enoughfakefiles
08-06-2005, 08:22 PM
I've been standing in the kitchen talking to some bacon :huh:

wtf is that all about? :blink:

Jonno :cool:

Have the eggs gone out. :unsure:

Jon L. Obscene
08-06-2005, 08:27 PM
No eggs, forgot to get em, sausages tho, talked to them too, bit worrying , prolly gonna hold a meeting with the beans :unsure:

{I}{K}{E}
08-06-2005, 08:30 PM
I've been standing in the kitchen talking to some bacon :huh:

wtf is that all about? :blink:

I talk to my nuts :rolleyes:

JPaul
08-06-2005, 08:33 PM
The big question is, did the bacon talk to you.

Rat Faced
08-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Does that mean you've been porking (to) your bacon?

i'll get me coat :(

Rat Faced
08-06-2005, 08:57 PM
I talk to my nuts :rolleyes:

I heard that relationship was much more than platonic :snooty:

Jon L. Obscene
08-06-2005, 08:58 PM

Possibly, I never listen when people talk anyway so I would'nt really know :rolleyes:
I do now know that I forgot to switch on the oven.......thats a bit of a shit :frusty:

JPaul
08-06-2005, 09:40 PM
You cook bacon in the oven.

You are indeed a mentalist.

Jon L. Obscene
08-07-2005, 01:12 PM
Yes, bacon contains enough fat and grease without having to fry it and add more. Also I do not have a grill.

manker
08-07-2005, 01:15 PM

Possibly, I never listen when people talk anyway so I wouldn't really know :rolleyes:

Jonno :cool:No shit.

I've just read the tail end of a thread where Nikki and JP spent ages explaining to you how the apostrophe works in a contraction :dry:

Jon L. Obscene
08-07-2005, 01:20 PM
And?

manker
08-07-2005, 01:23 PM
And?

Jonno :cool:I think it rather rude that you paid no heed at all to your friends when they tried to help.

JPaul
08-07-2005, 01:33 PM
FFS he's posting "conjunction Curly Wurly" now.

Is there no end to the madness.

Jon L. Obscene
08-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Well I find it rude that people feel the need to correct me. As I've said before, if I wish to know something, I will ask and you very helpful people usually help me.
I'm sorry but I'm not putting everything I type thru a spell checker cos some people get annoyed at spelling mistakes.

I did'nt even think of punctuation, just type it automatically.
Plus I'm tired, pissed off and just fell over onto my bike which has pissed me off even more.

So anything else you'd like to point out?

manker
08-07-2005, 01:42 PM
So anything else you'd like to point out?Sure. If you post a picture of yourself in-situ, I'd probably take the piss out of that too.

I'm in a bit of a rush tho' as I'm just off out to watch the Charity (Community) Shield.

Chop chop.

JPaul
08-07-2005, 01:46 PM

Poor or imprecise use of the language leads to misunderstanding, tension and strife.

Those who revel in this are selfish and think little of the people they are dealing with.

This is only my opinion, however it is also correct.

Virtualbody1234
08-07-2005, 01:58 PM
... As I've said before, if I wish to know something, I will ask and you very helpful people usually help me...

That's where you have set yourself up. Now you've asked. :ohmy:

Jon L. Obscene
08-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Poor or imprecise use of the language leads to misunderstanding, tension and strife.

Those who revel in this are selfish and think little of the people they are dealing with.

I don't understand that at all.

I just don't see the importance of pointing out a mistake in grammar or spelling, punctuation or anything else when you know what it means.
I typed Hieght......you knew what it meant.
I typed "Is'nt" .....you knew what I meant.
Why the need to correct it on a forum where more people on here type incorrectly and most of the words are bloody made up anyway.
I simply don't see what kick people get out of it.
Fair enough if you genuanly don't know what I've typed then ask, but why correct? I'm not on an exam nor job interview, simply and internet forum.

See my point?

JPaul
08-07-2005, 02:11 PM

I just don't see the importance of pointing out a mistake in grammar or spelling, punctuation or anything else when you know what it means.
Why the need to correct it on a forum where more people on here type incorrectly and most of the words are bloody made up anyway.
Fair enough if you genuanly don't know what I've typed then ask, but why correct? I'm not on an exam nor job interview, simply and internet forum.

See my point?

What makes you think I was referring to you.

I was, as you invited, pointing something out. It is my belief that poor communication leads to the things I said it did.

So I pointed it out.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you wanted.

Jon L. Obscene
08-07-2005, 03:12 PM
What makes you think I think you were reffering to me?
I answered your quote with the statement "I don't understand that at all"
I then gave a space......

...like so, and gave my opinion on the subject at hand.

NikkiD
08-07-2005, 03:12 PM

See my point?

How many times a day do I have to ask you for clarification of something you've said to me, because you've used slang terms or improper English?

It's an internet forum, yes. For many people here, English is not their first language. Many colloquialisms you use are not universal to English speaking people everywhere. Most often, a spelling error is recognizable to people who have a firm command of the English language, but to many, whose English is limited, it may not make any sense at all. Thus, communication is very important.

When all you have to express yourself is the written word, isn't it better when everyone can understand your words?

Jon L. Obscene
08-07-2005, 03:18 PM
First, yes slang, not spelling.I speak my native tounge, that is allowed, everyone I know understands me because thats how we speak.

An i and an e the wrong way round or an ' in the wrong place is hardly gonna be missunderstood.
And like I said, if you don't understand........ask.

I'm sorry I'm not as well spoken or have a "Firm grasp" of the english language as you guys, I'm me, take me and the way I speak/type how I am or not at all.

Either that or correct everyone.Or request admin to put a spellcheck on the board.

I simply don't see the need to correct someone all the time, a question which has yet to be answered.

Edit: Also you say type words everyone can understand.....I'm 100% sure I'm not the only one who barely understands some of the words some of you guys come out with. In that situation ,I ask.

{I}{K}{E}
08-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Ross and me found a spell check mod for vB ;)

I'll have a look how it works and if vB 3.5 is compatible

NikkiD
08-07-2005, 03:33 PM
First, yes slang, not spelling.I speak my native tounge, that is allowed, everyone I know understands me because thats how we speak.

Ah, so in other words, those who don't live in Sheringham can basically go to hell then, because we don't understand your local terms.

An i and an e the wrong way round or an ' in the wrong place is hardly gonna be missunderstood.
And like I said, if you don't understand........ask.

I do. As I said, several times a day. Wouldn't it be easier to say what you mean the first time, rather than having to explain it afterwards?

I'm sorry I'm not as well spoken or have a "Firm gasp" of the english language as you guys, I'm me, take me and the way I speak/type how I am or not at all.

And I'm a perfectionist, as YOU well know. Hence the nickname, "Monika". It's a natural instinct to correct things.

Either that or correct everyone.Or request admin to put a spellcheck on the board.

Apparently you only read the threads you post in, otherwise you'd notice all the times everyone corrects other people as well. I'm corrected sometimes, it's not a big deal. I don't always proofread my posts, so when I make an error and I miss it, I don't have an issue if someone else picks up on it. I take it as a bit of ribbing amongst friends.

I simply don't see the need to correct someone all the time, a question which has yet to be answered.

For my part, I'd say it's because I talk to you more often than most, so I probably correct you more often.

JPaul
08-07-2005, 03:40 PM
I take it as a bit of ribbing amongst friends.

If you didn't then I wouldn't jocularly correct you.

Well May bee jist a uoi bit.

Jon L. Obscene
08-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Ah, so in other words, those who don't live in Sheringham can basically go to hell then, because we don't understand your local terms.

I "Speak" fine, you know that. I can't spell and my punctuation is bad, you know that too.
I don't see what the problem is.

I do. As I said, several times a day. Wouldn't it be easier to say what you mean the first time, rather than having to explain it afterwards?

So you did'nt understand "Hieght" nor "Is'nt"?
Yu asked yesterday about "Happy as larry" , it's a saying I'm sure many people on here have heard of.
Rabbiting, meaning talking a lot, you never heard of that, but many on here have. it's cultural differences, everyone is right because it's how they speak where they come from, you spell mum, mom, to me......thats wrong, in school and in the english dictionary it's "mum", I do try to type so you can understand what I say, but I do use slang, always have , always will.etc etc.

And I'm a perfectionist, as YOU well know. Hence the nickname, "Monika". It's a natural instinct to correct things.

And I'm uptight and fik and don't wanna be corrected.
So my response is as justfied as your correction.

Apparently you only read the threads you post in, otherwise you'd notice all the times everyone corrects other people as well. I'm corrected sometimes, it's not a big deal. I don't always proofread my posts, so when I make an error and I miss it, I don't have an issue if someone else picks up on it. I take it as a bit of ribbing amongst friends.

Thats fine, you're you.......I'm me. I take a ribbing, I'm just sensitive about spelling correction, I find it a personal insult and all I see it as is people trying to say "Look you spelt that wrong, means I'm cleverer than you"
Call it childish or whatever, thats a fact.

For my part, I'd say it's because I talk to you more often than most, so I probably correct you more often.

But you don't correct me, not very often because you know I don't like it.

Jon L. Obscene
08-07-2005, 03:43 PM

You see?
I have absolutely no idea what that word means.

But I make a spelling mistake and aprently no one can understand me.

JPaul
08-07-2005, 03:49 PM
What makes you think I think you were reffering to me?

The words you used and the order you used them in.

Oh and you've got your tenses a bit mixed up there. "think" is present tense, "were" is past tense.

So really you want is "What makes you think you I think you are ...." or "What makes you think I thought you were ...."

Or even better you could also change "makes" to "made", which would give you "What made you think, I thought you were ..." which is what I think you really meant.

Jon L. Obscene
08-07-2005, 03:52 PM
No because you're reffering to past tense, I'm reffering to present tense.
You still think I I thought you were reffering to me.

NikkiD
08-07-2005, 03:52 PM

You see?

It means, in a joking manner. If you don't understand a word, there is a dictionary. I'm not embarrassed to say that I use it frequently to refine what I'm saying or clarify my understanding of what someone else has said.

JPaul
08-07-2005, 03:55 PM

You see?

Why should I refrain from using a word, on the possibility that it's not in your own personal lexicon.

Given the context and the look of the word it's pretty easy to divine it's meaning anyway.

Jon L. Obscene
08-07-2005, 03:55 PM
So why did he not just say "I don't understand"?
I did'nt understand that word, so the use of it is no different to what you are acusing me of with confusing people with spelling mistakes, difference being, mine are unintentional, that word was typed intentionally and is probably used by a very small percentage of people, educated upper class word is what it is, fik workers like me don't understand it.

NikkiD
08-07-2005, 04:00 PM
I did'nt understand that word, so the use of it is no different to what you are acusing me of with confusing people with spelling mistakes, difference being, mine are unintentional, that word was typed intentionally and is probably used by a very small percentage of people, educated upper class word is what it is, fik workers like me don't understand it.

I'm not educated and I knew what it meant.

There is a difference, that being someone using real words as opposed to slang or misspelled words. Real words can be looked up to understand their meaning. Slang or misspelled words aren't always as easy to decipher.

Jon L. Obscene
08-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Any slang you care to mention I can find you a meaning.

And yes you are educated, you know you have a much higher mental ability than me.
You have qualifications........that makes you educated, I don't have any qualifications.
You also told me you passed English 95%.......that makes you educated in the english language.

NikkiD
08-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Any slang you care to mention I can find you a meaning.

And yes you are educated, you know you have a much higher mental ability than me.
You have qualifications........that makes you educated, I don't have any qualifications.
You also told me you passed English 95%.......that makes you educated in the english language.

How, exactly, am I educated? You've completed a higher level of education than I have.

Jon L. Obscene
08-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Excuse me?

I got 5 gcse's (barely) cheated on my english exam to get a pass.

How am I more educated than you?
I thought you had 95% in english? and some sort of computing qualification?

I have a low (Highest being the c for english) gcse in maths, english, science, woodwork and media studies.

NikkiD
08-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Excuse me?

I got 5 gcse's (barely) cheated on my english exam to get a pass.

How am I more educated than you?
I thought you had 95% in english? and some sort of computing qualification?

I have a low (Highest being the c for english) gcse in maths, english, science, woodwork and media studies.

GSCE is the equivalent of our high school, correct? You completed it. I didn't. My final year of high school, I missed half the year because of surgery. I didn't get my credits, even though I had a 96% average, because I had missed too many classes. I didn't go back the following year to complete it because I got pregnant and subsequently got married.

Higher marks doesn't mean more educated. You'd get a job more easily than I would simply because you have a diploma (or the equivalent) which I don't.

Most knowledge I've achieved is through reading, self teaching, or hands on experience, not formal education.

Jon L. Obscene
08-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Exactly, you have educated yourself more than I have, ok so you don't got a certificate....nor have I come to that cos I never collected it, I cheated to get my grades proving that I don't deserve them which is why I did'nt pick them up.
The fact you averaged 96% proves you are better educated than me in general.

Big up Nik, I'm making you look good here :D take it as a compliment ;)

JPaul
08-07-2005, 04:45 PM

Yeah, good point.

Using perfectly good words, which people can look up in a dictionary if they don't understand them, is analagous with posting in a way which people find difficult to decipher.

If you had your way everyone would use "nice speak". What's the point in having subtlety of meaning. It would certainly shorten the dictionary, let's do away with;

OK, admirable, agreeable, amiable, approved, attractive, becoming, charming, commendable, considerate, copacetic, cordial, courteous, cultured, decorous, delightful, ducky, favorable, friendly, gasser, genial, gentle, good, gracious, groovy, helpful, hunky-dory, ingratiating, inviting, kind, kindly, lovely, neato, nifty, obliging, peachy, phat, pleasant, pleasurable, polite, prepossessing, seemly, simpatico, superior, swell, unpresumptuous, welcome, well-mannered, winning, winsome

and substitute them with nice.

Jon L. Obscene
08-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Did you not understand what I meant when I posted "Is'nt"?

My point is we type/speak how we type and speak ffs.
You have your way, I have mine, I refuse to put all my posts throught a spellchecker.
I learn something new every day in the form of spelling and grammar etc, was'nt until a few months ago I found out thank you is 2 words. I hated english at school, therefore I will learn it at my own pace.

If you're going to use words I don't understand then you have no right to moan/correct me when I use words you don't understand.
the way I speak is not made up by me, its the creation of my surroundings.

ffs jp if you typed the way you speak not many people would understand you would they?
I type the way I speak, people understand me when I talk.

JPaul
08-07-2005, 04:58 PM
I do type the way I speak.

I can assure you I never use words here that I don't use in real life, both spoken and written communication.

Your position is basically, feck it this is the way I am, I can't be arsed making it easier for people to understand me so I won't bother.

That's a matter for you, however it does illustrate what you think of the people you deal with.

Jon L. Obscene
08-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Yeah so I just been told.

I'm short tempered and not good atm.

I apologise to all concerned.

Jonno

sArA
08-07-2005, 05:05 PM
I would contend that Jonno, on the whole is perfectly coherent and articulate enough to be understood by the overwhelming majority of forum members.

On occasion however JP, particularly when you get with J2K4 and manker, your use of language and nuance can quite impenetrable.

NikkiD
08-07-2005, 05:07 PM
Did you not understand what I meant when I posted "Is'nt"?

My point is we type/speak how we type and speak ffs.
You have your way, I have mine, I refuse to put all my posts throught a spellchecker.
I learn something new every day in the form of spelling and grammar etc, was'nt until a few months ago I found out thank you is 2 words. I hated english at school, therefore I will learn it at my own pace.

If you're going to use words I don't understand then you have no right to moan/correct me when I use words you don't understand.
the way I speak is not made up by me, its the creation of my surroundings.

ffs jp if you typed the way you speak not many people would understand you would they?
I type the way I speak, people understand me when I talk.

That's the whole point of what I was saying Jon. You use colloquialisms (phrases which are best spoken orally). When you talk it makes sense. In text, it doesn't make sense.

I don't type the way I speak. (Although at times I'm guilty of run-on sentences, so that's not neccessarily true.) It wouldn't make much sense if I did. People often speak in phrases, rather than sentences, which don't translate to the written word well.

I also take the time to read through what I've written and make sure that I'm getting my meaning across. I often edit if I find I can express something more clearly.

Why do you find it okay for you to type as you speak, and think that everyone should understand you, when you say yourself, if JP were to do the same thing, no one would understand him?

Jon L. Obscene
08-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Thats a 2 way question, works both ways and I never corrected jp, I asked.

Besides, we've proven I'm in the wrong and I've apologised, I simply just wanted to answer that question considering it was posed to me.

As I say, I'm sorry.

Jonno

JPaul
08-07-2005, 05:10 PM
I would contend that Jonno, on the whole is perfectly coherent and articulate enough to be understood by the overwhelming majority of forum members.

On occasion however JP, particularly when you get with that J2K4, your use of language and nuance can quite impenetrable.
Yes but you know as well as I do that's just having a larf. Playing with words as it were.

Different folk find different things entertain them. I just happen to enjoy wordery. I really do enjoy a well turned sentence. I find the works of PG Wodehouse quite delightful.

j2 however just talks pish.

[The above was brought to you without the assistance of a comma.)

Jon L. Obscene
08-07-2005, 05:16 PM
In any case, Jonno, I hope you and the bacon are getting along and enjoying life in the kitchen. :)

Yeah the bacon understood me fine, so maybe it's just this lot are not as intelligent and multilingual as bacon........hmm.......there's a thought *chinrub thing can't be arsed to look for code*

sArA
08-07-2005, 05:16 PM

Nah.....he just enjoys the art of obfuscation.

JPaul
08-07-2005, 05:17 PM
[The above was brought to you without the assistance of a comma.)

An admirable and significant savings of cyber-ink.

I, commend, your, efforts,.
I mixed me parenthesis by way of celebration.

JPaul
08-07-2005, 05:19 PM

Nah.....he just enjoys the art of obfuscation.
Leading to discombobulation amongst his viewers.

He's actually just afraid that someone may understand what he's actually saying. The sly old communist.

JPaul
08-07-2005, 05:33 PM
"Here's a Guinness, Dave", I'm sure he'd snatch it right out of my hand, and before I was done speaking.

How would he know it was for him.

The last thing you do is identify who the Guiness is for (well actually all you do is identify what it is to him, but we'll leave that to one side.).

Given that "Dave" is a two syllable word and I would suggest a morpheme he really has to hear the whole thing before he can establish the Guiness is for him.

What a rude, presumptuous bar steward he is, snatching that Guiness away in such a manner.

I despair.

JPaul
08-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Leading to discombobulation amongst his viewers.

In all my time here I have not committed one act of discombobulation or obfuscation.

Zero.

Zip.

Slant.

Doodly-squat.

Naught. ;)
Hah, that's why we call you discombobfuscation boy.