Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain mice?

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    for instance:

The Razer™ Copperhead™ High Precision Gaming Mouse gives you the speed and precision you need for better gaming. Featuring Ultra large non-slip rubber coated mouse buttons and tactile response design, it gives you powerful controls that will streamline the way you work. This mouse offers high speed motion detection of up to 45 ips and frame rate of over 7080 frames per second. Its Always-On™ mode optical sensor never powers down, providing instantaneous response at all times during gameplay. It comes with seven physical independently programmable buttons with Razer's Hyperresponse™ technology for optimized gaming response. Additionally, it boasts a zero acoustic Ultraslick™ Teflon feet for smooth motion over any surface. With gold plated USB connector and 7 feet lightweight and non-tangle cord, the Razer Copperhead™ High Precision Gaming Mouse is the ideal solution for users who demand optimum precision and accuracy in their gaming.

Highlights

* 2000 DPI Laser Engine Powered by Razer Precision™
    * Features 1000 Hz Ultrapolling™ with 1 ms response time
    * 32 KB Onboard Memory Powered by Razer Synapse™
    * Gold plated USB connector for maximum conductivity
    * Ergonomic ambidextrous design with GlowPipe™ non-slip side rails

what does this shit mean?

1st - This mouse offers high speed motion detection of up to 45 ips and frame rate of over 7080 frames per second.

2nd - Its Always-On™ mode optical sensor never powers down, providing instantaneous response at all times during gameplay. (mine doesn't do this already? it turns off?)

3rd - 2000 DPI Laser Engine Powered by Razer Precision

i've seen other mice with similar characteristics, but i have no idea wtf. lol, i just buy logitech mice and they work. not just "this" razor mouse, but mice in general, what's good to know and what are good specs?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    First of all the copperhead is a great mouse.

Second...1 and 3 are basically treating the same thing, the sensors in the mouse are very, very sensitive, at 2000 dpi/45 ips (inches per second?) it registers very slight and/or quick movements.

This is also aided by the ultrapolling bit, which lets it communicate very fast with the usb port.

Me, I've liked mine from the start, but for some people it takes some getting used to. With the precision of the sensor (it registers up to 2000 dots, or steps, per inch) it gives you better control than a lot of mice, and it also means that you don't have to move your hand as much, at least not with my settings.

The 'Always-On'-thing is a bit silly, it just means that the mouse won't go into some sort of waiting mode if you don't touch it for some time afaik.
    This is useful in a way, I suppose, as there may be a slight lag before a mouse in such a mode starts to respond.

In mouses that run on batteries a wait-state is good in order to save power, the razer doesn't, tho'. But you might as well say that it lacks a feature.

What's good about the razer:

*The onboard memory means that you can save your settings (these encompass how sensitive you want the mouse to be, and what buttons you want to do what) in the mouse, so that using the mouse with another computer still lets you keep the same settings.

*It also has its own flashable firmware.

*The glowpipes are just bling, really, but they do look nice.

*It's very accurate.

*It does have those teflon pads, so it slides well on decent surfaces.
    (I still use other pads on mine tho', 'cos it's slides like on ice on my icemat that way.)

*The way it's shaped makes it equally usable with your left and right hand, and the glowpipe exteriors make for a good grip too.
    Last edited by Snee; 10-21-2006 at 12:53 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Karen DiConcet's Avatar -to - Festival newb
    You should look at the weight of mice.

My MX1000 is pretty heavy. You get used to it, but there are some days where it gets on your nerves.

Ooh, buttons, lots of buttons, they're always helpful.
    Lookit, it's one of those things that shows the music I listen to is better than you:

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    My recommendation, btw.

Not quite as sensitive as the copperhead or as many buttons, but still quite enough for most people, and it's also cheaper.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Raz0r 2000 dpi...pffft.

I still pwn with these
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    My G7 lets me change the DPI from 400 to 2000 (on the fly with buttons on the mouse ).
    2000 is wayy too fast for me so i havent found any use for it yet, but i use 1200 as that's the same as my old mouse's speed so doesn't take any getting used to.

In reviews it says changing the dpi on the fly is good for games, for example in an FPS you can use 2000dpi for quick movements then lower it down to 800 or something for sniping.

edit: seedler what does the top of that mouse look like?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    seedler what does the top of that mouse look like?
    The top of a mouse?

I don't see it
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    My G7 lets me change the DPI from 400 to 2000 (on the fly with buttons on the mouse ).
    2000 is wayy too fast for me so i havent found any use for it yet, but i use 1200 as that's the same as my old mouse's speed so doesn't take any getting used to.

In reviews it says changing the dpi on the fly is good for games, for example in an FPS you can use 2000dpi for quick movements then lower it down to 800 or something for sniping.
    TBH, I hardly ever use that function, I think I used it once for some game JP posted a while ago, but otherwise I just go 2000 dpi all the time.

(Copperheads have it too )

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY View Post

TBH, I hardly ever use that function, I think I used it once for some game JP posted a while ago, but otherwise I just go 2000 dpi all the time.

(Copperheads have it too )
    Ya i'll proly end up making the buttons control volume or something.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    can someone explain the differences. it's not registering yet. i mean, if someone told me they had 1gb of ram i knew the differences between that and 2gb of ram or let's say 2gb of ram with cl of 4 and the other is cl of 2.5. what about these mouse specs? like 1600dpi for one mouse and 2000dpi for another? what is that? the 2000 makes the mouse move even faster? fps on a mouse? one mouse is 6400fps and the other is 7800fps? what's going on there? lol, sorry 'bout that, but i just don't understand. never really researched mice this much. also, which is better? drivers for a mouse or updating a mouse's firmware? do those razor mice have drivers and firmware? or just firmware? thanks for all the discussion so far as it's been a good read for me. thx.

also, this is the closest thing i can find to my current mouse. it doesn't have any specs like that of what i'm asking so i can't compare my mouse to these ULTIMATE mice that are out today. it gets the job done so if i were to start using some of these mice with actual specs i'd probably be overwhelmed or are things like 2000dpi or 7800fps on a mouse pointless?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast