Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Legalization of marijuana and jobs?

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    everyday the legalization of marijuana gets closer & closer in the state of california. if marijuana does become legal does that mean i could toke up every nite after work and still have a job? i mean, u can with alcohol. just seeing what ur opinions are about this.

as the new law states:

"Allow anyone over 21 to possess or grow marijuana for personal use."

as of September 24th, 2009
    Former State Senate President running for Major states
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I could be talking out of my ass here but, couldn't any employer make a contractual stipulation upon being hired that you are not allowed to engage in marijuana use at or outside of work. Maybe even do random drug testing?

I mean, why not? Athletes have to agree to that for their jobs...

BTW, are you still working at the tit bar?
    Last edited by Skiz; 09-25-2009 at 08:11 AM.

yo

3. Lounge   -   #3
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    I could be talking out of my ass here but, couldn't any employer make a contractual stipulation upon being hired that you are not allowed to engage in marijuana use at or outside of work. Maybe even do random drug testing?

I mean, why not? Athletes have to agree to that for their jobs...
    right, but then why don't they do it with alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by Skiz
    BTW, are you still working at the tit bar?
    naw. paid off my truck, my bills and monies in pocket. then they decided to cut my wages in 1/2. lol, i quit.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I assume because alcohol is already publicly accepted. Companies likely don't see alcohol affecting their employees in the workplace either.

You're absolutely right about Cali though. I have a friend in Long Beach and he has a scrip. Says he had a quick appointment with a doctor and said pot helped his illness/injury (I can't remember the whole story) and he got a Rx.
    Last edited by Skiz; 09-25-2009 at 10:18 AM.

yo

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    I think if you persistently turned upto work drunk or hungover they might have a quiet word with you...

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Something Else's Avatar sex a wolf in a bag BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    Certain jobs do have no-alcohol rules. Fitbaw for instance.
    Now go away.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    I assume because alcohol is already publicly accepted. Companies likely don't see alcohol affecting their employees in the workplace either.
    That's just plain insane, your joking right? Publicly accepted by some not all, and not effecting them? Have you ever been hung over and had to go to work, I guess that wouldn't effect someone or make them take a sick day.

I don't see people going around killing kids/people because they decided to smoke a joint and go to bed/play games/work I see people die everyday from alcohol, I don't mean this to become arguement, but maybe the post does, but alcohol is worse, if I was the one making rules I would say no alcohol but you could smoke all the pot you want, see the difference is, "some" people have to smoke to function, and there are "safe" employers to, you just have to find them, which I mean, you get tested like once a year if that, and it's easy to fake, because well they don't give a shit.

Honestly, alcohol is bad, have at least 2-3 a day, so I guess I'm a alcoholic But if they legalized Mary Jane, you would see the economy instantly turn around, there is SO MUCH money to be made, not everyone will grow it, it takes months to get a good product, so people would still need to buy it, and tax the shit it out of, just stop with the jail time over it, so stupid.
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 09-25-2009 at 06:34 PM.
    [center]

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    That's just plain insane, your joking right? Publicly accepted by some not all, and not effecting them? Have you ever been hung over and had to go to work, I guess that wouldn't effect someone or make them take a sick day.
    I thought I would be stating the obvious if I mentioned coming in to work drunk or hungover, but I guess not.

Yes, it is obviously going to be an issue if you go into work drunk or so hungover that someone needs to pull you aside and mention it. Alcohol though, is very much publicly accepted. I don't think I've ever seen a modern petition for reinstatement of prohibition ever.

As for the weed thing, I can see both points of view. I don't have the time to get into it right now but, on the whole, I think people should be able to smoke it legally.
    Last edited by Skiz; 09-25-2009 at 07:25 PM.

yo

9. Lounge   -   #9
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    Gazing longingly into my crystal bawl...I really can't foresee cultivation becoming decriminalised/socially acclimatised within a time-frame as optimistic as the OP projects, like.

The decriminalisation of Marijuana should have no more effect on the workforce at large than the criminalisation of Coffee.

I just made that shite up. I was wopped. Still am. True story.

Being wopped rawks the fawking sawks.

Fact.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    I think if you persistently turned upto work drunk or hungover they might have a quiet word with you...
    I agree.
    The number of people who go into work high is probably as large as the number that go in hung over.
    And I've found that people who are high at work can do a better job than people that are hung over, although I work in construction where there's more moving around and less thinking involved that in, for example, an office job.

I agree that marijuana should be legalized. Alcohol is worse in my opinion and it's legal.
    I'm not saying alcohol should be illegal, as society functions fine with it being legal, but I believe that marijuana and alcohol should be treated the same.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast