Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Content or Community

Quote Originally Posted by pen15 View Post
    Would you rather join a site like uk-t that has a tight knit community or a site like ptp which has a lot of content but lacks security

For me security is important but I don't see the point of going to a site just to chat.

Very good Question!

A few months ago I would have certainly gone for the answer content but now after being around for some time in bittorrent community I know the matters are not so simple.Indeed content is important but from where that content comes from? It is the same that a man needs bread to live but from where that bread comes from. The anwer is from the community. If there is no community then there is no bread. So.... it is same on a tracker ...content comes from the community. if we need content then we surely need community. Well ask me the question .. what is the best way to use a tracker? The anwere is dig in into the community. You would feel every single tracker is a top tracker. You make friends on one tracker .. the same friends may get you into the most elite trackers. But do you need elite trackers if you have friends in the community! You can request any rare hard to find thing and indeed one of your friends would be generous enough to get if for you. But is it only a few material things for which we need community? I don't think so.

I think it is in the blood of a human being to belong, move into and love a community. In the presence of friends we find security, warmth and comfort. So for me now the community factor is more important.
    Last edited by RizKhan25000; 07-22-2009 at 01:54 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #42
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    i wouldn't go to a tracker to get to know people, for that i have my real life, it's much funnier.
    what i see the most lately in the bt world, is kids with a severe lack of social skills, that naturally reflect on their real personality.
    the main error here is assuming people would go join a place looking for a community. It's just plain wrong. You join a place for its contents, after all this is a piracy scene, and eventually you stumble upon the other people who are there, and even more eventually you will feel like interact with them.
    This is how a normal tracker socialization process should work, not the other way around.
    this is why when i see someone saying he is the "community type guy", i feel like piss on his boots.
    Last edited by Cabalo; 07-22-2009 at 01:58 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #43
    beshawn's Avatar The Unseen

4. BitTorrent   -   #44
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Without good, original content, a tracker is nothing but a lonely teenage boy's chatroom.
    Now go away.

5. BitTorrent   -   #45
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by RizKhan25000 View Post

A few months ago I would have certainly gone for the answer content but now after being around for some time in bittorrent community I know the matters are not so simple.Indeed content is important but from where that content comes from? It is the same that a man needs bread to live but from where that bread comes from. The anwer is from the community. If there is no community then there is no bread.
    I always thought that bread came from grain .Shows how much I know.

6. BitTorrent   -   #46
    Qlix's Avatar saving forever BT Rep: +1
    Tracker + Community? That's sooooo 2008

7. BitTorrent   -   #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemrod View Post
    Obviously there are exceptions but if you were to pick one or the other which one would it be.

I canīt honestly answer your question as you expect.
    The main reason for me being active in any given site is that I feel comfortable... furthermore, I am active in many trackers but my type of activity or my behavior may be quite different from one site to another. I have sites that I use only for getting stuff (leech, seed and never seen their forums), in others I am happy being active in forums... I even have sites where I like to read the forums and never post. In a few I like more to upload poo or fill requests... at this point and after many years I have only 1 or maybe 2 sites where I can say that they are perfect. I can find there all I need and I want:

Now you could ask me what makes me feel so comfortable... Iīd say, the perfect combination in the right doses of all aspects involving what from my understanding itīs torrenting supposed to be: mature and respectful community, nice and fair staff, security of course, good content, the possibility of allow users to do something else... etc.
    Perfect Answer

8. BitTorrent   -   #48
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    A huge tracker with heaps of content + a IRC channel.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

9. BitTorrent   -   #49
    n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5
    I just don't understand why sites like uk-t and fsc have no activity. Wouldn't being at a rare site encourage one to be active.
    is that coming from a guy who is a member at both the places?
    if not, comments like these from guys who dun know shit about these places does nothing more than pissing others off.

last time i checked both of them are pretty active for the userbase they have..but yeah, its a fact that most of the members on these trackers also have memberships on other trackers as well.. so that does take its toll on leeching activity of the trackers concerned.
    I am yet to come across anyone who uses one site and only one alone for content needs..but ofc it depends on the individual in question..

As far as i am concerned, i tend to value the community they have..

10. BitTorrent   -   #50
    Zip's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by n00bz0r View Post
    As far as i am concerned, i tend to value the community they have..
    By putting a userbar in your signature to advertise? or maybe brag?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast