Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6-1 reader

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Hi guys and gurrrls have a problem with a pre-built computer tonite that my friend just bought , deal was I would install the software for her . But on install I have more more drives than a Saturday afternoon on the golf course so thought what the hell ? The card reader lite is on so thought thats not right ?

Probably just crossed wires and could fix or disable but pissed me off . Thought will just install software for her and found can't find "D" as its called G ? WPI from XP Ingego was what I'm using . I'm so frustrated as know I could fix it but worried about warranty as the fucker is like one hour old .

My question is, should not be a lite on a drive your not using ?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    I take it that this 6-in-1 reader has 6 slots? If so, you will have a drive letter for each slot.

If you had 6 floppy drives you would have 6 slots and 6 drive letters, it's just the same for card readers.

And the light should be on to indicate it is connected.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Good to know lynx.

And remember peat, no good deed goes unpunished.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    It surprised me when I got one, I was only expecting a single extra drive. When you realise that you could have a card in each slot it starts to make sense.

I had to plug it in to check on the light though.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    What software were you installing?

Whenever I install Windows on a PC with a cardreader I unplug the reader's USB header beforehand.
    That way you install the OS on C: instead of some random drive letter- Sonys are particularly bad about this, you can end up with the OS on G if you're not careful.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    What software were you installing?

Whenever I install Windows on a PC with a cardreader I unplug the reader's USB header beforehand.
    That way you install the OS on C: instead of some random drive letter- Sonys are particularly bad about this, you can end up with the OS on G if you're not careful.
    Is there a problem with that? It happened to me once and didn't cause any problems.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I'm formating again (3rd) time with a genaritc xp disk and at setup I now have C: Partion1 new raw . I'll have to install all her programs seperatly now but what a pain in the ass .

To be honest I'v never seen a 6-1 card reader and hope never again .Its called Istar by the way like that dog of a movie . I'm glad I asked you people first instead of phoning the store and complaining .

Guys here's the deal I got her , I'm pretty happy for just a budget system .

P4 Value System was the one .

http://www.alinx.ca/flyer.asp

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    I'm formating again (3rd) time with a genaritc xp disk and at setup I now have C: Partion1 new raw . I'll have to install all her programs seperatly now but what a pain in the ass .

To be honest I'v never seen a 6-1 card reader and hope never again .Its called Istar by the way like that dog of a movie . I'm glad I asked you people first instead of phoning the store and complaining .

I would have gone with the AMD value system (better Nvidia graphics).

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post

I would have gone with the AMD value system (better Nvidia graphics).

Smart ass ! Thats why I like you VB , but she's a Intel fangirl and we're looking for a good Vid card later in a few weeks but money was an issue . She likes Final Fantasy online and burning music so it was pretty easy to set her up . The card reader is something she would probably never use but oh well .

On a side note I offered Vista Ultimate for her setup but she said no thanks it does n't work well with my online game . She knows computers so didn't push the issue .
    Last edited by peat moss; 07-07-2007 at 05:34 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    On a side note I offered Vista Ultimate for her setup but she said no thanks it does n't work well with my online game . She knows computers so didn't push the issue .
    Well, she knows computers well enough to turn down Vista Ultimate on a PC that could never properly run it, that's for sure.

The question is: why did you think it would be a good idea?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast