Thread: usenet and folders

Fnot
    Ok so i am downloading a whose season of a tv series. Is there a way so each episode's rar are saved in a separate folder?
    i am using grabit but if i can do that with another client please let me know.
    a solution would be downloading each episode separetely (one nzb for each episode) but that requires some time :/ (surely less than creating folders on your own afterwards)

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    It all depends on how the poster did things, AND how the source discs were authored.

Usually, a dvd9 (which is what most if not all episodes these days are done on), can generally hold 4 45min episodes, sometimes 3. Back 'in the day' 10 years ago, many were done with only 2ea per DVD5 (or double those figures if the show was 30/23min instead of the 'hour'.

It also depends on how the poster did things, like recoding (or not), or did any manipulation/remake of the menu'ing system. Personally, I like to get the DVD9 and 'do with it what I will' rather than rely on what someone else has done. I'd rather 'split' a DVD9 into two DVD5's without recoding, but that's me.

There's a ton of different ways to do things, or not, so you (as the tail) have to follow what the dog does/did.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Alt.Binz can extract to a separate folder with the option of creating a folder with the archive/group/nzb name. I haven't tried it myself but you could just download the free version of Alt.Binz and test it.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    newsgroupie
    I've not used Grabit for long time, but just from memory, I think that Grabit's download directory is a semi-permanent setting, making it a somewhat tedious task to split up a NZB or download set into several different download directories.

However, some of the more advanced newsreaders like Usenet Explorer (and possibly a few others) will perform this task very easily: Just highlight the designated sub-set of rars+pars, right-click on them, and then in the popup menu choose a different directory to download those files to.

Also, make sure you don't forget to include the pars to download to the same directory as the corresponding rar files.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post
    Alt.Binz can extract to a separate folder with the option of creating a folder with the archive/group/nzb name. I haven't tried it myself but you could just download the free version of Alt.Binz and test it.
    Altbinz will allow changing the (default) download directory for the entire NZB, but will not allow splitting up the files (or CDs/DVDs) contained on a single NZB into multiple (separate) directories, which I think is what Fnot is trying to do (and which UE will do).

However, if using Altbinz, a large NZB containing multiple files/CDs/DVDs can be split up before being loaded in the client -- at the time the NZBs are created using search engines like Binsearch.info, just by selecting for example CD1 rars for the first NZB, CD2 rars for the second NZB, etc. Then each NZB can have its own separate download directory. So Altbinz is only slightly better than Grabit for this purpose.

Bottom line: I know that Usenet Explorer will easily and efficiently do everything you're asking. However, you will probably spend a lot more time figuring out how to use UE (which is MUCH more complicated than Grabit) compared to the time you would save by not having to manually re-arrange files after downloading using your present client Grabit.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    valeric92
    Hello