Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senator Jim Webb tells off Bush

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    It happens to Republicans too, evidently...

At a recent White House reception for freshman members of Congress, Virginia’s newest senator tried to avoid President Bush. Democrat James Webb declined to stand in a presidential receiving line or to have his picture taken with the man he had often criticized on the stump this fall. But it wasn’t long before Bush found him.

“How’s your boy?” Bush asked, referring to Webb’s son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

“I’d like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President,” Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

“That’s not what I asked you,” Bush said. “How’s your boy?”

“That’s between me and my boy, Mr. President,” Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.

This, according to Webb.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

At a recent White House reception for freshman members of Congress, Virginia’s newest senator tried to avoid President Bush. Democrat James Webb declined to stand in a presidential receiving line or to have his picture taken with the man he had often criticized on the stump this fall. But it wasn’t long before Bush found him.

“How’s your boy?” Bush asked, referring to Webb’s son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

“I’d like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President,” Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

“That’s between me and my boy, Mr. President,” Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.

This, according to Webb.

What happens to Republicans too?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

This, according to Webb.

Poor Clinton had to suffer some similar commentary/snub from a father whose son died in (I think) Somalia; this was during an Oval Office photo-op, I guess.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    He's showing a lot of promise

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5

Poor Clinton had to suffer some similar commentary/snub from a father whose son died in (I think) Somalia; this was during an Oval Office photo-op, I guess.
    Oh ok.

I wonder which war was more noble. I remember a lot of people saying that we shouldn't have been in Somalia (Code Irene?).

If I was Jim Webb, I'd have snubbed Bush too.

I'd hate to lose a son over bullshit.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

This, according to Webb.
    IMO that is just ignorance on the part of Webb. Do all your arguing on the floor of the house, in session.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post

This, according to Webb.
    IMO that is just ignorance on the part of Webb. Do all your arguing on the floor of the house, in session.
    I agree.

Of course, he could be positioning himself for a presidential bid in '08...

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8

This, according to Webb.
    Agreed, however Bush asked about his boy and not matters of state. I don't see where ignorance comes into play.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1

Agreed, however Bush asked about his boy and not matters of state. I don't see where ignorance comes into play.
    Agreed. Webb should have replied about his boy. Not matters of state.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10

Agreed. Webb should have replied about his boy. Not matters of state.
    He didn't. Maybe his reply should have been, "He's fighting in Iraq, moron. I guess he's still alive, dipshit."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast