Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deleting files directly without putting in thrashcan first

Filliz's Avatar ______________

Question Mark

I've got this videofile in one of my folders that makes explorer (not ie) crash everytime I open the folder.

What's the shortcut to delete files instanntly without asking me for a confirmation?

Or any other ideas on how I can remove the files from my hardisk without having to go in explorer?

Thing is that every time i open the folder i only have 2-3 sec. time before everything freezes up and crashes.

hmm...asspie

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Shift+Delete

Or use GiPo@MoveOnBoot. It will allow you to select any file/folder to be automatically deleted on the next boot. Great utility!
    Last edited by Skizo; 09-05-2006 at 12:18 AM.

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Shift+Delete

Or use GiPo@MoveOnBoot. It will allow you to select any file/folder to be automatically deleted on the next boot. Great utility!
    Thanks.
    I'll try the Shift+Del first.

I can't delete the whole folder because there's plenty of stuff in there that I still need and don't have a back-up of.

hmm...asspie

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Crap. That didn't work.

The file I think is causing, is a vid that was in the middle of a conversion when I had to cancel the process. So my guess is that the half-converted file is somehow making it crash.

explorer isn't using any ridiculous amount of memory though when I look at the processes and CPU is normal too.

hmm...asspie

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    In Folder Options you'll see an option to show common tasks. Select the other option - classic folder view.
    Then you shoould be able to delete the file without Windows wanting to have a good look at it first.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK View Post
    In Folder Options you'll see an option to show common tasks. Select the other option - classic folder view.
    Then you shoould be able to delete the file without Windows wanting to have a good look at it first.
    Where do I find that option?

Is it in the list with thumbs, List , Details, etc...?

I hav a Dutch XP

hmm...asspie

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Filliz View Post
    Crap. That didn't work.

The file I think is causing, is a vid that was in the middle of a conversion when I had to cancel the process. So my guess is that the half-converted file is somehow making it crash.

explorer isn't using any ridiculous amount of memory though when I look at the processes and CPU is normal too.
    GiPo@MoveOnBoot will fix this in a snap, plus it's free!

But if you wanna give Chewie's suggestion a try first, just open the window to where you see the problematic file, then go to Tools, and you'll see Folder Options.

yo

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Filliz View Post
    Crap. That didn't work.

GiPo@MoveOnBoot will fix this in a snap, plus it's free!

But if you wanna give Chewie's suggestion a try first, just open the window to where you see the problematic file, then go to Tools, and you'll see Folder Options.
    Yeah, found it after I posted it.
    Does that GiPo@MoveOnBoot delete single files as well? Because I don't want to delete the whole folder it's in.

hmm...asspie

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Ok, giopo can't help me either because I have to right-click on the file to remove it on next boot.

Anyway, I just searched for the file in Windows hoping I could delete it that way but it makes the search window crash too.
    At least now I know for sure it's the file I thought it was though.

hmm...asspie

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Well F*ck Me! I uninstalled the software I used for the conversion and everything's back to normal now .

Damn .flv decoders suck bawlls.

Sorry about the tripple post btw.

hmm...asspie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast