Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox is Garbage, Use Chrome!

Poster BT Rep: +4

Over two hundred megabytes of memory for a browser is completely unacceptable. Freakin' memory leaks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    You think that's a lot? Check my Opera after reading all new posts and articles. 500MB and beyond. It's not a leak, it's the memory cache, and you can tweak that in about:config.

I don't know any browser that won't use "excessive" amounts of memory if you surf a lot with it. With its multi-process design, chances are Chrome won't be any better.

Great process names, by the way.
    Last edited by anon; 02-25-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    cibu's Avatar I gots me a seedbox BT Rep: +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75BT Rep +75
    Dude , you should see my task manager . When I use google chrome for about 4 hrs without closing it from time to time it totally freezes my pc ( and I have 3 gb ddr 3 ram ,i3 cpu ) . It uses a lot of memory . they are all the same , they all use a whole lot of memory if you don't restart them once in a while .
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick.Ross @http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR2F9Km5d0w
    I’mma tell you something and don’t think that I’m weird/I eat leftover food that gets stuck in my beard

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Windows 98?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by cibu View Post
    they are all the same , they all use a whole lot of memory if you don't restart them once in a while .
    It usually goes down over time, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to keep Opera running for three weeks before MPC somehow crashed my system.
    Last edited by anon; 02-25-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Missed half the words, what's wrong with me?
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    That's nothing. I had the plugin container up as a separate process before, eating 1.6 gigs of ram on its own. And this is with like three plugins installed. Like noscript and adblock, and some random plugin that only adds proper win7 transparency to the window.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    That's nothing. I had the plugin container up as a separate process before, eating 1.6 gigs of ram on its own. And this is with like three plugins installed. Like noscript and adblock, and some random plugin that only adds proper win7 transparency to the window.
    plugin-container is for flash, so that if flash crashes it only takes down that one process and not the whole browser. It has nothing to do with add-ons.

And my FF is eating over 350mb. I have it set to memory cache though.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    plugin-container is for flash, so that if flash crashes it only takes down that one process and not the whole browser. It has nothing to do with add-ons.

And my FF is eating over 350mb. I have it set to memory cache though.
    So it's adobe that sucks balls? I'd never have thunk it.

So that leaves firefok eating 200-300 megs normally, maybe half a gig if you get extremely ambitious with the tabs.

Lucky the standard on modern computers is 4 gigs of ram installed, otherwise someone might notice something.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    bijoy's Avatar secret lover BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeCandy View Post

Over two hundred megabytes of memory for a browser is completely unacceptable. Freakin' memory leaks.
    offtopic: what's happeing with imageshack images??
    I can see nothing but 'domain unregistered'
    Teh n00b.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    teflon05's Avatar Pessimistic Optimist BT Rep: +2
    I've been having a problem in recent months, that when I close FF, the window closes but the process doesn't. I have to open task manager to kill it manually...& if I forget it sits there merrily eating up memory lol. I'm not sure if it's an add-on, or FF itself doing it. Anyone else have this happen?
    No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. — P.J. O'Rourke

Sin lies only in hurting others unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. — Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast