Page 38 of 739 FirstFirst ... 28353637383940414888138538 ... LastLast

Thread: Last one to post wins the internets

mjmacky's Avatar an alchemist?
    You have to consider that everyone is unable to vote in the 49 states that brought them their nominees, and some can only vote among their own party in their state.

Despite the shit choices, there's always a reason to vote. When you avoid the booth that day, there are other positions and issues up for grabs that you're also neglecting. If you have no idea what's on the ballot, it's probably good that you're staying home. However, the right thing to do is spend at a least a half a day examining your ballot, which can be found online, and then going out and voting on all of it.

EDIT: I've been parroting this every election since the first time I ever voted; I had no idea what I was walking into casting my first ballot. I try to also be helpful, and I put this together for sharing on Facebook a couple years ago regarding the 2014 gubernatorial election, tailored to my region.

I sized it to be mostly illegible here because that's not the point of showing it now.
    FL2014.jpg

I have no locale now and I don't plan on ever voting in the US again, so that's now behind me.
    Last edited by mjmacky; 11-08-2016 at 02:38 PM.
    Everything is brought to you by Fjohürs Lykkewe.

2. Lounge   -   #372
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    If I am feeling particularly malcontent later, I may let my 6 y/o twins fill out our two ballots. My son with Down's is just as capable of choosing intelligently as anyone involved in narrowing down the candidates to this fucking point...
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Lounge   -   #373
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmacky View Post
    Despite the shit choices, there's always a reason to vote. When you avoid the booth that day, there are other positions and issues up for grabs that you're also neglecting. If you have no idea what's on the ballot, it's probably good that you're staying home. However, the right thing to do is spend at a least a half a day examining your ballot, which can be found online, and then going out and voting on all of it.
    Yes, regardless of my cynicism and disgust, I have two ballots here. Issues that I have a valid opinion in will be properly filled out.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. Lounge   -   #374
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by mary
    I sized it to be mostly illegible here because that's not the point of showing it now.
    Hoi, cock, I want to read it.
    The phrase 'objectively biased' made me choke on a Dorito :earl:

Also, what does this mean? "You have to consider that everyone is unable to vote in the 49 states that brought them their nominees, and some can only vote among their own party in their state."
    It seems mental.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Lounge   -   #375
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mary

Also, what does this mean? "You have to consider that everyone is unable to vote in the 49 states that brought them their nominees, and some can only vote among their own party in their state."
    It seems mental.
    Objectively biased, meaning I don't hide my bias and it could be clearly seen, which is a good thing, but all of the analysis was limited to space, which is a bad thing. I'm not a fan of subversive bias in political commentary.

Other question: the primaries and caucuses are an important part of the election, but you can only vote in your state. In some states, you'd have to be registered as a democrat or republican to vote on a nominee (closed primary). This means that it's hard to feel like one contributes anything in deciding which candidates come to the fore, because it's you in your state, which has it's own rules in determining delegates, and it just gets more convoluted from there. I would have liked Bernie Sanders as the Democratic nominee, but Hillary is just fine given the alternative. Context, you know.

Lastly, are you serious that you want to read it? Like, I'm thinking you're probably serious about wanting to read about local politicians in a two-year old state election because you are, in fact, an accountant. I have a PDF

6. Lounge   -   #376
    manker's Avatar effendi

It seems mental.
    Objectively biased, meaning I don't hide my bias and it could be clearly seen, which is a good thing, but all of the analysis was limited to space, which is a bad thing. I'm not a fan of subversive bias in political commentary.

Other question: the primaries and caucuses are an important part of the election, but you can only vote in your state. In some states, you'd have to be registered as a democrat or republican to vote on a nominee (closed primary). This means that it's hard to feel like one contributes anything in deciding which candidates come to the fore, because it's you in your state, which has it's own rules in determining delegates, and it just gets more convoluted from there. I would have liked Bernie Sanders as the Democratic nominee, but Hillary is just fine given the alternative. Context, you know.

Lastly, are you serious that you want to read it? Like, I'm thinking you're probably serious about wanting to read about local politicians in a two-year old state election because you are, in fact, an accountant. I have a PDF
    Yeah, for the reason that it's posted but I can't read it.
    Like if you'd said; 'anyone want to read about my local politicians in a two-year old state election?' I probably wouldn't have, but now ... .
    Gmail, dewd.

Thanks for the middle paragraph. It makes it more clear. The political process over there is something of a mystery to me.

Objectively biased means that the author of the phrase either doesn't know what objective means or has misinterpreted the word biased. In short it's an oxymoron.
    Overtly biased is what I think you mean.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

7. Lounge   -   #377
    Objectively biased means that the author of the phrase either doesn't know what objective means or has misinterpreted the word biased. In short it's an oxymoron.
    Overtly works, yes, but I went with objectively as opposed to subjectively biased, where the bias is only in the eye of the beholder. It's the nature of political discourse these days in the US, where everyone screams bias at each other as if it's a crucial point.

8. Lounge   -   #378
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Overtly works, yes, but I went with objectively as opposed to subjectively biased, where the bias is only in the eye of the beholder. It's the nature of political discourse these days in the US, where everyone screams bias at each other as if it's a crucial point.
    Okay more words but it's still not objectively biased though, is it.
    I mean, it can't be

9. Lounge   -   #379
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Damn, your face just popped up on my phone, with it's long-ish hair and rotund cheeks, telling me to enjoy my next toilet adventure.
    Freaky deaky.

10. Lounge   -   #380
    Damn, your face just popped up on my phone, with it's long-ish hair and rotund cheeks, telling me to enjoy my next toilet adventure.
    Freaky deaky.
    What did you do, select your favorite picture of me or something? Enjoy the fap session I guess.