Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DHT Indexer

I've got a number of torrents in my queue that I reactivate from time to time. Several of them no longer feature a working tracker at all. And are no longer available from where I originally downloaded them. Yet, they still have peers. Though I'm often the only seed, I doubt theses are peers still kicking around from late 2009.
    They're being added to the pool somehow and I'm wondering if it's not some sort of DHT indexer. Something like this exist?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by WindWalkerX View Post
    Yet, they still have peers. Though I'm often the only seed, I doubt theses are peers still kicking around from late 2009.
    They're being added to the pool somehow and I'm wondering if it's not some sort of DHT indexer.
    Well, if you have DHT enabled for that torrent, then I don't see why not...
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Raban's Avatar Poaster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    why the hell would you have DHT enabled... do you consider yourself a professional in the torrent comunity ?? I DONT THINK SO with DHT enabled...

are you only belonging to like the pirate bay or something... that is like noob mistake 101 i mean i can't believe they even let you signup to FST with that kinda malarchy

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Raban View Post
    why the hell would you have DHT enabled... do you consider yourself a professional in the torrent comunity ?? I DONT THINK SO with DHT enabled...
    Please provide evidence of that having DHT enabled disrupts correct stats updating on private trackers. DHT does not apply for private torrents, so you have nothing to worry about.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Raban's Avatar Poaster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    Please provide evidence of that having DHT enabled disrupts correct stats updating on private trackers. DHT does not apply for private torrents, so you have nothing to worry about.
    uhmm excuse me ? ? ? is this a court of law i don't need evidence ! ! ! ! ! !

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Raban View Post
    uhmm excuse me ? ? ? is this a court of law i don't need evidence ! ! ! ! ! !

OK, provide proof of what you're saying, if that term suits you better.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Nobody said these were from a private tracker. In any case, DHT essentially turns every peer into a tracker, for lack of a better term. Each peer then gives other peers information on who else is in the pool.
    Thats my understanding anyway.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokeman View Post
    Nobody said these were from a private tracker.
    True, and your understanding of DHT is correct.

It's just that it kind of annoys me to see people say "turn DHT off, otherwise your private tracker stats will be incorrect, and you'll get banned for cheating" when DHT and PEX don't come into effect at all for private torrents.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    pro267's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    It does if you're a cunt with poor morals and slightly more technical knowledge than a stool.

Oh, and as for the original question, the peers could've come from peer exchange, local peer discovery or DHT.
    Last edited by pro267; 10-22-2010 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    546f74616c6c792072616e646f6d20746578742e20416d617a696e671f20696e6e69742e

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by pro267 View Post
    It does if you're a cunt with poor morals and slightly more technical knowledge than a stool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast