Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to have such higher server cost?

Cut-Copy-Paste's Avatar FST Satan BT Rep: +3
    Well todays i logged into Bwtorrent after few months and found my account disable (expect) . Apparently My acc was talking to much of their resource on their server and they need me to donate 10$ to reactivate it.

This Make me wonder :
    They have each month projected cost of 1200$ as Electricity and Brandwith bill And are hosted in Denmark.
    With member ship around 80000 (By peer activity i would say less then half are active) is it possible to have such high cost?

PS: This does not include server cost. Apprently they have thier own server and ask for extra donation whenever they upgrade/change it..

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    gamesover's Avatar Panda BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Could be going to their video game/electronic/clothes fund. Is there any way to verify that they really need that much per month to cover their costs?

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    I'm good for you.
    No, certainly not.

In my 6 years BT experience I only know one site which I can say is being 100% honest with their funds: ExtremeBits. They have 10000 to 15000 users, just as any small tracker, but only need to collect $500 every 6 months.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    of course it is possible, ours is nearly $1000 a month. (and we probably need better and that is co-location IE I own the servers, and only pay for BW/Electricity and space in the rack) PS: i dont send mass pms out or tell anyone the exact amount per month, but yes its very possible. (whether it is or not is a different matter though)
    Last edited by stoi; 02-24-2011 at 11:32 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    It sounds like a bit too much, but I'm not familiar with how much it costs to run a tracker, so I can't say anything useful.

By the way, disabling your account because it was "taking too much resources" is an, allow me to say it, bullshit excuse. An inactive account only uses as much as a tiny bit of database space.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    server cost depends on number of servers & quality of servers. So it is quite possible
    Teh n00b.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster
    No WAY. Maybe for a tracker like GFT or SCC, which have 100Gbit seedboxes to upload new content...

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80BT Rep +80
    isn't bwtorrents like HUGE, in terms of content and userbase? BCG has $ 1000 bill then i don't see why bwt can't have $ 1200 bill.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    A lot of sites, especially those who run seedboxes, cost several times more than that to run. Some people probably make money running torrent sites, but I doubt that is the general rule. In the case of BWTorrent (never heard of it, which is surprising given its size) I don't see much profit to be made if they are collecting $1,200 a month, less actual costs. I guess it might be some pocket money or more for someone in a third world country, but it just doesn't seem worth the undertaking if run for profit.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Cut-Copy-Paste's Avatar FST Satan BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    of course it is possible, ours is nearly $1000 a month. (and we probably need better and that is co-location IE I own the servers, and only pay for BW/Electricity and space in the rack)
    No offence but
    If i was to host a site i could easly rent a powerful server for like maximum of 500$ a month and dat would easly give me around 2TB of brandwith.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    By the way, disabling your account because it was "taking too much resources" is an, allow me to say it, bullshit excuse.
    Exactly. I think i can look for another invite easily. Oh and did i mention they did not forgot to put info about some latest movies uploaded to lure some1

Quote Originally Posted by bijoy View Post
    server cost depends on number of servers & quality of servers. So it is quite possible
    Its only bw/electricity cost

Quote Originally Posted by mrnobody View Post
    isn't bwtorrents like HUGE, in terms of content and userbase?
    Userbase? Yes may be it is at around 80000 member. But as i said by peer activity its looks around mid side 0day. and did i point out torrent retention is 0. go beyond 3rd page and everything is dead. Content is abundant but then most of it is released buy individual group.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast