PDA

View Full Version : Most private torrent site are kinda bad.. huh...?

Formula1
08-07-2005, 04:31 AM
my main grievance with private torrent sites, is that they have TTL (time to live) , which is a limited time a torrent can be on a website. I was a member of elitetorrents.org and it didnt have this crap... does anyone know a ptivate torrent site like ET, that enforces good ratios and doesnt have this crappy TTL limitation...?

Im a member at torrentdamage, torrentbytes, filelist, and they all do this TTL crap...

BigTim
08-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Demonoid is pretty good, I think.

I'm not entirely sure what TTL is (I've never really heard of that phrase before) - but if what you mean is torrents are removed after a certain time, then I don't think that's too much of a problem with Demonoid. There are still torrents on there from months ago.

I've always good pretty high speeds fo Demonoid - they do enforce good ratios, but they're fair with it.

FischBaum
08-07-2005, 10:14 AM
it is really too bad, that ET is down.
try wild-bytes. it is a small site and if your ratio goes down just create a new account

RPerry
08-07-2005, 11:33 AM
bitsoup doesn't have that anymore :)

Dredpirate
08-07-2005, 02:50 PM
With all the good things you get from a private site, I don't think a thing like that matters. I don't even think it is being enforced on a lot of sites even if the FAQ says they have TTL. (Tons of torrents at Pisexy are a month past the TTL).

You want something reseeded, just ask. Have a new request, just ask. Try that on a non-private tracker. Good luck.

{I}{K}{E}
08-07-2005, 03:06 PM
my main grievance with private torrent sites, is that they have TTL (time to live) , which is a limited time a torrent can be on a website. I was a member of elitetorrents.org and it didnt have this crap... does anyone know a ptivate torrent site like ET, that enforces good ratios and doesnt have this crappy TTL limitation...?

Im a member at torrentdamage, torrentbytes, filelist, and they all do this TTL crap...

because they only want 0day stuff.
if you want 'older' stuff you should learn how to use newsgroups

if you check those stats lots and lots of torrents that still have 100 TTL only have 2 leechers. so why keep em alive :huh:

wimpynet
08-08-2005, 04:41 AM
i love pisexy, it has a torrent for a longgg time

maebach
08-08-2005, 05:12 AM
i love pisexy, it has a torrent for a longgg time

sometimes too long :dry:

geewhizz
08-10-2005, 02:48 AM
Private torrents are the best torrents

Eclectic_Loner
08-10-2005, 10:16 AM
What makes private torrents so special?

reaktor
08-10-2005, 05:06 PM
I guess people feel elite or safe that nothing will happen to their site because its private. Its actually a double edge sword though if you ask me. From my experience I have seen people get very angry and even threaten to report sites to the authorities, all because they cant get in.

So in the end, I personally dont think they are so special. They just might have some newer content that you might not see elsewhere at that time.

{I}{K}{E}
08-10-2005, 05:17 PM

less leechers.
beter speeds
:D

Dredpirate
08-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Not all private sites are special.

But what makes a really good private site so special?

It all boils down to the members and staff. With that you get the following:

1. Quaility. Only the best quaility stuff is allowed. There may be only one version of an album or movie there, but they will probably be the best available.

2. Less leechers/hit-an-runners. Most of the bad stuff you here about private sites is probably from people who stop sharing once they get what they want. Then they get kicked off the site (Banned) and come over here and talk crap.

3. Speed. If your using dial-up, you won't see much of a difference. But if you got a decent connection (oh my god) you can get all the speed you can handle. I have a 5Mb/s down and 385Kb/s cable connection. On Pirate bay I'm probably the upper 5 percent of the users. On some private sites I use, I am in the bottom five (not good for my ratio but great for downloading). To give real examples: I downloaded 4.5GB the other day and my speed averaged 4.5 Mb/s. The highest speed I ever got from a public tracker was 2.5Mb/s and with the wild flucuations it maybe averaged 1Mb/s.

4. It's a cummunity where people help people get what there looking for. Want something reseeded just ask. I've seen requests like that answered by 5 to 10 seeders with high speed connections in a matter of minutes.

5. You won't get stuck at 99.8% downloaded. lol

6. Selection. Alot of people might disagree with this, but trust me it's true. Almost everything (worth having) on public trackers or the search engines was origanally uploaded to a private tracker and then distributed from there. So anything you find on the public trackers can be found on the private ones but not visa versa. To use an example to prove my point, if your into audiobooks there is a single private tracker that has more then all the public ones combined.

Drawbacks to Private Trackers:

1. If you don't want to share and keep a good ratio, don't bother messing around with private trackers. Any good one will ban you in a heartbeat. Most do understand that your upload speed may be limited compared to your download speed (like mine) and don't require 1:1 ratios. But they do want 1:1 ratios and require people to at least try.

2. The better the tracker, the harder it is to find it and to get in it. The best ones basically require you to show them a portfolio of your torrenting and it will need to be at least 1:1 ratios with alot of GB's up and down. If you don't ever use a private tracker you will have nothing to show. So you have to start with easy to get on trackers that are not so good and work your way up.

3. You never really know whats on a site until you put out a bunch of effort to get in. Sometimes it just a waste of time cause your into movies and once you finally get on a site you find out that its all about music or books. Or sometime the site just sucks or is too new and does not have enough members or torrents. (New sites are good to get on though, never know if it might be the next "elitetorrents" and they are usually very forgiving until there membership is high enough).

Are the sites safer to use? I'm sure there are some trackers sites that the feds could never find but in general probably not safer. Actually the Feds and MPAA don't seem to give a crap lately about the big public trackers, cause they suck and they know the good stuff comes from the private sites. Anyway, so far nobody is getting messed with except sysops, uploader teams or real pirates (not Dredpirates) who burn and sell the stuff they download.

My rant is over now but I could have easily made this post longer.

Alexxx^_^
10-16-2006, 06:23 PM
Private torrents are the best torrents
indeed.

Melvinmeow
10-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Dunno about other sites. But mine doesnt use TTL even though it lists the date the torrent was posted. We auto delete them after nobody has connected to them for 5 days. If nobodys seeded/leeched a file within that amount of time and want it they can just request it again. Weve had alot of files make it since June so far. (When we re-opened the site)

delimare
10-16-2006, 08:58 PM
I love TTL. Out with the old and in with the new. Keeps things fresh.

razel
10-16-2006, 09:13 PM
private trackers such as torrentleech, bitmetv are the best.

Great speeds;

Always finish what you start;

Great quality;

Suphix
10-16-2006, 09:22 PM
you get them sooner and they download faster (most of the time)

and yeah... if you want a site that doesnt have a so called TTL then demonoid is great... has loads of old stuff on it.

Melvinmeow
10-16-2006, 11:39 PM
If your planning on using Demonoid I would recommend you run an updated peerguardian blocklist. That sites crawling with riaa and mpaa.

DKre8ive1
10-17-2006, 08:09 AM

There aint no such thing as a private torrent but more like a private site that has torrents that it offers and what makes them special is I guess that you get faster downloads due to having ratios in place and usally ppl willing to stay and share the file for long periods of time.