Thread: one more block needed

NVM it was Astraweb, so I'm back with Giganews and a mod could delete this thread.
    Last edited by mikeHD; 04-10-2009 at 10:52 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Is switching to Giganews the only solution?

I've had Astraweb for about 6 months now and been very happy with them, but this morning I got the same problem you had. I just need one more block. I would prefer not to switch to another provider if I can avoid that.

The nzb I downloaded this morning is only twelve days old, and I've tried to repair with QuickPar to no success.

I'm using Alt.binz 0.28.4 if that matters.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Hmm, well that happens alot for me during my download, but as long as all the par files are their I'm able to repair, I get that alot, but I'm always able to repair them, if you really want to pay double for service by all means do that, but you spending almost 3x as much at Giganews.
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 04-11-2009 at 06:39 PM.
    [center]

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    sucks for you

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    This shouldn't be happening. 9 out of 10 times my downloads don't need repair, and only 1 of 10 times a download needs one or two blocks repaired. If I do have to repair, The number of recovery blocks posted is dozens or hundreds of times the number of blocks I need to repair. I have Giganews but don't need to use it much.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mesaman View Post
    This shouldn't be happening. 9 out of 10 times my downloads don't need repair, and only 1 of 10 times a download needs one or two blocks repaired. If I do have to repair, The number of recovery blocks posted is dozens or hundreds of times the number of blocks I need to repair. I have Giganews but don't need to use it much.
    Recently (okay, definition for 'recently' for me is say, the past year or so) many posters have been getting WAY overconfident on posting pars. There are several folks out there (with WAY too much bandwidth and, IMHO, WAY too little smarts) that post <.01% pars (in other words, only the ability to repair a very minor ding on one rar-file).

I hit one that almost didn't repair this morning, where the pars where right around 2%. I had over 20 'dinged' rar parts, and needed every bit of the pars to repair things. When I run into that (and, it IS pretty rare), I look back to where the thing was posted at; in this case, it was Astraweb, and I was d/l'ing OFF Astra-web, so....

happens. If posters would simply monitor their uploads (either on the server they're shoving to, or better yet, a third party to monitors distribution), all 'tried and true' techniques from the 'olden days' of usenet... then perhaps things wouldn't happen.

Then again, I still see a fair number of requests for 'more pars!' from folks (from their routing info) on very poor (ISP news-servers usually) that couldn't handle anywhere near the volume of traffic on any of the DVD groups on a REALLY good day.

Things have gotten a LOT better than even 2-3 years ago, but it isn't a perfect system by any means. Does every post need 10% pars like 10 years ago? Nope. But the <.01% that I see all the time? NO. But, some folks think it's more than enough. And maybe if I was on FIOS I'd probably think it as well.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post

...20 'dinged' rar parts...
    What dinged them? I would have to learn how it happened. I don't see any "Astraweb unreliable for posting" topics.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by mesaman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post

...20 'dinged' rar parts...
    What dinged them? I would have to learn how it happened. I don't see any "Astraweb unreliable for posting" topics.
    Perhaps not, but there are several 'Incomplete files with Astraweb' topics.

yo

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    And most are fakes as well and virus's.
    [center]