Thread: Laptop video cards

I'm looking in to purchasing a video card for my laptop because it's the only computer I have at school. I'm just looking for something relatively cheap that will be able to play most games on the market today, I don't need to be blown away by ultra clean graphics or anything. What do you guys use/What do you recommend? If you could post links or prices that would be a great help.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by byrnesc1 View Post
    I'm just looking for something relatively cheap that will be able to play most games on the market today
    Does that even exist? I've always thought laptops and gaming weren't a good combination, but hey, I don't know shit about hardware nowadays. Wait for someone who does (such as Detale or clocker) to reply, they should be able to help.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    What's your laptop model? Only very few models allow for GPU swaps.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    sandman_1's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by anon-sbi View Post
    I'm just looking for something relatively cheap that will be able to play most games on the market today
    Does that even exist? I've always thought laptops and gaming weren't a good combination, but hey, I don't know shit about hardware nowadays. Wait for someone who does (such as Detale or clocker) to reply, they should be able to help.
    You pay for that luxury. I have a Alienware M15x, priced around $3k when it first came out, though I didn't pay that much since Dell replaced my M1530 with it (ohh yea made out like a mug there thank you very much Dell!!). Thing weighs a ton for a laptop, around 11 pounds, and has a i7 720QM CPU with 6GB RAM and a Nvidia GTM 260 video card in it for all that high end gaming goodness. Anyway not cheap to go for any gaming type laptop.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    Hm true I didn't think about that. It's a sony vaio vgn nw228f. I'm looking into it now

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    Hm true I didn't think about that. It's a sony vaio vgn nw228f. I'm looking into it now
    Your Sony has integrated (i.e., onboard) graphics, so you can't swap a different "card" into it.
    Sorry.

Plus, it's a Sony...so, sorry again.
    Last edited by clocker; 01-09-2011 at 09:17 PM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post

Your Sony has integrated (i.e., onboard) graphics, so you can't swap a different "card" into it.
    Sorry.

Plus, it's a Sony...so, sorry again.
    Yeah I wasn't sure if there was a slot I could put a diff one into. oh well.

I've had nothing but good luck and good things to say about this laptop though, especially because I've had less than stellar results from other ones