Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rogers Continues to Throttle BitTorrent Traffic, Despite Contentious Pricing Scheme

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    The Canadian ISP Rogers recently introduced contentious hosting plans, which means that users have to pay for every extra gigabyte they consume. The problem is, however, that Rogers continues to throttle BitTorrent traffic, so most BitTorrent users will never reach their quota anyway.

Rogers‘ new pricing scheme (see image below) gets rid of the all-you-can-eat plans most ISPs offer, and charges customers for every additional gigabyte once they have reached their monthly quota. For example, customers with an “extreme plus” plan pay $99.95 a month for the first 95GB, and $1.25 for every additional gigabyte they consume.

Here’s what Rogers wrote in a letter to their customers: “With households doing more online every day - from downloading music and streaming videos to joining online communities - it’s important to have an Internet provider that evolves to meet your online needs. At Rogers, we remain committed to always providing you with the best Internet experience possible.”

Don’t get me wrong, a contentious pricing scheme makes sense. The more people consume, the more they pay, fair enough. What bothers most Rogers users is that, even with this new pricing scheme, their BitTorrent traffic is still being throttled.

Rogers was one of the early adopters of BitTorrent traffic shaping. The first reports date back to 2005, and last year Rogers even decided to block all encrypted traffic, just to make sure that BitTorrent protocol encryption didn’t work.
    Nevertheless, Rogers plays nice to its customers, and says it is “committed to providing the best Internet experience as possible”, but how can this be true if their customers can hardly use BitTorrent?

In the letter they sent to their customers they mention that, with a monthly bandwidth limit of 95GB, users can download a whopping 24,320 songs a month. However, if Rogers continues to throttle BitTorrent traffic, it can take up to 67.6 months before their customers actually reach their quota.

In a response to the new pricing scheme, a Rogers subscriber told TorrentFreak: “Pretty funny actually, as with the throttling they are doing, I could downgrade my service considerably.”

Not to worry though, there are several tip and tricks to get around the traffic shaping devices rogers uses. For some, BitTorrent encryption is sufficient to circumvent Rogers’ throttling, others need to adjust a few extra settings to enjoy their torrents in full-speed.
    Happy torrenting…

Rogers’ new pricing scheme

Source: http://torrentfreak.com/rogers-bitto...ttling-080309/

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    These guys sent me a letter and said from October 07 to February 08 I was averaging 300GBs of bandwidth per month and on my last bill, they waived like 280$ something dollars because of excess bandwidth usage. what should I do now? bell sucks balls on my area. o well. I better lay off the downloads.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by onin1911 View Post
    These guys sent me a letter and said from October 07 to February 08 I was averaging 300GBs of bandwidth per month and on my last bill, they waived like 280$ something dollars because of excess bandwidth usage. what should I do now? bell sucks balls on my area. o well. I better lay off the downloads.
    if you have another adsl provider in your area go with them instead.

im sure they will say you are still in contract with them but tell them that they offered an unlimited service which they have changed. this was one of the major factors in you signing a contract with them and they have altered it. the contract is no longer valid and you will be moving services.

of course this is only if you have someone else to go to.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    colbert's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    95GB limit per month is pathetic. I would rather have a slower ASDL service that's unlimited than this Rogers crap.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    thedemon44's Avatar Poster
    Wow. I am so glad we dont have Rogers here.

At the rates they are charging my internet would have cost me about $250.00, instead of $45.00 a few months back.

I feel for Rogers customers.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    saqib's Avatar Levels killing BT BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    it sucks big time .... 95 GB limit

here's my appeal: don't let invites become a currency!
    ( courtesy .PolarBear )

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by thedemon44 View Post
    Wow. I am so glad we dont have Rogers here.
    Rogers is an evil company.I had the misfortune to have a cellphone account with them a few years ago.Never again.
    However for some it's the only game in town.
    I'm with Cogeco they don't throttle but it has a 60 GB cap.What good is high speed if you can run through your monthly bandwidth in a week?

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Only the half of it Rogers is starting to add warning banners to regular web pages while a user is surfing...http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r202...e-you-surf-now
    Oh so great to be a rogers customer...The limit used to be 100g at 9megs...They increased the speed but decreased the cap and are going to start to charge in June...Do to our insane CRTC regulations in Canada and limited competition rogers has you by the Balls...Threaten to leave and they are happy to see you go,they only want the people who pay and barely use there connection.I do believe they limit the excess charges to 25$

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    The letter I got (Rogers) said I was only using 10gb for the last month.
    doesn't even come close to matching what my newsleecher says. And that's only counting what I download on newsgroups, from THIS computer.
    So I'm hoping they continue to make teh same mistake or i'll be changing ISPs.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Blackbeard's Avatar <3 rock BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    that sucks but i have a sucky 50gb download limit, and if i go over they limit my speeds to crap. =[

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast