Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Manhunt 2 banned in UK

WHiKWiRE's Avatar MooPhEuS
    Rockstar Games' Manhunt 2 has achieved the dubious honour of being only one of two games to be banned in the UK. The highly anticipated upcoming title, which casts gamers in the role of doctor Daniel Lam--who offers himself as a guinea pig for a neurological weapons project--was due to go on sale in the country on the Wii, PlayStation Portable, and PlayStation 2 on July 13. However, both the PS2 and Wii versions have been refused a rating by the British Board of Film Classification, meaning they cannot be legally sold in the UK. The PSP version has not yet been submitted to the BBFC for a rating.

The reasoning behind the decision is that, according to BBFC director David Cooke, "Manhunt 2 is distinguishable from recent high-end video games by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone in an overall game context which constantly encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing. There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game."

Cooke says that the decision is not one that the board has taken lightly, and that where possible, it considers cuts or modifications to the game to remove offensive material. However, in the case of Manhunt 2 "this has not been possible."

The first game in the series, Manhunt, was given an 18 rating by the BBFC when it was released back in 2003. However, Cooke stated that, "Although the difference should not be exaggerated, the fact of the game's unrelenting focus on stalking and brutal slaying and the sheer lack of alternative pleasures on offer to the gamer, together with the different overall narrative context, contribute towards differentiating this submission from the original Manhunt game." He added that the first title was already "at the very top end" of what it considered acceptable for an 18 certificate, and that it came before the results of recent BBFC research were released.

The game has been refused a certificate on both the Wii and PlayStation 2 platforms, as to release it would "involve a range of unjustifiable harm risks, to both adults and minors." The board adds that even if the game was confined to an adult release, it would "still be unacceptable to the public."

The game is the first to be refused a classification since Carmageddon in 1997. The car combat game developed by SCi and published by Interplay allowed racers to destroy opponents and murder pedestrians. However, the decision to refuse classification of Carmageddon was overturned on appeal by the Video Appeals Committee.

UK games industry body ELSPA released a statement from director Paul Jackson, which said, "A decision from the BBFC such as this demonstrates that we have a games ratings system in the UK that is effective. It shows it works and works well. Any decision the BBFC takes, it takes on the basis of its remit to rate onscreen entertainment."

The BBFC statement concluded that the game's distributors would also have the right to appeal the decision. Rockstar Games had not returned calls to comment as of press time.

[UPDATE] The Irish Film Censor's Office has also announced that the game has been banned in the Republic of Ireland. In a statement, the board gave its reasoning as follows, "IFCO recognizes that in certain films, DVDs and video games, strong graphic violence may be a justifiable element within the overall context of the work. However, in the case of Manhunt 2, IFCO believes that there is no such context, and the level of gross, unrelenting and gratuitous violence is unacceptable."

Source: GameSpot

August 1st, 2007
    Gamespot: Rockstar appeals UK Manhunt 2 ban
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 08-01-2007 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Italics and added image. /added related

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Boo-Hoo, I was looking forward to killing people in violent and grusome ways.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Man, ratings boards suck ass.

I wonder do they ban movies like Halloween too.

What is weird also is that adults can't even buy the game.

Hey newsflash:

Howz about making it illegal to sell M-rated games to minors instead of chopping off adult content for....adults?

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    BANNED BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    i loved the first one, pure, free raping violence
    easier the best stress killer you could play till now

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Oh I really , really want it now . Why are movies ok but not games for adults ?

6. News (Archive)   -   #6

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    Oh I really, really want it now .Why are movies ok but not games for adults?
    I totally agree. Though then again I was desensitized a long time ago.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by whickwire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss View Post
    Oh I really, really want it now .Why are movies ok but not games for adults?
    I totally agree. Though then again I was desensitized a long time ago.
    Well thats just it ,I can go to a theater and watch Hostel 2 but can't buy the game for example . I know what my kids are playing or watching , some are more mature than others , example I would let my 15 year old watch or play a violent game or movie but not the 11 year old . They both know its make believe but the younger one would have nightmares .

Let the parents decide .

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    SaveFerris's Avatar ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Quote Originally Posted by jokzor View Post
    i loved the first one, pure, free raping violence
    easier the best stress killer you could play till now
    Postal2, dude.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    {UPDATE}ERSB GIVES MANHUNT AO RATING

Earlier today, the British Board of Film Classification gave Manhunt 2 a thumbs down, banning it from sale in the UK due to its "unremitting bleakness" and "casual sadism." Now it appears the Entertainment Software Rating Board is ready to hand down its own most restrictive rating to the latest controversial offering from Take-Two Interactive and Rockstar Games.

A Take-Two representative told GameSpot today that the ESRB has issued an initial rating of AO for Adults Only to Manhunt 2. While not an outright ban, the rating would severely limit a game's sales potential, as most major American retailers have chosen not to carry games rated AO.

As for the reason this is only an "initial" rating, when the ESRB rates a game, it notifies the publisher 30 days prior to publicly releasing its decision. This gives publishers unhappy with ratings the chance to either modify their games and resubmit them for a second assessment, or go before the ESRB's appeals board to challenge it directly.

"We believe the process of rating video games is to help people make informed entertainment choices and not to limit them," a Take-Two representative said. "Manhunt 2 was created for mature audiences and we strongly believe it should receive an M (Mature) rating, aligning it with similar content created in other forms of media. We are exploring our options with regard to the rating of Manhunt 2."

While Take-Two doesn't agree with the idea of an AO-rated Manhunt 2, one parent watchdog group believes it's only appropriate. Earlier today, Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood demanded that the ESRB give Manhunt 2 an AO rating, saying that "harmful effects of ultra-violent video games on children will be magnified by playing them on the interactive Nintendo Wii system."

The group's announcement contained a statement from Dr. Michael Rich, director of the Center on Media and Child Health at Children's Hospital Boston, who explained, "The content of Manhunt 2 and the unique physical interaction with the Wii control combine to take [the game's simulation] a level closer to reality--we can expect that the effects of this experience will be even greater."

The group directed like-minded individuals to contact ESRB president Patricia Vance with their concerns, and Vance today issued her response.

"We have received the letter from CCFC and, while we might take issue with some of the statements made within, we sincerely appreciate their expressed concerns," Vance said. "Our ratings are intended to provide guidance that allows parents to choose games they deem suitable for their children, and that is a responsibility we take extremely seriously."

Manhunt 2 is currently slated for a July 10 release on the PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, and Wii.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    If they had called the game something else and didn't claim it as a sequel to Manhunt then this wouldn't have been banned. The story over here about the killing inspire by the first game grinds my gears, especially with the mother of the murdered boy declaring they were "absolutely elated" at the ban when you consider:

In the UK, the game was linked to the murder of Stefan Pakeerah, 14, by his friend Warren Leblanc, 17. Giselle Pakeerah, the victim's mother, claimed[9] that Leblanc had been 'obsessed' with the game after the former pleaded guilty in court. During the subsequent media circus, the game was removed from sale by some vendors, such as the UK and international branches of GAME and Dixons, leading to "significantly increased" demand[10] both from retailers and on internet auction sites. The police denied any such link between the game and the murder however,[11] citing drug-related robbery as the motive. The presiding judge also placed sole responsibility with Leblanc in his summing up after awarding him a life sentence.[12] GAME have since returned Manhunt to their shelves, after it transpired that the murderer did not even own or ever play the game. It was apparently the victim who owned a copy of Manhunt, even though he was under 18.

Any parent supplying their children with adult content should be charged with child abuse. Including you, Giselle Pakeerah.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast