Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pimp uTorrent on my Seedbox

Just got the OVH 100mbit Seedbox 3Ghz, 1Gb RAM etc..
    Need an expert help on how to improve my UPLOAD speeds. Using wine+uTorrent. Uploading only to HDbits.
    At this point you expertise on uTorrent tweaking is really what im looking for. I did set up 100mbit in speed test.

Here is what i need help on what is it/what does it do:

Preferences > BitTorrent:

1. Enable DHT Network (for new torrents as well)- when i turn that on i get an impression that my upload speeds get better..

2. Enable Local peer discovery - what is that? (have it checked now)

3. Ask tracker for scrape info - does that even affect my upload?

4. Enable peer exchange - ? (i have it on)

5. Protocol Encryption - SHould I enable or disable it?

6. Allow incoming legacy connections - ?

If there is something else that i didnt mention, please ask, and I'll tell you what my settings are (I probably got it all wrong). I didnt mess up with the ADVANCED settings. Tip me on those as well.

Now Ive been having problems with my upload since I gotten the server... In the mean time i did turn of the SLA and started messing with the settins above, and my speeds have gotten a bit better, but to me its like a shot in the dark... Have no idea what those features actually do, and really need your expert help here. It's just painful to see other leechers using the same box/provider as me, and connecting way after me, getting more GB uploads and faster speeds

Look forward to some guru help

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    bossapoelara's Avatar FTN Hitman BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by svemir View Post

1. Enable DHT Network (for new torrents as well)- when i turn that on i get an impression that my upload speeds get better..

5. Protocol Encryption - SHould I enable or disable it?

about the 1.
    dont use the DHT network. its not allowed on private trackers.. I think ( iam not 100% sure ) dht is a public network and if you enable it you give the files of the private site to the public.. my opinion turn that off

for the 5. enable it

thats all i can help

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    fstokebanget's Avatar j-e-ib BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    increase your disk cache to around 512 mb

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman51 View Post
    increase your disk cache to around 512 mb
    Why should I increase cache size to 512MB ? I thought that it only matters when you are downloading (writing) to a hard drive. Does it help the uploads as well??

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by WowZrBowser View Post
    Turn on the encryption but dont force it... That way people who have forced can dl off you, and people who arent using it can still dl off you.
    Thanks man, got that On now.
    Anything I should mess with in the ADVANCED settings? I noticed that sometimes when there are even 150+ leechers and I'm seeding, I connect to only few of them on a few hours old torrent. Really strange, and I'm sure it has something to do with the settings and/or my speeds which I believe depend on the settings as well.
    Any ideas?

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Member BT Rep: +1
    defo dont put DHT on as you will end up banned on most private sites!

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Disable peer exchange as well as DHT. Never turn those on. If you have comcast i would force encryption if not then leave legacy connection on but still use encryption (Due to isp's doing traffic shaping).

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Albo Da Kid's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    if you dont mind me asking. How much do you pay a month for your seedbox Svemir?? and whats the upload and download limit per month??

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by grimms View Post
    Disable peer exchange as well as DHT. Never turn those on. If you have comcast i would force encryption if not then leave legacy connection on but still use encryption (Due to isp's doing traffic shaping).
    Could you please explain why to disable peer exchange?
    My box is unlimited bandwidth http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/start100mpluslarge.xml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast