Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long will Newsgroups last

Poster BT Rep: +2
    so i was using a server on bittorent sites but that was costing me 120.00 us a month so i decided to give newsgroups a try so i signed up for giganews and i'm liking it so far but how long do you think newsgroups will last compared to bittorent in lifetime like how many years

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Wait you were paying to use bittorent? Anyway torrent sites will be around for a good while yet.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by TOPDAWG View Post
    Wait you were paying to use bittorent? Anyway torrent sites will be around for a good while yet.
    You would be shocked at how many bittorrent users shill out tons of money in monthly server fees. It's just disgusting, really.

Bittorrent and newsgroups will both be around for a while still. Plenty of countries still do absolutely nothing about copyright infringement. The way it will end will be through the providers. AT&T has already throttled down bittorrent usage to almost nil.
    Last edited by Skizo; 09-28-2007 at 07:10 AM.

yo

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Pilferd's Avatar Poster
    people PAY to use bittorrent??? and $120??? sheeeeash!!!

and i think newsgroups have been around since the mid 90's ... shit i knew a dude back in 2000 gettin new music off of it ... he was a dick about it actin like it was a Super, top secret, 007, privileged , card holder only type of service ... took me months to get him to say the words "Newsgroups" ...

but i think newsgroups will be around for a good long time ... besides it wasnt started with the intent of sharing copyright materials ...

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    well the oldest post google has cached is 11 May 1981.

chances are newsgroups will long outlive any bittorent site your a member off by far.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    The Usenet has been around for a long time, I've been personally using it since the early nineties but without a newsgroup-provider to offer binary groups, that was limited to text groups via my ISP's server. Only recently I've begun to start paying for an external provider (because BT has become too popular and attracts too much attention) and already 3/4 of my downloads are done this way.

To answer your question: the Usenet will be around for a very long time to come but I don't know what will happen to those binary groups eventually. For the time being you're better off downloading this way because you gain a few advantages (most likely full download speed for everything even 199 days after it was posted, unlimited download traffic, no fear about ratios anymore, the providers are unlikely to log anything you download, you only download from one trusted ip, etc) ... and it certainly beats paying a monthly 120$ for a seedbox.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    The oldest binary newsgroups have been around since 1985, that's 22 years and counting!

Usenet is like the cockroach of filesharing.
    It's been around forever, and will outlive everything else.
    Last edited by Broken; 09-29-2007 at 06:03 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    i read somewhere that usenet cannot be closed down by anyone, is that correct?

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by djkemp1 View Post
    Read here - http://www.ecos.sourceware.org/ml/au.../msg00420.html

yo

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by djkemp1 View Post
    Read here - http://www.ecos.sourceware.org/ml/au.../msg00420.html

I don't get what that has to do with anything.
    Last edited by Broken; 09-29-2007 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast