0 0%
  • Tomato Torrent

0 0%
  • Bits on Wheels

0 0%
  • Other (detail in post)

3 17.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which OSX BT client do you prefer (and why)...

madbeer's Avatar brewed locally BT Rep: +1
    I know this thread has been done before, but I just wanted to do another poll to see what you OSX users prefer.

If you like, explain why you use the client you voted for.

I'll start:

Currently using Azureus (sans Vuze), because I love all the configuration options it lets me tweak. Also, I'm not using any third party plugins, just stripped most of the default ones off (unpnp, etc). Lastly, I like all the frequent updates Azureus pushes; it seems the development community for Azureus is really strong.
    Last edited by madbeer; 05-05-2008 at 07:49 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    BANNED BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    It's not a bad time to do it, since Transmission has really grown into a lovely and full-functioning client in the last year or so since I've been using it. I definitely prefer it to Azureus. I found it confusing and still don't really know how to use it.

I don't think any of the other picks are even comparable.

The only client that can compete is rTorrent. It's a bit more advanced because you have to set it up yourself and it is command line based. But it runs beautifully, as anyone with Linux will probably tell you. It's much more lightweight, but has fewer features. I was using it exclusively for a while, but since Transmission is now allowed on my favorite tracker, I can use it again. It looks vastly improved since 2 months ago even. Transmission ftw!

For rTorrent installation follow this guide or Google or if you really need help PM me.

http://blog.jonypawks.net/2007/02/14...rrent-on-os-x/

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Sexeh BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Azureus for me.

Mainly b/c Transmission used to have issues in reporting the correct seeding amounts to the tracker and such, which I'm sure is fixed now. Also b/c of the fact that Azureus is cross-platform, updated often, and fairly mature.

Only drawback is it's java
    Do not pm me for invites. At the moment I will not be participating here in that regard. I will ignore your pm.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by dunson View Post

The only client that can compete is rTorrent. ... It's much more lightweight, but has fewer features.
    I use rtorrent on my linux boxes, and the main reasons I didnt install it on OSX were 2:

1.) Didnt want to install Xcode (~1GB) -- and yes I understand that this is a lame reason
    2.)Love gui's too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Azureus for me.

Mainly b/c Transmission used to have issues in reporting the correct seeding amounts to the tracker and such, which I'm sure is fixed now. Also b/c of the fact that Azureus is cross-platform, updated often, and fairly mature.

Only drawback is it's java
    Whats wrong with java?

Also, transmission has a cool web front end (http://clutchbt.com/), which makes me consider switching to it more and more.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    clos's Avatar The Zinc Saucier BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Think your forgetting a few...
    http://www.xtorrentp2p.com/
    http://www.bitrocket.org/

Azureus is good if you need features that transmission still doesn't have, like the ability to use a proxy for transfers.... but when it gets that feature it'll be the best

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Sexeh BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by madbeer View Post
    Whats wrong with java?
    Java is code word for Ram Whore depending on the situation.
    Do not pm me for invites. At the moment I will not be participating here in that regard. I will ignore your pm.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Debate is overrated BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    I've used Transmission for a long time, but like B said (welcome back <3 ) it reported wrong and it even downloaded things over and over again.
    I stick with Azureus for now, not that i'm a big fan of slow computers but because it's the only client that has vast options.
    I'm still waiting for µTorrent for Mac.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Grind$oFine's Avatar get n3rd3d BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    I don't think uTorrent is gonna happen for mac.
    I like Azureus, I've said why many times before.
    Also, I used Transmission around Christmas for a little while and my stats were alright, but I was having issues with FSC, nothing was being recorded - up or down, luckily it was freeleech so I wasn't really cheating the system, but it was a big enough issue that I haven't used it since.

One thing that worries me is I want to use my old G4 to seed, and I'd ideally like to seed a large amount - probably over a hundred with all the albums I've downloaded, but I don't know if I trust Transmission to do that - maybe I'll install rTorrent?.. or does it have to be Intel?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by clos View Post
    Think your forgetting a few...
    http://www.xtorrentp2p.com/
    http://www.bitrocket.org/

Azureus is good if you need features that transmission still doesn't have, like the ability to use a proxy for transfers.... but when it gets that feature it'll be the best
    Thats what the "Other" option is for, I intentionally left off the ones you mention as well as things like Opera 9.

As for the proxies, you cant beat azureus (yet). All you can do with Transmission is use a SOCKS proxy via the network control panel for your adapter. I just tested updating transmission over a socks proxy and it worked fine. This sucks though, cause typically all I would want is to proxy tracker communication, and not peer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by madbeer View Post
    Whats wrong with java?
    Java is code word for Ram Whore depending on the situation.
    I have heard this before, but never really looked. I just checked, and its not really that bad. I was actively seeding 3 torrents and downloading one other when I took the attached screenshot. Granted, transmission (which isnt pictured) was using about 3x less memory than Azureus, but compared to FF and Safari its not all that bad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    puckface's Avatar Unknown Pleasures BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    utorrent w/ crossover
    Go Leafs Go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast