Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've had enough of newsgroups

99shassan's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Everything I download ends up a 0 byte text files. The download bar always uses green, not blue and green. If they do download, half of the rar files download and the other half downloads text files.
    Changed SPAN settings in sig a YEAR after it was removed

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by 99shassan
    Everything I download ends up a 0 byte text files. The download bar always uses green, not blue and green. If they do download, half of the rar files download and the other half downloads text files.

Your using your ISP's shit server or just don't know how to use the program you are using.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Retired
    maybe the NZB's are not working?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by 99shassan
    If they do download, half of the rar files download and the other half downloads text files.
    I had that happen alot when I was using NewsLeecher, it's buggy, there is a program you can use to manually decode them, it's like yyenc or something of the sort...

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    I've just started to have that happen too. I used Grabit to dl a load of jpg files of all different sizes but they all turned out to be 0 byte text files.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSkywalker View Post
    I've just started to have that happen too. I used Grabit to dl a load of jpg files of all different sizes but they all turned out to be 0 byte text files.
    Hi RedSkywalker. I hope you noticed that this discussion thread is several years old.

Grabit was definitely NOT made to download jpeg files. For downloading pictures, you would be better off using almost any other newsreader instead of Grabit. There are also many websites (both free and pay) that have online viewers where you can view Usenet pictures as thumbnails, then download what you want to keep.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSkywalker View Post
    Hi RedSkywalker. I hope you noticed that this discussion thread is several years old.

Grabit was definitely NOT made to download jpeg files. For downloading pictures, you would be better off using almost any other newsreader instead of Grabit. There are also many websites (both free and pay) that have online viewers where you can view Usenet pictures as thumbnails, then download what you want to keep.
    Why would Grabit not download image files properly? That doesn't make any sense.

yo

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Why would Grabit not download image files properly? That doesn't make any sense.
    Grabit only decodes yEnc encoded files. If the poster used an older encoding method then grabit will download as a text file. There are third part decoders if anyone searching try goggling. I use Forte Agent for picture groups supports all of the different encode methods no need for third party software to decode. Some posters/lurkers in the older smaller pictures groups hate yEnc post so much so that bitch and whine at the posters. I just laugh at the fools sat behind their Commodore 64 machines.

Quote Originally Posted by 99shassan View Post
    Getting started on usenet can be a bit more of a pain than using p2p. Stick with it. Like others have said ensure you get a decent NSP. I would say pay for giganews get to understand usenet then look for cheaper alternatives. End of day if you cannot understand it then use whatever works for you. Good luck.
    Last edited by Windy72; 04-11-2008 at 06:41 PM.
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Bunnies on Fiber!
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy72 View Post
    I just laugh at the fools sat behind their Commodore 64 machines.
    whats so wrong with the good old C=64 , i still have a working one here with floppies and a set of Cool Kick-Ass Demo's

i adore my Commodore 64
    Last edited by claudandus; 04-12-2008 at 03:14 AM. Reason: i adore my 64! :w00t:
    looking for invite to last.fm

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by claudandus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Windy72 View Post
    I just laugh at the fools sat behind their Commodore 64 machines.
    whats so wrong with the good old C=64 , i still have a working one here with floppies and a set of Cool Kick-Ass Demo's

i adore my Commodore 64
    I dunno as I had the far superior ZX Spectrum 48 k
    Life in the fast lane usenet freak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast