Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop warranty

Brought a laptop 7 months ago and due to me having a desktop I never really bothered to use the CD/DVD Writer in the laptop. Went to use it for the first time a few weeks ago to find that it coasters every disc I throw at it. The drive also gives crc errors when reading discs that work fine on other computers.

The drive also makes a horrible clicking noise when it's doing anything.

I formatted the Laptop last night and now iin My Computer it only comes up as a DVD-RAM drive and is still making the clicking noise.

It would coaster CD-r's as well but now I can't even get it to do anything.

The laptop was brought from a website and is made by Acer. I've sent Acer an email but I'm waiting for a reply. Ideally I would just a full refund on the item (It's hardly been used, still has the protective plastic on the back and looks new) but I just wanted to know what my rights are when it comes to things like this. I'm still in the warranty period and I'm from the UK if that makes a difference.

As far as I can see Acer no longer produce the laptop (Acer Aspire 9302) so I was thinking they wouldn't be able to replace the unit and would offer me a refund, or would they swap out the DVD drive?

Did I do the right thing going through Acer or should I contact the company I brought it from?

Thanks
    Last edited by Peerzy; 04-29-2008 at 03:09 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Contact both companies and see who responds fastest.
    They'll probably just replace the drive.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Contact both companies and see who responds fastest.
    They'll probably just replace the drive.
    Yeah, however the website I brought the laptop off of stopped selling it only a few weeks after I brought it so what are the chances of them being able to source the correct drive and be able to fit it?

Will contact the website and see what they say.

Acer got back to me but with the worst response ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick @ Acer
    Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.

Regarding your enquiry,
    Can your CD/DVD drive been send in computer (my computer)

Regards
    Nick

Acer Technical Support Team

Opening Times
    Mon – Fri
    09:00 to 17:30

Tel: 0870 853 1000
    Fax: 0870 853 1004
    Email: [email protected]

Please reply with full history when responding to this e-mail.
    It makes no sense whatsoever. I don't really want to call Acer either as the number is an expensive number and I'll be on hold for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by CLL - The company I brought the item from
    Dear James,

Thank you for your enquiry,

We can take the product back for inspection and send it to Acer for repair or replacemeant however you could also contact the manufacture on 0870 853 1000 as the turn around time would be quicker.

We cannot offer a refund as the product over 30 days old. If you would like me to raise a returns number please reply to this e-mail.

Best Regards

Mark R
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer
    Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.

Regarding your enquiry,

We are able to proceed with your enquiry and arrange for your unit to come into our repair centre if the fault requires it for further diagnosis and possible repair. However, the manufacturing date and your date of purchase are quite far apart, more than 3 months. It does happen quite often, and is nothing to worry about.

All we ask is that you provide a copy of your original sales receipt so that we may confirm your date of purchase and warranty status. Once we have done this we can arrange to proceed with your repair. If you can attach your proof of purchase to your return email we can confirm your warranty status and resolve the problem you are currently having.

Regards
    Nick W

Acer Technical Support Team
    I replied with:

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Hello

Attached is an image of my invoice that came with the laptop. In the top right you can see the order date and the date the item was shipped. On the order form you can see the item and serial number

I would prefer to return the item to you for a refund. The item has hardly been used and still has all the protective wrapping/plastic on it.

Thanks
    James
    Either way looks like I will be going through Acer, do I have any rights to request a refund through either party or is the guy right in saying that after 30 days it's only a repair they will offer?

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Hello,

I have contacted Acer and am awaiting there reply, untill then why are you unable to offer a refund if the item is faulty at no fault of my own? The item has only been used a handful of times and has always had the problem. Surley the fact that the item is older than 30 days does not change the fact that item is no fit for purpose?

James
    My reply to CLL, do you think I have any chance of getting a refund?
    Last edited by Peerzy; 04-29-2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    fisherman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    I had a similar incident recently with a product that was 9 months old and made by epson.

The product stopped working after 9 months and I brought it back to the store where I bought it and they told me it was nothing to do with them after 30 days and that I had to contact the manufacturer.....

I know from experience that ALL electrical items are guarenteed for 1 full year by the manufacturer but I wasn't sure if I had to contact the manufacturer or give it back to the store and let them deal with it....

The store in question wouln't keep it in the store and I wanted to stab the smart prick behind the counter but I bit my tongue and got on to consumer rights and they told me the contract is between you (me) and the store and the store should have taken it back and either replaced it or they should have taken it and sent it back to epson for me......

To make the story a bit shorter, I went back to the store, they apologized for the inconvinence and said they would replace the item.

They hadn't got the model in stock so I picked a dearer one and they wiped out the balance as they fucked up by not taking it from me and I could have went legal on them and they knew it.

So if I were you I'd deal with the company you got it from and let them know you know what the score is.

Check out the consumer site here >> http://www.moneymatterstome.co.uk/8-...OfGoodsAct.htm
    Look down to where it says, if there is a fault it's down to the seller to sort out and not the manufacturer

Hope you get it sorted mate, and it's down to who you bought it from, not the manufacturer.

Good luck
    Our revenge will be the laughter of our children - Bobby Sands

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    ...I know from experience that ALL electrical items are guarenteed for 1 full year by the manufacturer...
    Absolutely. The reason for this is to protect the manufacturer rather than the consumer. Without this stipulation, any purchased goods would be expected to last for 'a reasonable length of time', under which argument one could conceivably argue that a mobile phone should last five years. Actually, a work colleague's Nokia 3310 has only just started playing up. "/

...The store in question wouln't keep it in the store and I wanted to stab the smart prick behind the counter but I bit my tongue and got on to consumer rights and they told me the contract is between you (me) and the store and the store should have taken it back and either replaced it or they should have taken it and sent it back to epson for me.........
    Good to see you kept your dark side locked away there!
    Did you know that Epson have designated repair centres all over the UK where you could drop it off for diagnosis and/or repair? I did... five times with two separate purchases.

...as they fucked up by not taking it from me and I could have went legal on them and they knew it...
    I love this. How would you have "went legal"? Bring a civil case against them because they didn't handle your case sympathetically enough? All you'd do is force them to handle the return themselves and the whole process would take much longer.

... So if I were you I'd deal with the company you got it from and let them know you know what the score is.
    Remember that it's not the store's fault that your unit is faulty. Being rude, presumptuous or arrogant will alienate you from them and they're likely to drag their feet with the warranty return process.

Sometimes it's easier and quicker to contact the manufacturer or <gasp> read the warranty information leaflet that came with the product; you'll often find there's a local repair centre that can take a look and fix the problem - occasionally the same day or even while you wait - for free under warranty.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    Absolutely. The reason for this is to protect the manufacturer rather than the consumer. Without this stipulation, any purchased goods would be expected to last for 'a reasonable length of time', under which argument one could conceivably argue that a mobile phone should last five years. Actually, a work colleague's Nokia 3310 has only just started playing up. "/

...The store in question wouln't keep it in the store and I wanted to stab the smart prick behind the counter but I bit my tongue and got on to consumer rights and they told me the contract is between you (me) and the store and the store should have taken it back and either replaced it or they should have taken it and sent it back to epson for me.........
    Good to see you kept your dark side locked away there!
    Did you know that Epson have designated repair centres all over the UK where you could drop it off for diagnosis and/or repair? I did... five times with two separate purchases.

...as they fucked up by not taking it from me and I could have went legal on them and they knew it...
    I love this. How would you have "went legal"? Bring a civil case against them because they didn't handle your case sympathetically enough? All you'd do is force them to handle the return themselves and the whole process would take much longer.

... So if I were you I'd deal with the company you got it from and let them know you know what the score is.
    Remember that it's not the store's fault that your unit is faulty. Being rude, presumptuous or arrogant will alienate you from them and they're likely to drag their feet with the warranty return process.

Sometimes it's easier and quicker to contact the manufacturer or <gasp> read the warranty information leaflet that came with the product; you'll often find there's a local repair centre that can take a look and fix the problem - occasionally the same day or even while you wait - for free under warranty.
    I've read the warranty card that came with it, not much in it, lots of legal bullshit. Basically all I got out of it was that Acer will repair or give me a refurbished one, which I'm not happy with as although I've only used the item a few times everytime I have gone to use it I've had faults and issues.

Do I legally have any right to expect a refund from either party?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I would think that 9 months is stretching it a bit.
    A lot, actually.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    I would think that 9 months is stretching it a bit.
    A lot, actually.
    Thought so, worth a try though

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    fisherman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Chewie, the reason I was gonna go legal on them was they wouldn't take the unit off me, they said they wouldn't keep it on their premises as they couldn't be held responsible for it.
    Obviously the manager didn't know their job, so I left with the unit under my arm fuming that they wouldn't accept responsibility for it.
    The agreement was between me and the store, and the store and epson.
    So right up to the full 1 year guarentee, the store have to take it from you and get it fixed.

Or as you said you can go to the manufacturer direct, but the way I saw it was I bought it here and you should look after me, and they didn't want to.

I don't live in the U.K by the way so it would be a little harder for me to go to epson direct, but I could have went out of my way I suppose but I'd rather the place where I purchased it look after if for me.

Peerzy, you won't get a refund, but the place where you purchased it has to sort it out for you as in fix the problem or replace the laptop or if the model is not in stock they'll have to give you the closest model to it.
    Our revenge will be the laughter of our children - Bobby Sands

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Sounds like it'd be cheapest for them to just replace the drive.

been send
    be seen.

I guess he thinks it still might be a software issue or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast