PDA

View Full Version : Are you with NTL? Get ready for 10mb!

Peerzy
08-09-2005, 03:34 PM
NTL has become the first major UK ISP to breakthrough the 8Mbps barrier by offering 10Mbps as its standard broadband speed.

All the cable operator's 1.5 million customers will be offered a free upgrade with no additional monthly fee, beginning with its current 3Mbps subscribers. Users will also be able to choose a usage allowance, priced accordingly, to match their requirements, with a tool provided to monitor usage; an uncapped option will be provided.

The first upgrades will take place before the end of the year. As a bonus 3Mbps subscribers will also see their usage limit raised from 30GB to 75GB per month. All upgrades will be completed by the end of 2006, by which time NTL may have begun the process of merging with the UK's other cable operator, Telewest.

Our broadband services will become amongst the most innovative in the world and certainly well ahead of anything else in the UK,' said Simon Duffy, NTL's CEO. 'This is a major step towards delivering Britain's digital future.'

NTL believes that the faster connections will speed the evolution of the connected home as well as promoting the take up of content-based online services, such as video-on-demand, videoconferencing, online gaming, IP telephony and HDTV.

While the 10Mbps implementation takes place, NTL is set to begin a commercial pilot of its flexible bandwidth technology. This gives users a 'Turbo Button' to boost their speed, to make a particular task quicker.

Beyond 10Mbps, the company is looking to provide services based on DOCSIS 3.0 over cable and ADSL 2+ over copper technologies, with speeds in excess of 30Mbps. Moving to a single 10Mbps speed, it says, will make future increases easier and quicker to deliver. A trial currently underway in Chorleywood is already delivering speeds of up to 20Mbps.

'Moving 1.5 million customers to a connection of up to 10Mb is a major initiative. However, we have full confidence in our ability to complete this programme in 2006 by leveraging our next generation platform,' Duffy said.

Source (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/75953/ntl-the-first-to-10-for-broadband.html)

:01: :01: :01:

thegoodfight
08-10-2005, 05:50 PM
wow lol, just a shame there is no way my town is ever gonna get cabled, have to stick with good ole zen 1mbit

Bebi
11-10-2005, 11:24 AM
*bump* I wish they would hurry up... I bet they release it as late as they can:angry::frusty::rolleyes:

I am 3mb currently so I should get the nice wee bonus ;)

Samurai
11-10-2005, 12:02 PM
Enjoy the capping :)

Meanwhile I'll still be enjoying my 8MB DSL with no caps, and very low price.

I will however be switching in Dec/Jan to "Be Internet" once my exchange gets upgraded with their equipment. 23MB DSL for £24. Free modem / router (wireless of course) and ZERO caps.

NTL shot themselves in the foot when they went the capping route. I don't care if they offered 50MB for the prices they charge. There's no sense in getting fantastic speeds if you can't use it to the fullest extent.

Bebi
11-10-2005, 12:07 PM
well I am a big downloader of films and I RARELY ever go over 15gb... although I only download new films and its not everyday a new one comes out that is decent to watch

Samurai
11-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Well I'm looking at around 200-300GB per month on average with my ISP. I've hit extreme cases where I've got around 450GB, but I'll always be safe knowing that I'll never get a letter coming through the door or a telephone call telling me my access is going to be limited, or in other cases, a sudden decrease in speed so it drops down to 56k.

I'm going to be in 7th Heaven when I finally get that 20MB+ DSL line.

totalwar
11-12-2005, 12:40 AM
I getting adsl2 22meg dl and 756kbs upload with uk-online and only £29.99 PM paying more then that now for just 2meg dl lol.

Samurai
11-12-2005, 03:22 AM
I getting adsl2 22meg dl and 756kbs upload with uk-online and only £29.99 PM paying more then that now for just 2meg dl lol.

Check out "Be Internet" before you go ahead. I'll be going with them when my exchange gets a refurb in Dec. Plus they give you a free modem worth £100, no caps and no port blocking :01:

Peerzy
11-12-2005, 10:38 AM
Enjoy the capping :)

Meanwhile I'll still be enjoying my 8MB DSL with no caps, and very low price.

I will however be switching in Dec/Jan to "Be Internet" once my exchange gets upgraded with their equipment. 23MB DSL for £24. Free modem / router (wireless of course) and ZERO caps.

NTL shot themselves in the foot when they went the capping route. I don't care if they offered 50MB for the prices they charge. There's no sense in getting fantastic speeds if you can't use it to the fullest extent.

All the cable operator's 1.5 million customers will be offered a free upgrade with no additional monthly fee, beginning with its current 3Mbps subscribers. Users will also be able to choose a usage allowance, priced accordingly, to match their requirements, with a tool provided to monitor usage; an uncapped option will be provided.

:rolleyes:

Samurai
11-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Fair enough, but the way it's worded sounds like there will be an extra charge involved, thus making it not really uncapped per sé as you'll be paying for it anyway.

totalwar
11-12-2005, 01:01 PM

Check out "Be Internet" before you go ahead. I'll be going with them when my exchange gets a refurb in Dec. Plus they give you a free modem worth £100, no caps and no port blocking :01:

was going to go too them but they are to new no background I think they going to be keeping an I on filesharing.So that why I back out with them.

Samurai
11-12-2005, 02:15 PM
they're a team from sweden i think, who revolutionised their country's dsl. they came over here to do the same. they can't be worse than bulldog, and i think they have a 1 month contract as well.

Gripper
11-12-2005, 03:12 PM
10 Mbps rollout to commence on November 8th

# Nov 7, 04:43 PM by Paul Marsden

According to information received from a number of sources by Cable Forum, ntl are to commence the rollout of the new 10 Mbps service from Tuesday November 8th.

According to the information provided to us, the new service will be available from today. Initially it should be for existing 3 Mbps customers, and it comes with a new 75GB monthly download allowance, the price will currently remain the same – at £37.99 per month.

So far it appears that no automatic upgrades are happening, but the new option is available to new customers, and people who upgrade from lower tiers. Sources from ntl tell us that existing 3 Mbps customers should contact the retentions department and request the new service.

According to ntl, once the rollout to existing 3 Mbps customers has been completed, the rollout to the 2 Mbps & 1 Mbps customers will commence in 2006. The price of these is also expected to remain the same (at £24.99 and £17.99). They will however have lower monthly limits (the current 30GB and 3GB respectivly being the most likely values).

Cable Forum also believe that ntl have plans to offer a number of lower speed ‘uncapped’ services. They have already indicated that heavy users will be moved to a 512Kbps uncapped service at £17.99, we believe that further services for £24.99 and £37.99 will also be offered, the most likely speeds being 1Mbps and 2Mbps. We will of course keep you informed as more information becomes available.

Source (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/203/10-mbps-rollout-to-commence-on-november-8th)

Gripper
12-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Its here http://www.ntlworld.com/microsites/10/faq.php
!0mb broad band,75gb cap only 500k up what would that work out at?
I'm on 2mb now so i can do 200 kBs down and 25kBs up.

Gripper
12-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Its bloody amazing,I was d/loading at 1.1mbps today,I didn't think my comp could take it,amazing to see,wish I could u/load quicker though :(

Gripper
05-06-2006, 08:24 AM
NTL are introducing unlimited on all the broadband,not that they've given me any crap about any way
http://www.ntlworld.com/helpsupport/alerts/broadband_upgrade_3may_2006.php?page_zone=219.4.1