Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac: Boot Camp...

Has anyone successfully dual booted windows on their mac here?

I have been considering doing it, just wondered wether it lags when playing games etc and what other users experiences have been?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    The got it working fine.
    The only game I attempted to play was Counter Strike and it worked like a charm.
    Plus, you can use all the windows only software on there too.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    digitalrice
    try VMware Fusion good alternative

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I have Leopard, and I use bootcamp with Windows XP Professional. It works awesome. The only time I have got "ALL" the Windows updates to install correctly is on a Mac. It works like a charm and is so stable. All you got to do after you install Bootcamp is put your OSX Install disk in and it automatically installs the drivers and settings and your done. Don't install the Windows update for the video card let Mac tell you to install it.

I just installed MS Flight Simulator Deluxe and ran it with the highest settings with NO lag at all. The only problem with Windows Pro is it only recognizes 2gb. You need to install Vista to get it to read more ram and I haven't tried that because XP Pro runs so much smother.

If you have any problems which I doubt you would, post a new topic on it and we can help. I set 100gb for my Windows partition, but you can do whatever you want to.
    Last edited by boodaddymac; 12-27-2007 at 05:07 AM. Reason: added word

A wise man gives advice, but a wiser man learns from it and uses it. Smart people learn from others mistakes. The blessing is on the other side of your tribulation.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by boodaddymac View Post
    The only problem with Windows Pro is it only recognizes 2gb. You need to install Vista to get it to read more ram...
    32-bit Pro will recognize @3.2GB of RAM.
    Supposedly, the upcoming SP3 will change that and all installed memory will be displayed.

If you have more than two gigs installed and the OS isn't seeing it, something is wrong.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    The only problem with Windows Pro is it only recognizes 2gb. You need to install Vista to get it to read more ram...
    Supposedly, the upcoming SP3 will change that and all installed memory will be displayed.

If you have more than two gigs installed and the OS isn't seeing it, something is wrong.
    Yea my OS only sees 1.99GB I thought the system was putting the other 1GB back for something. I was going to add the /3GB thing at the boot string but I heard that was a bad idea. That would rock if the SP3 sees all 5GB ram that I have installed. Thanks for the info...

A wise man gives advice, but a wiser man learns from it and uses it. Smart people learn from others mistakes. The blessing is on the other side of your tribulation.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    fstokebanget's Avatar j-e-ib BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    Quote Originally Posted by mattf60 View Post
    Has anyone successfully dual booted windows on their mac here?

I have been considering doing it, just wondered wether it lags when playing games etc and what other users experiences have been?
    First, make sure it's an Intel, if you have PPC, it also can run Windows using VirtualPC, but it's not recommended, using lots of resources and it lacks of the speed

Basicly there are 2 ways to run Windows in your Mactel, natively and virtually. Natively by using Bootcamp, the newest Leopard already includes Bootcamp in the system. Virtually by using either Parallels or VMWare Fusion.

If you want to play some games better use Bootcamp, because the system resources will be 100% totally dedicated to Windows.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post

I installed service pack 3 yesterday. I had to do some digging but I found the download link on Microsoft's website, and I still only show 1.99GB. I think it might be an update that BootCamp will need to address.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tyman's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    yeah I love boot camp. Very simple to do.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    you can add the /3gb switch to the winxp boot.ini, this will let xp32 use a total of 3gb, including graphics memory. Overall I get better performace this way, but some apps might not like it so best to set up the boot.ini to give you a choice at boot.

and it works fine under bootcamp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast