Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to all this

Can you share files via uTorrent privately with someone? It sounds theoretcially possible. In other owrds can I create a torrent file, send it to someone and they in turn DL a file from my HD directly?
    Thanks,Bill

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by upkerry11 View Post
    Can you share files via uTorrent privately with someone? It sounds theoretcially possible. In other owrds can I create a torrent file, send it to someone and they in turn DL a file from my HD directly?
    Thanks,Bill
    If you want to send files privately best do it via msn....or even better set up some kind of ftp.

When i had my server i used serv u and then i only allowed certain ip access and then i could ul/dl from and to server.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    thenastyguy BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    It is possible to send privately by utorrent but you will have to find a tracker which don't demands uploading on a site. Some time ago there was a popular tracker of that kind and it name was mongo but now it doesn't exists so you have to find some other. I don't know there names because I'm not interested in public trackers...

But game4eva is right. The best way to send it privately is using FTP.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I tried just naming a torrent iosdhojd (jibberish in other words) uploading it onto a tracker in misc.....then so no one would download it.....and it worked. I didnt want to send it anonymously i just wanted to see if it would work lol!!
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Use µTorrent's embedded tracker.

From the µTorrent FAQ:
    Does µTorrent have an embedded tracker?
    Yes, it does. You can turn it on by enabling bt.enable_tracker in the Advanced section. However, it is a very simple tracker, with no web interface, or even the ability to see what torrents are hosted on it. It is not designed for anything requiring security or large-scale. A stand-alone tracker is much better for this. It allows all torrents, external or not, to be tracked on it when enabled.

Once you have enabled it, you can use it by simply putting the tracker's URL into a torrent. The tracker URL is http://your.ip:port/announce (port being µTorrent's incoming port). IP can be external or internal, depending on if you want to use it in a LAN or across the Internet.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    I *think* I understand this. Thanks to you and all the other folks for the advice.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK View Post
    Use µTorrent's embedded tracker.

From the µTorrent FAQ:
    Does µTorrent have an embedded tracker?
    Yes, it does. You can turn it on by enabling bt.enable_tracker in the Advanced section. However, it is a very simple tracker, with no web interface, or even the ability to see what torrents are hosted on it. It is not designed for anything requiring security or large-scale. A stand-alone tracker is much better for this. It allows all torrents, external or not, to be tracked on it when enabled.

Once you have enabled it, you can use it by simply putting the tracker's URL into a torrent. The tracker URL is http://your.ip:port/announce (port being µTorrent's incoming port). IP can be external or internal, depending on if you want to use it in a LAN or across the Internet.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    or just use
    tracker.phogotorrents.com:2006/announce
    tracker.prq.to/announce
    in case the torrent leaks out plus you don't need to run a tracker 24/7
    as long as DHT is disabled, and no one ups the torrent to a dump site, or have the same hash as another torrent on those trackers, it will be private between the ppl with the torrent file

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I heard there was a new protocol for sharing things privately over internet, cant remeber what it is now it's on tip of my tongue..... will let u know

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    You may want to try either All Peers or Pando they both in Beta and are free. I havent tryed them yet so I coulndnt tell you much more see below for links.

All Peers Link-> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3234/

Pando link-> http://www.pando.com/beta/what

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    oo3's Avatar Supa Friendly AviatR
    I think FTP would be better. Does anyone know what speeds you can get out of it?

When I use FTP, it tends to d/l pretty fast. And it's directly from the computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast