Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The London Daily Mail on Sarah Palin

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    The Mail must be a big righty-rag, eh?

From the London Daily Mail

A pistol-packin' Looby Loo: the Left's worst nightmare

Last updated at 11:27 PM on 04th September 2008

Frank Sinatra would have got the joke. In the words of the great political philosopher, they all laughed at Christopher Columbus when he said the world was round.

They're all laughing, too, at John McCain for choosing Sarah Palin as his running mate. The usual suspects took one look at this pistol-packin' momma and reacted like John McEnroe to a disputed line call: you cannot be serious!

Certainly, the pick came, as the Americans say, out of left field. But Sarah Palin is centre stage now, and suddenly it's game on.

Stern, God-fearin', gun-totin' Sarah Palin. Will she get the last laugh?

At the very least, McCain has got a wonderful sense of mischief - a quality sadly lacking in most politicians.

The way the Left, both here and in America, are contorting themselves is a joy to behold. Sarah Palin is every Guardianista's worst nightmare.

It's reminiscent of how they used to patronise Mrs Thatcher 30 years ago. What did this small-town girl know aboutanything?

How could any woman expect to run a countryand raise a family? What does she know about foreign affairs?

Of course, they weren't saying that a womancouldn't be Prime Minister, you understand. Just not this woman.

Shirley Williams would have been fine, but this ghastly, lower middle- class Snobby Roberts woman from Grantham, of all places - AAARGH!

It's been hilarious watching the sisterhood tie themselves in knots over Sarah Palin.

They've been in full Glenda Slagg mode - dontcha just hate her, dontcha just love her?
    On the one hand she's a feisty, capable woman shaking up the political establishment, while juggling a family and career. I don't know how she does it.

But on the other, she's a Godfearing, gun-totin', good ol' girl. She hunts, she fishes - she's aRepublican, for goodness' sake.

Sarah Palin is every red-blooded redneck's fantasy figure, every randy schoolboy's Mrs Robinson. She could have stepped straight out of one of long-lost cousin Michael's Ripping Yarns.

Cheerleader, beauty queen, dominatrix of the Harper Valley PTA, mother of five, mayor, governor and now a heartbeat away from the Vice-Presidency.

You couldn't make her up. Law And Order's Fred Thompson, once a presidential candidate himself, hit the baby seal on the head when he said the Left were in a blind panic over what to do about Palin.

Joke's on you: John McCain, displaying a sense of mischief rare in politics, with his choice of Sarah Palin, surrounded by her family, as his running-mate

What theyare doing is what they usually do when confronted with something which offends their world view - character assassination. Every 'liberal' newspaper and TV network has sent hatchet men north to Alaska to dig for the dirt beneath the tundra.

What they discovered is that 80 per cent of Alaskans think she's doing a great job.

A supermarket tabloid is claiming she had an affair, which she denies. Apart from that, the worst the scandal-hounds have come up with is that Palin, as governor, put pressure on a police chief to fire her former brother-in-law.

Given that said brother-in-law had beaten up her sister and threatened to kill her father, I'd say that far from abusing her office, she showed considerable restraint. I'm surprised she didn't put a bullet in his head.

The big talking point is the pregnancy of Palin's 17-year-old daughter, Bristol, who is soon to marry her boyfriend. That's whatI call a shotgun wedding!

Still, it kills the wild rumour that Bristol is really the mother of Palin's Down's syndrome baby, Trig.

You've just got to like a woman who calls her son after a character in Only Fools And Horses. Although it's probably fair to assume she doesn't have a working knowledge of Cockney rhyming slang, otherwise her daughter would never have been christened Bristol.

When Palin talks about shattering the glass ceiling, the sisters are supposed to cheer - except most of them suspect her idea of shattering a glass ceiling would be with a both barrels blast from a 12-bore.

She epitomises the 'God and guns' mentality at which Barack Obama and his supporters sneer. They use 'small town' as a pejorative term. That's not how Middle America sees it.

John Mellencamp wrote his hit song Small Town as an ironic take on Hicksville, USA. He even performed it at an Obama rally earlier this year.

Back at you: Democrats say Sarah lacks the experience for the top job - but neither do Obama or Biden

But that hasn't stopped Middle Americans adopting it as an anthem. Mellencamp must be just as horrified as Springsteen was when Ronald Reagan purloined his anti-war Born In The USA as a campaign song.

It's not that the Americans don't do irony, as European 'sophisticates' always maintain.

It's just that sometimes, my dear, they don't give a damn. A good song is a good song - and to hell with the message.

Most Americans were born and raised in a small town. Her values are their values.

The mantra from the Obama camp is that she lacks the experience to be VP.In truth, she has more executive experience than either Obama or his Neil Kinnock-impersonator sidekick mate Joe Biden, neither of whom has ever run anything.

But, wail the sceptics, what about foreign affairs? Admittedly, Palin has never slagged off her country at a mass rally in Berlin. But Alaska's next door to Russia. She's got more experience of dealing with Russians than anyone outside of corporate hospitality at Stamford Bridge.

Who is Putin more likely to be wary of - Barack 'we must negotiate with dictators' Obama, or Looby Loo packing heat?

To paraphrase the Duke of Wellington, I don't know what she does to the enemy, but she scares the life out of me.

Palin reminds me of the old joke about what's the difference between the IRA and a woman with PMT? You can negotiate with the IRA.

What she does have in spades is experience of the energy industry - the number one concern right now. Palin would drill, drill and drill some more - polar bears or no polar bears. And when the oil companies got greedy, she imposed a windfall tax. Unlike Gordon Brown, who'd keep it, she gave every Alaskan a $1,200 rebate.

With all the hoop-la, it's easy to forget that she's running forVice-President, not President. Not yet.

Sarah Palin: The next Margaret Thatcher? Time will tell...

That's whatreally frightens her condescending opponents. Not that we've a leg to stand on in Britain. We've got Harriet Harman a chewed fingernail away from the top job - and she's never shot a moose in her life.

Remember, they all laughed at Margaret Thatcher.

But ho, ho, ho, who had the last laugh?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Palin (for better or worse) ain't no Thatcher.
    She'll be a footnote in 30 days.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Don't discount the very idea of Palin....

She appeals to racist white America in a big way.

Racist white America will be the reason Obama loses....if he loses.

Sara Palin is probably a fine gubna. On a national and international scale, she's a fucking moron. If McCain gets elected, I pray he stays healthy.

On a side note, I was at a building which housed the McCain/Palin Victory headquarters in Virginia today (S. Clark Street off Jefferson Davis Hwy). They were signing up volunteers and such and McCain's mom was there.

I was surprised how close I was able to snap a picture of her. She couldn't have been more than 2 feet in front of me.

She boarded a Campaign bus afterwards.

A friend of mine did some phone work in there recently and he wore a Obama/Biden shirt and hat. He said the folks in there just stared with their mouths open. Classic.

He really isn't supposed to wear that stuff at work....I don't think.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Oh, hey, I almost forgot - do we have a bet, or not?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post

Sara Palin is probably a fine gubna. On a national and international scale, she's a fucking moron. If McCain gets elected, I pray he stays healthy.
    BTW-

You, sir, are playing the race card, and I don't have to be black to say so.

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

BTW-

Why? Cuz I said the word "racist" and "white"?

Palin is the dumbest choice for VP ever to have galvanized the "base". Anyone thinking she'll make a good POTUS in absence of McCain is a fucking moron. The pick is an insult on voter's intelligence.
    ------
    edit: There's one candidate focusing on the issues and the other focusing on bullshit.

Here's something interesting I found. I guess the little terrorist smear campaign works for some (the stupid).

[youtube]KjxzmaXAg9E[/youtube]

Nothing racist, just some Muslim name association and fault about where he comes from.....

Oh and I feel sorry for Palin's daughter's all-of-sudden fiance. He didn't intend to marry her daughter in the first place. He's roped into this.

If one of Barack's daughters was older and this happened, the Republican "base" would have skewered her and Barack.
    Last edited by Busyman; 10-10-2008 at 07:06 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    I surely wouldn't bet you.

I mean Bush was elected....twice. Anything can happen.

Clocker also discounts racist white America.
    Last edited by Busyman; 10-10-2008 at 01:37 AM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8

BTW-

Why? Cuz I said the word "racist" and "white"?
    Yup.

Palin is the dumbest choice for VP ever to have galvanized the "base". Anyone thinking she'll make a good POTUS in absence of McCain is a fucking moron. The pick is an insult on voter's intelligence.
    And your insults are an insult to the art of insult.

Put a bit more effort into it, why don't you.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9

Is your name Clocker?

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10

Is your name Clocker?
    It doesn't matter. Notice I didn't simply say, "No".

PM him then.
    Last edited by Busyman; 10-10-2008 at 01:45 AM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast