Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seedbox question

arkiebrian's Avatar Capitalist Pig BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Do you guys use a seedbox to seed only?

What I mean is - you would dl them on your regular PC and then use your seedbox to seed them once they are done. Is this the common setup or do you do up and down on the seedbox and then move the files to your local machine via FTP or something.

I'm thinking about setting this up but I thought I would rather just use it to seed. Seems to me that all the FTP would be a waste of bandwidth since that is limited on the seedbox.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    If you have a limited BW, then no point in wasting it to FTP to your PC, get another copy of the torrent from another site.

As long as you remember not to have to download the same torrent twice from the same tracker, then use it for what it is called - a seedbox.
    Yes Sir, I'm Right On It!!

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Artemis's Avatar ¿ןɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ BT Rep: +3
    Option b, you download the files to the server and then they are seeded from there. You then access the server via ftp from your home PC and download via ftp. You can setup utorrent so that the webui is running then browse the torrent sites from your pc, save the torrent files (just the torrent file) to disk and then upload them to the webui, then the server downloads the data to the server.There are two advantages to this, 1 you are no longer dl/ul from your pc so you get alot of your bandwidth back and 2 security, the IP leeching & seeding the files isnt your pc, so you are a great deal harder to track from the MPAA & RIAA's perspective.

4d7920686f76657263726166742069732066756c6c206f662065656c73

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    arkiebrian's Avatar Capitalist Pig BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajor View Post
    If you have a limited BW, then no point in wasting it to FTP to your PC, get another copy of the torrent from another site.

As long as you remember not to have to download the same torrent twice from the same tracker, then use it for what it is called - a seedbox.
    Okay...that's what I thought...I'm going to have to try one out. Looks like the upcoming holiday could give me some time to tinker around with it.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Option b, you download the files to the server and then they are seeded from there. You then access the server via ftp from your home PC and download via ftp. You can setup utorrent so that the webui is running then browse the torrent sites from your pc, save the torrent files (just the torrent file) to disk and then upload them to the webui, then the server downloads the data to the server.There are two advantages to this, 1 you are no longer dl/ul from your pc so you get alot of your bandwidth back and 2 security, the IP leeching & seeding the files isnt your pc, so you are a great deal harder to track from the MPAA & RIAA's perspective.
    ya thats what i would do

p.s. Artemis as in Artemis Entreri?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    JA's Avatar //Me<3You!? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    More like Artemis Foul...
    eee

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    download and seed on the seedbox then when wanting to the tv show / movie i'll stream and play the rar files directly into the video player. no hdd waisted and little to no delay in watching the video files. if it is a game or an app i'll download it all to the hdd.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Good point there...thanks.

Thanks everybody. You've painted a much better picture of the seedbox for me.
    Last edited by arkiebrian; 11-20-2007 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielleD87 View Post
    download and seed on the seedbox then when wanting to the tv show / movie i'll stream and play the rar files directly into the video player. no hdd waisted and little to no delay in watching the video files. if it is a game or an app i'll download it all to the hdd.
    have you tried that with hd content?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    LoKaLiRi's Avatar n00b BT Rep: +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55BT Rep +55
    may u use it to get direct links for ur files in the SeedBox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast