Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Giganews is ****'ing up Usenet

This has gotten so out of hand the last few days, that the tsunami of crud has begun to affect just about every news-server on the planet.

There have been some who were saying that things were 'settling down' on Giganews after a few hours, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I did some pretty detailed analysis of headers (or lack thereof) on several high and low volume newsgroups on their server in the last couple of days...

And it's so hosed, it isn't funny anymore.

Did all of their senior people take an extended post-labor day holiday, or what?!?

This is rapidly becoming a major 'gap' in usenet retention, that may exist as a 'sink hole' for months, just like the 'gaps' back circa late 2008 when several plants were first ramping up major retention pushes.

And yes, it's affecting the major nzb folks like binsearch, nzbindex, newzleecher et. al.

WHAT A MESS!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    newsgroupie
    Despite the severity of the problem, overall I don't really think it will hurt Giganews bottom-line much, since I presume few downloaders use headers these days and probably few text users subscribe to Giganews.

But header users are going to be really pissed if they end up re-downloading the whole 750 days of headers on a big group. (some newsreaders will let you re-download, for instance, the last 20 days of headers using a different server while keeping the older ones intact, but most don't) And Newsleecher users are up in arms because Supersearch (a pay service) is now useless on recent posts.

This just adds more fuel to the fire over the argument of whether Giganews is worth the extra money.
    Last edited by zot; 09-15-2010 at 12:25 AM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    WHiKWiRE's Avatar MooPhEuS
    I can't really get mad at 11 bucks a month. I AstraWEB.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I can't be mad at 0 bucks a month

But rather annoying anyway.
    Can you feel the LOVE

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Disme View Post

How'd you manage that? Are you using one of those IPv6 servers?

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    This has gotten so out of hand the last few days, that the tsunami of crud has begun to affect just about every news-server on the planet.

There have been some who were saying that things were 'settling down' on Giganews after a few hours, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I did some pretty detailed analysis of headers (or lack thereof) on several high and low volume newsgroups on their server in the last couple of days...

And it's so hosed, it isn't funny anymore.

Did all of their senior people take an extended post-labor day holiday, or what?!?

This is rapidly becoming a major 'gap' in usenet retention, that may exist as a 'sink hole' for months, just like the 'gaps' back circa late 2008 when several plants were first ramping up major retention pushes.

And yes, it's affecting the major nzb folks like binsearch, nzbindex, newzleecher et. al.

WHAT A MESS!
    "This has gotten so out of hand the last few days..."

"...things were 'settling down' on Giganews after a few hours"

"This is rapidly becoming a major 'gap' in usenet retention..."

"it's affecting the major nzb folks..."

What are you talking about?

I probably downloaded 100+GB of stuff in the past 3 days; all movies and TV shows of things I'm trying to catch up on. The only thing that had missing files was one of the movies, but all the PARs were there so it repaired just fine.

yo

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    All the message boards are clogged with screaming, you must be using, or d/l'ing, things from beyond the last few days (which aren't affected). Once you start trying to get things posted in the last 100hrs or thereabouts, you'll hit the gaps.

Just an update: I appears that Giganews has repaired their operation, and gotten some (all, who can tell) of their articles back on line.

Scuttlebutt is that they got hit by some nasty malware. As I noted on another thread, it's been really rolling in the last week plus or so, and anyone who doesn't run some serious blocking/anti-virus program, and does lots of browsing, is headed for disaster, as lots of web sites are getting hit (and don't keep THEIR systems anti-stuff 'up to snuff').
    Last edited by Beck38; 09-16-2010 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    WHiKWiRE's Avatar MooPhEuS
    All the message boards are clogged with screaming, you must be using, or d/l'ing, things from beyond the last few days (which aren't affected). Once you start trying to get things posted in the last 100hrs or thereabouts, you'll hit the gaps.

Just an update: I appears that Giganews has repaired their operation, and gotten some (all, who can tell) of their articles back on line.

Scuttlebutt is that they got hit by some nasty malware. As I noted on another thread, it's been really rolling in the last week plus or so, and anyone who doesn't run some serious blocking/anti-virus program, and does lots of browsing, is headed for disaster, as lots of web sites are getting hit (and don't keep THEIR systems anti-stuff 'up to snuff').
    I don't even use an anti-virus.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I only download new stuff for the most part. All of the TV shows were downloaded via RSS so they were brand spankin' new, and the movies were ALL less than 100 hours old.

yo

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disme View Post

How'd you manage that? Are you using one of those IPv6 servers?
    Some ISP's offer Usenet usually Astraweb or Giganews.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast