PDA

View Full Version : Leeching Internet?

SpecialAgentPunk
08-06-2005, 04:09 AM
Anyone do this? I'm on a dialup modem. I borrowed a laptop and took it home, and was able to connect without using a phone jack dial up stuff.

I'm guessing this is because of the wireless card? So right now, I'm leeching off this high speed connection. How can I do this with a home pc?

Yoga
08-06-2005, 07:40 AM
WIth a desktop pc you probably need to install a wireless pci card.

SpecialAgentPunk
08-06-2005, 09:34 AM
would the owners of the connection be able to find out what websites I've visited?

{I}{K}{E}
08-06-2005, 09:36 AM
would the owners of the connection be able to find out what websites I've visited?

yes, if the URL grabber in the router is enabled

SpecialAgentPunk
08-06-2005, 09:37 AM
um, what is that? Do most people have that?

{I}{K}{E}
08-06-2005, 09:39 AM
um, what is that? Do most people have that?

a router can make a list of every site you visit. my router has this disabled by default.

SpecialAgentPunk
08-06-2005, 09:42 AM
man, this is risky. I want to dl pron, as I finally have a good connection for the time being. I'm guessing this person doesn't have a URL grabber since I've been using the connection for a while playing online games and watching movie trailers.

Is it illegal to do this, leeching?

{I}{K}{E}
08-06-2005, 09:44 AM
Is it illegal to do this, leeching?

its illegal

unauthorized access to a computer network is a third-degree felony.

SpecialAgentPunk
08-06-2005, 09:48 AM
ay, I guess I won't do it for my pc. I'll just use it for the laptop since it's only for a day or two now. Thanks Ike

edit: well I guess I won't be dl pron tonight ...

suprafreak6
08-06-2005, 05:56 PM
lol there was a guy on the news who got arrested for stealing internet...
he sat in a van infront of someones house with his laptop and leeched.
he got jail time LOL

SpecialAgentPunk
08-06-2005, 07:27 PM
he was probably doin something else illegal too.

SpecialAgentPunk
08-09-2005, 01:41 AM
would the owner of a wi-fi be able to tell which laptop is using their connection? How is the ID of a connection made, and can it be changed?

4play
08-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Im pretty sure his router will keep a list of mac adresses that have accessed it and since its unique to your computer it would not be hard to prove it is you. but he will not be able to find out exactly where you are.

just dont use all his bandwidth or pick odd times when most people are in bed and he will probably never know you are using his connection.

SpecialAgentPunk
08-09-2005, 10:53 PM
If I'm using a torrent program, will the file I'm downloading be tracked?

thanks for all the info guys

ilw
08-11-2005, 10:56 PM
In my albeit limited experience, if they haven't secured their network, they know dick all about what they're doing. In the places i've lived recently I've twice found completely open networks & that I could log into the router with default passwords. Also some (many?) routers don't have url logs, and chances are they wouldn't know how to use it.
I think htere are things you can do to hide you mac address, but its unnecessary as they won't be able to trace where you are and unless they're sure where you are they won't be able to check the mac address on your computer.
I think 4 play's advice is good, just resist the temptation to use it excessively (you'll probably cave eventually :D )and the other person will likely jsut think they've got a crappy connection. If you use it too much, chances are they'll figure out someone else is on and enable the security.
Not too sure about the legal things, if they don't secure it at all, then they're basicallly broadcasting and there wouldn't be any actual hacking involved?

Edit: for the torrent, probably the best the log of the router can do is provide a list of ip addresses for hte people who you downloaded the file from (but no details of the actual file)

erRor67
08-12-2005, 12:19 AM
If you can access the Gateway and log in as Admin you can disable the web url catcher and logs......... But of course the only way to log in as Admin is if the password and username is the defaults. Cause if the person changed it, they you wouldnt know the login info (you could hack it but bleh). But chances are, if you can connect to the router without a key (thats default) then they probably have the default login info. However, I do not recommend screwing the owner to making huge ass changes as it is his internet. Hacking just isnt cool. :)

Actually, I was able to do this. My friend has a router with the defaults (no key for wireless and default admin name and password). So all I had to do was connect and log onto the gateway. There I could make admin changes like disable/enable whatever. But in the end i didnt do anything cause it was my friend's router. I just told him to secure it.... The worst part is that the router wasnt even connected to the net! It was just for his computers to access his printer. :lol:

Spicker
08-12-2005, 12:52 AM
my router doesnt have the url grabber feature :(

zapjb
08-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Trust me without admitting anything. Zonet ZEW2501 IEEE 802.11b/g USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter rocks!

And Newegg has it on sale.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833130115

gsky
08-25-2005, 03:35 PM
i don't see how you using his connection is even illegal if it is unsecured. Go ahead and use it, but if they find out they will figure out how to secure the broadcast and you will not be able to use it anymore without doing something illegal. so like the others said, use it wisely and you will always have access to it.

Chewie
08-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Having just moved into a new flat I was rather surprised to find my PDA would connect to someone's wireless LAN and give me access to the internet.
I was pleased when I installed a wireless network card in my PC and it connected straight to the net (Shareaza works fine, too!) but was a little nonplussed to find the owner hadn't changed the admin user/password for the router. He has entered his email on the log notification page (although logs are disabled) so I could tell him about it...
Nah, I think I'll just carry on with the free broadband safe in the knowledge that if he notices, he'll have no way of finding me. :P

OnYx
08-26-2005, 08:28 PM
i had a similar question but what i did in my home was to make the router accept connections only from the specific mac addresses i assingned i think that made it possible so no one else can connect

Chewie
10-08-2005, 07:15 PM
:(
The guy who owns the connection I was using has turned security on and I can't connect LOL

erRor67
10-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Looks like the guy got smart.. Either he noticed that someone was leeching his internet or he found out about security.