Thread: US military unveils heat-ray gun, and artificial ice

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6297149.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6295567.stm

Have they gone completely mad? Both of these ideas seem truly bizarre to me.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    the first one would be cool if it were safe, its basically a big microwave with the door removed. Theres still serious questions about how it affects your eyes though and last time i checked they hadn't done any testing with metal present (e.g. coins in pockets or glasses) which could cause a few probs

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    the first one would be cool if it were safe,
    If it were cool it would be useless, it works on heat.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    The second one sounds a bit far fetched. It is however still in its infancy.

As for the first one. It might reintroduce the use of shields or some type of protective clothing. It intrigues me that it can travel 500m but will only penetrate your skin a very small amount. Surely the closer you are to the beam then the stronger it will be, assuming it disperses with distance.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    They have been working on "microwave weapons" for some time that actually cooks the target, I thought the idea was dropped. This seems to be an offshoot of that idea but non lethal.
    I guess those clever scientist have looked at how waves affect different things.

As for the ice thing they could have saved a lot of time and money buy watching some movies......all they had to do was throw some marbles or banana skins in front of the enemy

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    They have been working on "microwave weapons" for some time that actually cooks the target, I thought the idea was dropped. This seems to be an offshoot of that idea but non lethal.
    I guess those clever scientist have looked at how waves affect different things.

As for the ice thing they could have saved a lot of time and money buy watching some movies......all they had to do was throw some marbles or banana skins in front of the enemy

I think they tried something like this in the second world war. Dropping drums full of oil onto roads. They did not think that they also had to travel up those roads.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Actually, I like both of these ideas. While they may seem bizarre, they are both rather novel ideas that do little to truly harm the enemy. Neither leave permanent damage and hopefully stay that way.