Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Powerusenet throttle download speed?

I recently subscibed to them (3 days ago) and chose the best offer they have avaible, my download speed was going between 6MB-8.8MB/sec, I was averaging 7MB/sec at the start. In the first 2 days I've downloaded 160GB of data from usenet and now, on the third day, I notice a great speed reduction and it seems to lower every time I download something. My download speed now is 3.5MB-5MB and its very rare that it goes above 5MB/sec.

So I come here to ask if Powerusenet throttle's with the download speed?

Yes, I know I download alot of things but that is exactly why I payed for unlimited access and I am expecting to get it without them reducing my download speed. No where in their site do they state that they'll reduce the download speed after you downloaded X amount of data.

I'm not 100% sure that its them but I think its pretty obvious+I recently read that it happened to some other guy that downloaded alot.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    isnt more likely you isp is throttling?

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    SgtMajor's Avatar Shut up u Lovely Boi BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Agreed, ISP will be throttling, not Powerusenet, try a different port:

All news readers will require:

Server Name: news.powerusenet.com
    Authentication: required
    Username: (exactly as it appears on startup email)
    Password: (both username and password are case sensitive)

Nearly all news readers will use the default port 119. Power Usenet will also allow connections on port 23 and port 80 (NNTP only).

Have you got the max 12 connection connected?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    yupp its because of ISP mostly.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Killian12321
    Agreed, Virgin Media have started capping now...... sucks as can only download around 4Gb between peak hours without being affected (4pm to midnight!)

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    None of the ports thats been suggested works for me. I'm using the SSl port 563, and I tried the default 119 (or something) and it gave me the same speed. I average 4MB/sec.......are you guys sure its my ISP? Because I just tried speedtest and this is what I got: http://www.speedtest.net/result/185424385.png

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Member BT Rep: +1
    Probably neither your ISP or the newsgroup provider, there are more things could affect a high speed like yours: routers in between, shared bandwith, etc.

3.5MB is already mind-boggling to me.
    Never say "great giveaway", you may get an infraction.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by huqiming View Post
    Probably neither your ISP or the newsgroup provider, there are more things could affect a high speed like yours: routers in between, shared bandwith, etc.

The cable is directly connected to my computer so I should be getting full speed out of it

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Josha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by huqiming View Post

The cable is directly connected to my computer so I should be getting full speed out of it
    No no..he means across the internet. Things farther down the line, not your computer. Maybe your ISP is just under a heavy load right now.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by MagusDraco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Josha View Post

No no..he means across the internet. Things farther down the line, not your computer. Maybe your ISP is just under a heavy load right now.

I just tried to download from a fast torrent site I know and I was getting 7MB/sec download speed and then I quickly switched to usenet and I couldn't even get above 5MB/sec (like I said before)

I'm pretty sure its something with powerusenet, oh well, I'll just cancel the subscription and try something else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast