Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uTorrent Encryption Doesn't Really Work?

I'm with Virgin Media and i'm using uTorrent 1.7.7 and I have ticked the use encryption box but still my speeds get messed about with and they drop like crazy after a few hours seeding/downloading. Does it actually work or is there a better method?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Yes - it works.

But it is only 1 factor out of many factors that affect your overall speed.

Number of peers and length of time of torrent, traffic shaping by your ISP, other utorrent settings, OS settings, time of day, experience in knowing what works best on your machine, many others yet to be assessed etc.

Just to mention encryption as a factor and expect us to give reasonable knowledgeable responses is over ambitious to say the least.

Have you ever set up your utorrent preferences to suit your line speeds for instance?
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    It dont says "disk overloaded" or something like that in utorrent? Dont know exactly what it says in english because my utorrent is in swedish but if it says something like that i know your problem and can help you=)

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    jam0980tr's Avatar jam cakes mmm Lovely
    cap your download speed see if that improves your utorrent.
    Down-Speed Up-Speed
    Proud 2 Be a Member Of 0sec Tmp3

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    Yes - it works.

But it is only 1 factor out of many factors that affect your overall speed.

Number of peers and length of time of torrent, traffic shaping by your ISP, other utorrent settings, OS settings, time of day, experience in knowing what works best on your machine, many others yet to be assessed etc.

Just to mention encryption as a factor and expect us to give reasonable knowledgeable responses is over ambitious to say the least.

Have you ever set up your utorrent preferences to suit your line speeds for instance?
    I ran a speed test when I first got uTorrent and I matched it to the speed setup panel so I think that is ok. Hmmm I have DHT enabled I believe and I hear alot of people say switch that off not sure though.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by Halliwell View Post
    I have DHT enabled I believe and I hear alot of people say switch that off not sure though.

In some sites that is enough reason for instant banning.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    thats because it allows peeps that aren't on the tracker to snatch that torrent from you also.. so in essence it unsecured..
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Never really understood what DHT is all about...How do I switch it off?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    right click at bottom where it says dht and options are there to disable it
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    KaySterling's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Halliwell View Post
    Never really understood what DHT is all about...How do I switch it off?
    Options -> Preference -> Bittorrent -> Untick both DHT boxes. Done. DHT disabled.

Edit; Or you can do it as the above poster wrote.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast