Thread: Trying to download help!

Hey, i am new to this still and don't fully undertstand how the downloading of older files work/retention. Basically i'm trying to download this file here http://www.nzbclub.com/nzbcollection.aspx?cid=422701

The file is supposed to be 139days old. Now i have my service provider Virgin Media and now i'm not sure if it is because of them that i can't download the file or that the file simply no longer exists. According to Nesleecher this is the message in the log:

24/11/2008 05:39:39 Importing NZB File. (C:\Documents and Settings\suli\Desktop\422701.nzb)
    24/11/2008 05:39:40 .............
    24/11/2008 05:39:40 ¤ Article part (#6) not downloaded. Article "Sanford and Son Season 3 XVid_____File 05 of 23 - "10 Superflyer.part04.rar" 19.0 MBytes yEnc" from server "news.virginmedia.com".
    24/11/2008 05:39:40 ¤ Server response: "430 No such article". Part Msg ID: "[email protected]". Part Format: "Unknown".

It lists a whole page like this about no such article!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Yep, it is because of virgin media. Their retention was 7 days or so the last time I checked, anything older you won't be able to download. Only thing I can say to help is get pay for access to a premium server, e.g astraweb or giganews

Great offer here http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html
    Last edited by torrentguy; 11-24-2008 at 06:59 AM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    ok so when i'm looking for a service provider i need really to take into consideration how many days retention they offer and also any download limits imposed/choosen in package. Correct?

If the above is correct then really if i am not wrong it looks like giganews is the best provider out there with 240days retention.....

Or put it this way, i'd like a provider that i have the option of downloading stuff thats over 200days old plus they have a pretty decent speed. Initially i wouldn't be downloading a ton of stuff simply because i can use virgin for my newer downloads as its free so really the paid subscrption would be for the older stuff....

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tox08 View Post
    ok so when i'm looking for a service provider i need really to take into consideration how many days retention they offer and also any download limits imposed/choosen in package. Correct?

If the above is correct then really if i am not wrong it looks like giganews is the best provider out there with 240days retention.....

Or put it this way, i'd like a provider that i have the option of downloading stuff thats over 200days old plus they have a pretty decent speed. Initially i wouldn't be downloading a ton of stuff simply because i can use virgin for my newer downloads as its free so really the paid subscrption would be for the older stuff....
    Yep sounds like GigaNews is what you want. They are the best and as far as I know, they are the only server with over 200 days retention. It's a lot more expensive but then I guess that's because of the retention

5. Newsgroups   -   #5

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Virgin Media has 120 days retention, and the files you wanted were 139 days old; you only missed them by a couple of weeks or so.

Why not a paid block provider for any 120+ days older stuff?

Unless you would like to pay for an expensive unlimited subscription that might not even be necessary in your case.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    I thought virgin media had a longer retention becuase i did download some files that were over 100 days old! With regards to this statement here:

Why not a paid block provider for any 120+ days older stuff?

What do you mean? Sorry to sound thick but i am still a noob at this!

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    You could buy 110 GB from Astraweb at a fixed price; a 110 GB block to use as needed.
    Last edited by mesaman; 11-25-2008 at 04:52 PM.