PDA

View Full Version : Champions League 3rd Round

Peerzy
08-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Well tonight the 3rd round of the Champions League kicks off, if teh teams win over 2 legs they go through to the group stages. Man Utd & Liverpool have pretty easy rides through as long as they don't play sides too weak.

Everton on the other hand have a rather tough match against last seasons La Liga 3rd place team, Villarreal.

It's going to be an extreamly touch match for Everton to get through. Not only do they have to contain last seasons joint top goalscorer in Europe (Along with Henry) but Argentina's star midfielder Juan Roman Riquelme. He's certainly a threat and loves to pick up the ball dribble through the defence and let off a top corner strike.

Man Utd v Debrecen - BBC1 8PM (8.05PM Kick-Off)
CSKA Sofia v Liverpool
Everton v Villarreal - ITV2 7.30PM (8.05PM Kick-Off)
Anorthosis Famagusta v Rangers

What do people think? I see Man Utd, Liverpool & Rangers getting through easly, Everton getting a 1-1 draw on the first leg and then losing it 3-1 on the second leg.

dinner123
08-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Well I dont think Everton will make it through now. They really needed to win at home, as they have little or no chance of winning away. Man U just need an away goal now to seal entry into the group stage.
Am I right in thinking Everton will enter the Uefa Cup if they get knocked out this round?

manker
08-10-2005, 10:41 AM
I went up to watch Man Utd last night.

The game was good, Rooney and Ronaldo were outstanding, but the atmosphere pretty much sucked. Vast sections of the ground were empty - mainly season ticket holder's seats who stayed away in protest.

I've been up to watch them around, I duno, 30-40 times in the last three years and I have never seen the ground like this, even for Worthless Cup games :(

People shouted at me when I into the Megastore to buy some gifts for my Son :(

Still, I got wasted and had a right laugh with my mates ... so all was not lost.

Also, Darren Fletcher was the pick of the midfield, he looked a cut above Scholes and Keane - which is not something you see everyday.

manker
08-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Well I dont think Everton will make it through now. They really needed to win at home, as they have little or no chance of winning away. Man U just need an away goal now to seal entry into the group stage.
Am I right in thinking Everton will enter the Uefa Cup if they get knocked out this round?I think Everton are fucked too :(

I don't think they'll go into the UEFA Cup if they get knocked out, I believe that privilege is reserved for people who get knocked out at the group stage.

Tho' maybe I'm wrong, couldn't be arsed to read this (http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/19071.pdf) http://moderation.invisionzone.com/style_emoticons/default/dabs.gif

Peerzy
08-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Yeah they get knocked out for good i they fook up in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds before the group stages.

Juan Roman Riquelme was man of the match and he didn't score, showed how well he played and helped setup both goals.

Man Utd wern't at there best. RVN had a few chances i thought in the first half that his first touch let him down. To be honest there goal should have counted as well, he hardly touched him and a great finish. Ronaldo was pretty good, he took the ball to the corner with his back to the goal and beat 3 people then got near the penalty area and tried a drive :dry: With all his skill and trickery it's all let down by his need to hit the deck. About 3 months ago he said he was cleaning up his act and would not be diving anymore. Flash forward a month to the FA Cup final, 8 minutes into the game Ronaldo does some kinda superman dive into the box holding his knee, replays show no one even went within a foots length of him. Ref booked him for it :01:

The first goal was RVN's lack of a decent first touch and the luck of the ball falling to Rooney who put the ball away very well.

manker
08-10-2005, 01:10 PM
He was right in front of me when he took three players on and he did not dive.

He wouldn't have been able to collect the ball after taking on the fourth because it went too far in front of him but he was taken out by a defender just outside the box. A good call by the ref.

Park looked really quick and sharp when he came on and Smiffy was pretty good in midfield when he came on for Keane, Sir Alex seems to have made a good call by moving him to midfield :01:

manker
08-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Besides, Robben was falling all over the place in the Charity match I seen on the weekend. What's the point in diving while playing in a meaningless friendly. He didn't even play that well.

Drogba also decided to roll about on the ground as if a sniper shot him when Senderos touched his calf with his shinpad inside the penalty area :dry:

Peerzy
08-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Besides, Robben was falling all over the place in the Charity match I seen on the weekend. What's the point in diving while playing in a meaningless friendly. He didn't even play that well.

Drogba also decided to roll about on the ground as if a sniper shot him when Senderos touched his calf with his shinpad inside the penalty area :dry:

Yup Drogba did dive and it was stupid. Robben was far from his best, he was hardly jumping on the floor. He had that come bash with Ashley Cole where he got flipped over onto his back but i think that was less of a dive and more he went in too quickly.

Crespo also took the bal to the corner and held it there for a good 30 seconds to waste time in a friendly, which was gay as well. From the TV is looked like Ronaldo had dived, and lets face it, he has a record of hitting the deck.

manker
08-10-2005, 01:43 PM
I'd stopped watching it for the Crespo incident, it was a bit boring so I decided to play some pool.

That's the thing about Ronaldo now, everytime he goes down, people think he's diving. I doubt he'll be able to get rid of that stigma since he has been guilty of some appalling over-acting :(

maebach
08-12-2005, 02:09 AM
I'd stopped watching it for the Crespo incident, it was a bit boring so I decided to play some pool.

That's the thing about Ronaldo now, everytime he goes down, people think he's diving. I doubt he'll be able to get rid of that stigma since he has been guilty of some appalling over-acting :(

Whenever we I talk about acting the best acting was done by Rivaldo in World Cup 2002 against Turkey (I think), got the other guy red carded. he got hit on his shin, grabbed his face and rolled on the ground.

manker
08-12-2005, 02:28 AM

Whenever we I talk about acting the best acting was done by Rivaldo in World Cup 2002 against Turkey (I think), got the other guy red carded. he got hit on his shin, grabbed his face and rolled on the ground.I think it may well have been Turkey, I remember the incident really well but not the opposition.

Never respected the guy in the same way after that. All he wanted to do was get the player sent off. A fantastic player tho'.

DarthInsinuate
08-12-2005, 10:01 AM
it was Turkey, and he was hit in the body http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivaldo

but fantastic indeed

http://www.soccercommercials.com/