PDA

View Full Version : How long...

clocker
08-04-2005, 03:58 AM
...does your PC take to boot?

From hitting the power button till your on the desktop with no hourglass.

Mine takes 31 seconds, most of which is going through BIOS screens.
Once I see the Windows screen I get less than one pass of the progress bar, a flash of the Welcome screen and then boink!, the desktop.

Just curious.

Mr. Mulder
08-05-2005, 05:43 PM
about the same, it was taking ages recently due to dual booting Vista Beta and XP but it seems to have sorted itself out after lagging for a serious amount of time on the XP boot screen, but on average, about half a minute :unsure:

Snee
08-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Mine takes a wee bit longer with XP I think, I think it's something KAV or outpost does.

EDit: I think something caches up definitions before it lets me into windows, it takes less than 30 secs to reach the welcome screen but a lot longer to get in (once I'm past the welcome screen everything is already loaded tho', so there is no hour glass :blink: ).

Win 2k takes even longer, while win98 is up and running in the blink of an eye (well not quite, but once it boots it goes like nothing else).

suprafreak6
08-05-2005, 06:23 PM
i heard having lots of fonts makes the boot time longer is that true?

lynx
08-05-2005, 07:46 PM
i heard having lots of fonts makes the boot time longer is that true?In general, yes, and they take up lots of memory too.

Is boot time relevant though, I only reboot about once every 2 months so a few seconds longer doesn't bother me one bit.

harrycary
08-05-2005, 10:43 PM
Mine is under a minute as well.

A friend of mine built a new rig complete with a 10,000rpm Sata HD.

Boots in about 3 seconds.

/jealous