Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pentatonic Scales. Simple or Necessary

MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Is the Pentatonic a main stay of your soloing or do you simply use it
    when you need something that is almost impossible to mis-note while soloing?
    If you don't prefer a Pentatonic scale, which do you use? And in what situation. Do you use combinations of scales? Please tell.

I like to use the Pentatonic minor and blend in with the Natural minor.
    I find the major scale a little boring unless I'm using it for chord progressions.
    Diminished scales are cool sounding, but what use have they other than in
    a jazz-like scenario. Feel free to elaborate on all of your findings.
    Last edited by MaxOverlord; 04-25-2007 at 08:56 PM.

2. Music   -   #2
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    I'm not a huge fan of pentatonic, ever since I started playing guitar all my friends have held the pentatonic in a high and might place, yes its good and def. necessary if some cases, but I don't use it as much as most people.

Diminished runs are my speciality, the whole step and harmonic minor scales are also pretty freakin cool get to pull off some amazing things on those scales

but i digress, I'm not a huge fan of theory, I'm self taught and I just never really liked learning theory, I'm a "play by feel" kind of guitarist, whatever flows or comes to my head I play, I don't rely on scales, which my friends tell me means I have the fretboard memorized like no tomorrow, I've also been told its a good talent to have where you can solo whenever without thinking about what scale.

And yes, I suppose then that I do switch scales and never stick w/ the same one in one solo (which might sound weird, but it actually works out)

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

3. Music   -   #3
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Me likes dim chords a lot, I guess its like teh foods, like it or not.

Pentatonticalz, like, 5 notes in octave stuff is like the basic 2-finger thingies
    which folks learn first I suppose.

Sure, I like 'em too, sometimes, but 5 notes outta 12 ain't enuff.
    There's much more to it.

Now shredshredshred...
    Spoiler: Show

4. Music   -   #4
    Man I'm loving diminished runs, they're like the best for getting your sweep picking or economy picking up, hell, they'd probably get ur alternate picking up too!

Dim. runs (chords, scales, etc) and also Harmonic Minor scales are my freakin favs, or that I find myself using most, but like I said, I do whatever my fingers wnat me to do and just go w/ the flow

5. Music   -   #5
    Have any of you studied intervals instead of just scale patterns.
    While it is true scales are intervals broken up into their respected patterns.
    Im looking for more of something like this: Lets say youve got a progression in the key of G. And your first note of whatever scale your going to use is G.
    Now instead of thinking geee what steps can I take to proceed to this scale how about thinking how would a minor6 sound after this G?

The point Im trying to make is I think...and it is something Ive been working with is if you can get to the point where you can master intervals and their sounds in respect to the preceding note you could run up and down the fret board at will......of course always keeping in mind the key and/or key changes. And also you could always get the emotional sound...whether it be sad,,,dark,,,,happy...so on. Any input??

6. Music   -   #6
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Afronaut View Post

Pentatonticalz, like, 5 notes in octave stuff is like the basic 2-finger thingies

There's much more to it.

Now shredshredshred...

Teh Dim chords are OK.. but teh Dumb chords are teh greatest IMO

7. Music   -   #7
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Afronaut View Post

There's much more to it.

Now shredshredshred...

Teh Dim chords are OK.. but teh Dumb chords are teh greatest IMO
    Yes, quite often cool riffs comes up from dum chords.
    Ergo Teh Zen:
    Keep playing wrong.

btw, took a peek on SS.
    nice room

laters
    Spoiler: Show

8. Music   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxOverlord View Post
    4......of course always keeping in mind the key and/or key changes. And also you could always get the emotional sound...whether it be sad,,,dark,,,,happy...so on. Any input??
    Well thats all in the dynamics man, regardless of what scale/mode/interval you're playing in, its completely dependent on what type of dynamics and note durations you use

9. Music   -   #9
    The point I was trying to make is if you can simply master Intervals and their qualities in relation to the preceding note you wont have to worry about learning the 15 million scales there are.
    As far as note holding I dont think that has anything to do with getting an emotional sound unless the chord behind it changes.
    You could for example play a minor chord and then a major and that major chord...which a lot of times we associate with being "happy" will sound minor too. You could go as far as to say a chord/note is only happy/sad/dark etc. sounding depending on the note played before it. So in that respect learning intervals instead of worrying solely on scale patterns will better help you get the emotional tone(not guitar tone...tone as in note) you are looking for.
    Sidenote...5 favorite guitar solos!
    Last edited by MaxOverlord; 04-28-2007 at 12:47 PM.

10. Music   -   #10

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOverlord View Post
    The point I was trying to make is if you can simply master Intervals and their qualities in relation to the preceding note you wont have to worry about learning the 15 million scales there are.
    As far as note holding I dont think that has anything to do with getting an emotional sound unless the chord behind it changes.
    You could for example play a minor chord and then a major and that major chord...which a lot of times we associate with being "happy" will sound minor too. You could go as far as to say a chord/note is only happy/sad/dark etc. sounding depending on the note played before it. So in that respect learning intervals instead of worrying solely on scale patterns will better help you get the emotional tone(not guitar tone...tone as in note) you are looking for.
    Sidenote...5 favorite guitar solos!
    Gotcha, and yea you're right when it comes to that, I still have yet to learn/hang of intervals, should get around to doing that when I get back in mid july.

As for 5 fav solos?

5) Under the Influence - Rusty Cooley
    4) Walk With Me in Hell - Mark Morton (Lamb of God --- easy as hell solo, but its very effective due to the dynamics used)
    3) Ambivalent - Jeff Loomis (Nevermore)
    2) Engines of Hate - Jeff Loomis (Nevermore) <--- legato god
    1) Born - Jeff Loomis (Nevermore) <--- fucking guitar god this guy is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast