Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incomplete from usenet.com

Hi,
    I'm using usenet.com(unlimited) and grabit. I have tried to get over dozen movies and games all under 100 days old and nzbmatrix saying the nzb is complete yet 90% of what I got needs more blocks.
    This does not seem normal. Is it?
    Not sure what is up.
    I mean what is the point of having all this useless incomplete data on a server?
    The only way of getting missing/incomplete data is to ask for a repost correct?
    thx
    Last edited by jonjdude; 05-31-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Accidentally hit the enter before completing post.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    contact their support team if their retention is advertised as more than 100 days. I looked on their site but it doesn't say what their retention currently is. Maybe they are having some issues? Have you checked their news site?

Most premium usenet severs proviode 200+ days nowadays so under 100 days seems very crappy. And also it's possible that something on your system is corrupting your downloads if the files are the right size when downloaded but they still need 1-2 blocks. I had this issue for months and it was my RAM that was corrupting my downloads.

Also depending on how much data you need to repair the files you might just need to grab 1 par file to repair your downloads if the files you are getting have par files. So no, you don't always need a repost for your incomplete files as long as par files are available to repair the broken downloads.
    Last edited by saulin; 05-31-2009 at 02:49 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    I tried usenet.com once and it was utter crap. Switch to a different server, simple solution. Try out Astraweb (google astraweb kleverig for a special offer) or usenetnow.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by UsenetGuy View Post
    I tried usenet.com once and it was utter crap. Switch to a different server, simple solution.
    I think I will take your advice. I have contacted usenet.com's support a week ago w/ no response.

Quote Originally Posted by saulin View Post
    contact their support team if their retention is advertised as more than 100 days. I looked on their site but it doesn't say what their retention currently is. Maybe they are having some issues? Have you checked their news site?

Most premium usenet severs proviode 200+ days nowadays so under 100 days seems very crappy. And also it's possible that something on your system is corrupting your downloads if the files are the right size when downloaded but they still need 1-2 blocks. I had this issue for months and it was my RAM that was corrupting my downloads.

Also depending on how much data you need to repair the files you might just need to grab 1 par file to repair your downloads if the files you are getting have par files. So no, you don't always need a repost for your incomplete files as long as par files are available to repair the broken downloads.
    Thx for the input. That is very strange that they don't list their retention timeframe. I could not find it either.
    As for file corruption I don't think to be the case. I have tried with three different machines.

I not clear on the repairing part of your response. I am using quickpar for the par files I get from the dl. Is there a way to get additional pars that did not come in the original dl??
    Last edited by jonjdude; 05-31-2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    i agree, switch to astraweb and you wont be disappointed anymore.
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Well this I can report:

Actual stats:

For usenet.com unlimited/$12.95/mo plan be a solid 370 KB/s o grabits.
    *But I think the sweet spot is like 50-100 day nzb. Very poor results outside this range = A definite downside perhaps.
    This is about a months worth of full time dl of movie, game and app and later was like 100%

astraweb unlimited/$11.00/mo plan equals only 127 KB/s.
    so like only a third of the usenet speed.
    But completion % is TBD

Location is NE-USA.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jonjdude View Post
    Well this I can report:

Actual stats:

*But I think the sweet spot is like 50-100 day nzb. Very poor results outside this range = A definite downside perhaps.
    This is about a months worth of full time dl of movie, game and app and later was like 100%

But completion % is TBD

Location is NE-USA.
    What's your connection speed?

Astraweb gives me downloads speeds of up to 3 megabytes per second which is the max my ISP allows me to go and retention should be around 290 days and it's rare to find stuff incomplete.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    newsgroupie
    Usenet.com was once known to be a decent provider, but they've gone seriously downhill over the last two years, ever since being sued by the RIAA and prompting removing all MP3/music groups. I've seen a lot of complaints about usenet/newsfeeds/newsgroups.com regarding retention & completion (and those missing MP3 groups) so I would strongly recommend trying another provider (Usenet.com, newsfeeds.com, and newsgroups.com are the same company)

Just about all the major providers today offer between 200 and 300 days retention -- and increasing. Like many others here will tell you -- you won't go wrong with Astraweb.

You are mistaken. (Astraweb's $10/month plan is throttled at 1 megabit/sec (127KB/s), but their $11/month plan is unlimited & unthrottled)
    Astraweb's $11 "Kleverig Special" is not listed on their front page, you need to go to the signup page directly:

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    My cable connection is 5 MBs download. Which means what?? What speed should I expect from astraweb or giganews because I know its not going to be 5 MB/s. The best dl speed I ever obtain is about around 600 KB/s with my armstrong cable connection.

Thanks again to everyone. Definitely right about Astraweb is awesome, cleaned up all my unfound articles.

I only have the unlimited/1MBs subscription right now but believe I will be upgrading to the unlimited/DSL cause the 127 KB/s is not really cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by saulin View Post
    Well this I can report:

Actual stats:

But completion % is TBD

Location is NE-USA.
    What's your connection speed?

Astraweb gives me downloads speeds of up to 3 megabytes per second which is the max my ISP allows me to go and retention should be around 290 days and it's rare to find stuff incomplete.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Ok is your connection 5Mbit/s? if so you can expect max speeds of 128x5=640KB/s if you have the $11 unlimited. If you have the $10 1 Mbit/s then the max you will get is 128KB/s

1 megabit = 128 kilobytes

If you can actually download at 5 megabytes per second which is 40Mbit/s. I'm not sure if Astraweb can max your speed but I think is possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast