PDA

View Full Version : divxplayer

Rizindon
08-05-2005, 09:54 PM
lookin for best divx player possible in the uk plz looked at few but all have mixed review any recomendations ??

wud like one where a film i downlaod burn it and play no hassle ! thanks

abu_has_the_power
08-05-2005, 10:20 PM
i have the phillips dvp-642. it's kinda old now, but it's still pimp as hell :pimp:

lynx
08-06-2005, 12:43 AM
Forget the dvp-642, it will never be available in Europe (official comment from Philips).

Best I've come across as a player only is the Yamada 6700, should cost about £40
http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=2028&category_id=207&manufacturer_id=0

I recently got a H&B HDD/DVD recorder.
http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=3320&category_id=207&manufacturer_id=0
Apart from the fact that the HDD was (quote) "totally stuffed" (it wasn't, the software simply refused to acknowledge it's presence 80% of the time) the software was completely inadequate and certainly did not play divx files as they should have been played. Needless to say it went back and I got a refund. From the software problems I wouldn't be surprised if this company is a subsidiary of Microsoft. Except that it is French, which explains the software problems immediately.

Given that the decoder chip in this player is the same as in the other H&B players, and from what I understand all the Kiss players, my recomendation would be that you avoid H&B and Kiss if your primary objective is Divx playback.

BTW, replaced the HDD/DVD recorder with a LG RH7500. Excellent quality, excellent recording/playback, perfect Divx reproduction. A few minor niggles, but considering that the unit has only just come on the market I imagine firmware upgrades may well fix those.

accat13
08-09-2005, 04:47 AM
I think the dvp-630 is the eu equivalent to the dvp-642 and the 642 does kick a** only had a few files out of hundreds that didn't want to play.Menu trick works on most problem files.

GonWild
08-09-2005, 06:10 PM
i recommend a BBK dvd player..they're all good, and plays just about any divx/xvid film as well. got a whole seinfeld season on one dvd...niice

abu_has_the_power
08-09-2005, 07:44 PM
I think the dvp-630 is the eu equivalent to the dvp-642 and the 642 does kick a** only had a few files out of hundreds that didn't want to play.Menu trick works on most problem files.
wat's the menu trick?

accat13
08-09-2005, 11:58 PM
It's very odd if the pic is blury(decoding issue) or the sound is off just a little, just press the "system menu " button on the remote.It clears up the issue sometimes.Almost like it gives the player time to think and decode properly. :)

muchspl3
08-10-2005, 01:00 AM
word

642 is the best IMO, I have bought 4 now for friends and family, makes my life so much easier (no more converting)

abu_has_the_power
08-10-2005, 06:48 AM
word

642 is the best IMO, I have bought 4 now for friends and family, makes my life so much easier (no more converting)
amen! plus i got it for free after getting a free $80 gift card for best buy. i am da pwnage! :01:

RealitY
08-10-2005, 08:04 AM
I have two of the 642 and it really is the best for the money...