Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body Works

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    We have a new Science World exhibit that's causing some ohhs and ahss from school bigwigs in my community . Some have banned school trips altogether others have asked for parental permission .

I have a family pass to the site so I know how well its run , don't think its a problem for my children but can see the controversy its stirring up what with the subject being real bodies and all . Its a chance to see something no one sees outside of the medical community . Its called Body Works where a human body is stripped of skin and injected with plastic resin .

You know I'm not that forward thinking but the biggest complainers are the bible belt school districts that fight the gay books , One dad two dads green dad . I was just wondering what your thoughts were as a parent or parent to be ?

BODY WORLDS 3 was created by anatomist, Dr. Gunther von Hagens, inventor of Plastination—the groundbreaking method of anatomical specimen preservation. This technology allows authentic specimens to be displayed in a lifelike fashion for instruction and education, giving you an opportunity to appreciate what it really means to be human.

Link: http://www.scienceworld.bc.ca/
    Last edited by peat moss; 10-02-2006 at 01:21 AM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    My thoughts are that Bible thumpers that take issue should just fuck off. Parental permission makes sense....to give them a chance to fuck off versus just sending their child to the exhibit so I agree with you.

Pretty simple.

What the hell is a green dad?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    It does sound pretty neat , not with out sounding ghoulish as these are real bodies , people who gave their remains to science . I found a vid here on the site :

http://www.scienceworld.bc.ca/bodyworlds/video.html

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    It does sound pretty neat , not with out sounding the ghoulish as these are real bodies , people who gave their remains to science . I found a vid here on the site :

http://www.scienceworld.bc.ca/bodyworlds/video.html
    I was just about to post the video.

It still might seem ghoulish to some hence the need for a permission slip. I think it mainly would be due to certain age groups.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    My thoughts are that Bible thumpers that take issue should just fuck off. Parental permission makes sense....to give them a chance to fuck off versus just sending their child to the exhibit so I agree with you.

Pretty simple.

Oh green dad ? Two fags fought to have this book included in our kids school curriculum about the difference that families are . You know My moms my dad or I have a problem on fathers day , who do I buy for kind of thing .

This one Busy , I read it with my children Its pretty good just a lesson on tolerance . I just complained that it shouldn't be offered in kindergarden , which is what the age group they targeted .

http://www.amazon.com/One-Two-Dads-B.../dp/1555838480
    Last edited by peat moss; 10-02-2006 at 01:49 AM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

Pretty simple.

Oh green dad ? Two fags fought to have this book included in our kids school curriculum about the difference that families are . You know My moms my dad or I have a problem on fathers day , who do I buy for kind of thing .

This one Busy , I read it with my children Its pretty good just a lesson on tolerance . I just complained that it shouldn't be offered in kindergarden , which is what the age group they targeted .

http://www.amazon.com/One-Two-Dads-B.../dp/1555838480
    From School Library Journal
    PreSchool-Grade 2-The message that all people are basically the same whatever their skin color or sexual orientation is a worthy one, but this book, despite its cheerful pictures, is too didactic to have much appeal. In rhyming text, two children discuss a boy's two blue dads. He points out that, aside from their color, they are the same as other fathers-they work, play, and laugh. His friend wonders how they got that way and offers numerous explanations, but he tells her that they are blue simply because they are. The only trouble with the situation is that they are hard to see against the sky. "But except for that problem,/our life is routine,/and they're just like all other dads-/black, white, or green." And when the girl declares that she has never seen a green dad, a new child appears, stating that her two fathers are both green. Children young enough to take the tale at face value will probably think it is silly (since people are neither blue nor green), while older readers would be better served by a straightforward presentation of the subject matter.
    Louise L. Sherman, Anna C. Scott School, Leonia, NJ
    Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Book Description

Two children-one with blue dads, one from a more traditional family-compare notes in this light hearted book about parents who are different. In the end, of course, they discover that blue dads aren't really that different from other dads. Except for one thing.
    Sounds goofy.

The world is messy enough, why subject the kids to that?
    It's not as if children start out as intolerant arses and have to unlearn it.

There's a good risk that that sort of thing makes them take notice of differences instead.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    I have the belief that exposure not breeds acceptance and tolerance but it also breeds influence.

I say to any folk who wanna subject my child to shit like that to fuck off.

There are many that will say that a person will be gay if they were born that way. Well I don't believe that shit.

I see a frigging epidemic of young gay girls now in fucking middle school.

Why? It's more accepted.

Kids will discover who they like on their own. Fuck off about it in school and don't try give them ideas.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    QUOTE=Busyman™ I have the belief that exposure not breeds acceptance and tolerance but it also breeds influence.

true but i think you need to remove the "not" or add "not only"

Your the dad you decide

There are many that will say that a person will be gay if they were born that way. Well I don't believe that shit.

Why? It's more accepted.

What does this have to do with the exhibition? Your going way off topic here. You expect kids to rip off their skin after seeing this show?

Kids will discover who they like on their own. Fuck off about it in school and don't try give them ideas.

So kids should decide what they learn? Yeah right... If i gave my kid what he wanted he would eat ice cream all day and crawl across the road. Although your last statement is incredibly liberal for your style. "Don't give them ideas" - so schooling should emphasize on lethargy?
    [/QUOTE]

@PeatMoss
    That show has been hotly debated since the begining. (90's?)
    The only issue with it is that they where "real" people.

Since it is being shown, it means it has been "accepted" by the "authorities", ofcourse it has "sensationalism" written all over it (plus cash). Although the learning curve you can gain from it is much greater than lets say a plastic dummy in your biology class, or even some drawings. It is not for example an excusion to Auswitch, or WW1 trenches which has death written all over it and is a truelly depressing experience, or a visit to mutated bodies museum in http://www.amc.uva.nl/index.cfm?pid=2668

I just need to see pictures of that show to have it engrained in my brain...
    The question is What will the child learn from seeing those figures?
    a. They made real people into statues?
    b. Weird how the muscle bends around the shoulder, and how it flexes in different positions.?
    c. The Horror?
    d. .... ?

Dissecting rats or frogs is nicer?
    What effect did that plastic skeleton in biology class have on you?

It also depends how the teachers present the subject to the kids, it could be done in gothic splash movie style, or in an educative manner. The age of the kid should be of one able to use rational thought.
    Although just one of the sculptures would suffice to give information.

You decide, your the pappa, i would allow them to go, the more they understand the better.

Last edited by 100%; 10-06-2006 at 11:17 AM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by 100%
    QUOTE=Busyman™ I have the belief that exposure not breeds acceptance and tolerance but it also breeds influence.

true but i think you need to remove the "not" or add "not only"

Sorry bud, I was doing too many things at once. If you understood it to be "not only" then you are smarter than some other folks on this forum who haven't a clue (oh and nice that you argee with my point). However......(see below)

Your the dad you decide

Why? It's more accepted.

What does this have to do with the exhibition? Your going way off topic here. You expect kids to rip off their skin after seeing this show?

So kids should decide what they learn? Yeah right... If i gave my kid what he wanted he would eat ice cream all day and crawl across the road. Although your last statement is incredibly liberal for your style. "Don't give them ideas" - so schooling should emphasize on lethargy?

@PeatMoss
    That show has been hotly debated since the begining. (90's?)
    The only issue with it is that they where "real" people.

Since it is being shown, it means it has been "accepted" by the "authorities", ofcourse it has "sensationalism" written all over it (plus cash). Although the learning curve you can gain from it is much greater than lets say a plastic dummy in your biology class, or even some drawings. It is not for example an excusion to Auswitch, or WW1 trenches which has death written all over it and is a truelly depressing experience, or a visit to mutated bodies museum in http://www.amc.uva.nl/index.cfm?pid=2668

I just need to see pictures of that show to have it engrained in my brain...
    The question is What will the child learn from seeing those figures?
    a. They made real people into statues?
    b. Weird how the muscle bends around the shoulder, and how it flexes in different positions.?
    c. The Horror?
    d. .... ?

Dissecting rats or frogs is nicer?
    What effect did that plastic skeleton in biology class have on you?

It also depends how the teachers present the subject to the kids, it could be done in gothic splash movie style, or in an educative manner. The age of the kid should be of one able to use rational thought.
    Although just one of the sculptures would suffice to give information.

You decide, your the pappa, i would allow them to go, the more they understand the better.

....you must not have read the entire thread (the whole 1 page) before responding (I don't do that sometimes either) cos I was referring to SnnY's posting of the school library journal.

If it's part of school curriculum, the decision is taken out of my hands.

This is post #9. My take on the topic is on post #2 & #4 (hint: on this page). Also if I went off-topic maybe you should direct your posts to SnnY.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 10-06-2006 at 11:14 AM.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    ooooooops apologies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast