Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Improving uTorrent Download Speeds

Poster

Arrow

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if you can help me review my uTorrent settings to see what I could do to improve my Torrent speeds.

I recently built a new computer from scratch, and the first couple months my speeds were steady, but then one day I've noticed a drop in speeds using uTorrent. I started messing with settings, following different guides, enabling / disabling things, and this has been going on for close to 1 month now.

I even had a cable guy come check everything to make sure things were working correctly, cuz I just can't seem to get steady speeds when downloading Torrents.

I am running the latest version of uTorrent, my ports are properly forwarded with my router.

Below I will provide a screenshot of ALL my uTorrent settings, perhaps a fresh set of eyes can help.

You'll notice at the top I downloaded Nvidia's latest drivers today @ 1224 KB/s, which is what uTorrent used to download at steadily. Now, I'm lucky if I get past 500 KB/s, it usually fluctuates between 100 KB/s - 300 KB/s.

I download from RTT, TL, SCC, HDBits, bitmetv, there are almost always seedboxes to download from, and in the past my connection would immediately max out.

I hope that covers all the info you may need, and I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Here are my computer specs in case that makes a difference, I really doubt it's the computer, since you'll notice in the screenshot that I'm able to max out my speeds quite easily.

Windows 7 Ultimate ( Windows Firewall )
    i7 - 930 overclocked to 4.0 GHZ
    6 GB Ram
    1 80 GB SSD
    1 TB Internal Drive
    2 x 1 TB External Hard Drives
    GTX 460

I've tried downloading to ALL 3 hard drives including the SSD drive to see if that would make a difference, and it doesn't.

Below is a screenshot of my settings, which I have tested and played with so much that I've lost track over the past month.

Any and all feedback is welcomed, thanks in advance!
    Last edited by sam45; 10-23-2010 at 02:58 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    kukushka's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    bt transp disposition 255 or 31, doesn't matter; utp bandwidth management on. global connections... i just use 10000 no point of limiting them if you have a wide chan, peer/upload slots - make them the same

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    have u try setup guide on ur nearest location? it can up ur speed..

here my setup guide and never disappoint me

btw dont forget red FAQ( how can i improve my download speed )on ur private tracker

hopes this help..

br
    Last edited by mati; 10-23-2010 at 10:21 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    sam45, before you begin tinkering with the settings, some ISPs are known to shape BitTorrent traffic to save bandwidth. Did you try searching your provider's name plus "shaping" or "throttling" to see what others have to say?
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster
    Thanks for those settings, I've tested them, and still no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    sam45, before you begin tinkering with the settings, some ISPs are known to shape BitTorrent traffic to save bandwidth. Did you try searching your provider's name plus "shaping" or "throttling" to see what others have to say?
    This has been my suspicion anon-sbi, I ran some tests and it claimed it wasn't being throttled.

However, I've come across some articles that suggest that my ISP does in fact throttle bitorrent traffic.

This article is 5 years old
    http://torrentfreak.com/canadian-isp...rrent-traffic/

In the last 5 years, I've always had MAX speeds, so perhaps Rogers implemented something new recently.

First I had unlimited bandwidth, then they limited us to 90GB / month, which I ALWAYS go over.

Any tricks to bypassing their throttling?

thanks!
    Last edited by sam45; 10-23-2010 at 04:48 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by sam45 View Post
    Any tricks to bypassing their throttling?
    My ISP shapes BitTorrent traffic, too. bt.transp_disposition 10 and a restart did the trick.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster
    I tried that, and still no difference.

In fact, speeds may be slower now

-----

Update, I've kept tinkering with settings, and I'm actually over 600kb/s now

I'll keep messing with it until I can get back to 1mb/s downloads again

Thanks again

----

@Anon-sbi - after setting bt.transp_disposition 10 when I restarted the computer - all my uTorrent settings were messed up - is it supposed to do that?
    Last edited by sam45; 10-23-2010 at 05:10 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by sam45 View Post
    Update, I've kept tinkering with settings, and I'm actually over 600kb/s now

I'll keep messing with it until I can get back to 1mb/s downloads again

Thanks again
    Good to know, do tell us which settings let you reach 1MB/s if you manage that.

@Anon-sbi - after setting bt.transp_disposition 10 when I restarted the computer - all my uTorrent settings were messed up - is it supposed to do that?
    Not at all...

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster
    I'm getting closer - I'm now over 900 kb/s - I won't stop until it downloads @ 1.1mb/s like it's supposed to

when I finally get it steady, I'll post those settings!

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by sam45; 10-23-2010 at 05:17 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    KushBlow's Avatar Zen BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Try setting bt connect speed to 5, disabling local peer discovery, forcing outgoing encryption, (leaving allow incoming legacy connectiond UNchecked) and possible changing global # of connections to a number that corresponds with your private tracker/s userbase.
    Last edited by KushBlow; 10-25-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast