Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Dont Optical Drives Ever Burn At Advertised Speed?

kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    my dvd drive is a 20x but never burns higher than 7x or so. if i burn at 16x i get bad burns so i am stuck at 8x.

i have tried tons of different media and always get the same results. i am currently using verbatim 16x dvd+r

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by kooftspc11 View Post
    my dvd drive is a 20x but never burns higher than 7x or so. if i burn at 16x i get bad burns so i am stuck at 8x.

i have tried tons of different media and always get the same results. i am currently using verbatim 16x dvd+r
    You can burn Data at very high speeds but not Video or Images, it's just the way it works.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    kooftspc11's Avatar WWW.STFU.LOL BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgy368 View Post

You can burn Data at very high speeds but not Video or Images, it's just the way it works.
    do you mean raw video or encoded video? would burning an xvid be considered video or data?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    dodgy368's Avatar Poster

do you mean raw video or encoded video? would burning an xvid be considered video or data?
    Any kind of video needs to be burned slower than say text documents.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    it's also limited by the speed of the media you are using. that's why you're not burning at 20x. What kind of burner do you have? Maybe a firmware upgrade would help.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo

Any kind of video needs to be burned slower than say text documents.
    Who says?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    AmpeD's Avatar the o'lol factor BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    probably because cd's burn at 48x usually, dvd's burn alot slower (8x?). and if you are trying to burn an avi to dvd it can go alot slower b/c it has to convert. but if you are just burning, everything should go the same speed.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    if you're using an IDE drive:

make sure you have the drive plugged into a channel that doesn't have an IDE hard drive on it.

make sure you have DMA enabled on the channel that the drive is plugged into.

make sure you're using an 80 conductor IDE cable.

make sure you have the master/slave/cable select jumper on the drive set properly.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    One thing you need to realise, the write speed is not constant across the full width of the disk. You only get full speed near the outer edges of the disk, otherwise the disk would have to spin too fast. Your drive should take care of that automatically though.

That said, you shouldn't see any loss in quality when it finally gets up to the highest speed. In addition, all the recording on DVDs is pure digital data, the quality of the playback should not be affected by the recording speed, you can either read the data or you can't. In other words, the playback doesn't degrade, it just stops, although this is overcome in software.

Audio CDs are different, the data is encoded in such a way that recording speed can affect playback. In theory the chances of data recovery are higher, but only on players which read the full digital data. Most players aren't capable of doing that sort of recovery which is where the quality of playback is degraded on a poor recording.

The bottom line is that if you can't read disks written at the highest speeds, then either the media or the writer is faulty. Since you've tried different media types, and assuming that you aren't doing something silly like putting your fingerprints on the unrecorded disk, I'd suggest you've got a faulty writer.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    You need to use good quality media and set the drive as master

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast