Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Carter strikes again

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I would imagine his critics will be criticized for their "Zionist" view of his literary efforts, no matter their pedigree; after all, why would Carter lie and mislead?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...rss_nation&g=1
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I sense a move away from Israeli support. Not just from Carter but the fact that the coalition are trying to negotiate with Iran and Syria. I cant see any agreement from those two without a lot more pressure being put on Israel.

I wonder what would happen if the USA threatened to stop aid to Israel unless there was more movement from them toward a lasting peace. I think I better check my Lottery ticket. More chance there.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    The problem seems to be that Carter's book involves easily proven historical inaccuracies, total fabrications, and sundry other contextual abuses.

He is being called-out from quarters which heretofore escaped note.

Aside from that, your want of speculations as re: Israel seems to presumptively place all blame for the conflict at Israel's doorstep, and, by proxy, that of the U.S.

Do you believe this to be true, Bob.

Also, for argument's sake, let us say the U.S. decides, instanter, to forego any active support for Israel.

Do you think Israel, at the precise juncture of absolute desertion, would be shy about "sharing" her nuclear capacity around the mideast?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by j2
    Do you think Israel, at the precise juncture of absolute desertion, would be shy about "sharing" her nuclear capacity around the mideast?
    yes cos they'd get it big time from the rest of the mid east thatrefuses to even entertain the idea of recognising them.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    The problem seems to be that Carter's book involves easily proven historical inaccuracies, total fabrications, and sundry other contextual abuses.

Aside from that, your want of speculations as re: Israel seems to presumptively place all blame for the conflict at Israel's doorstep, and, by proxy, that of the U.S.

Also, for argument's sake, let us say the U.S. decides, instanter, to forego any active support for Israel.

If they have weapons of mass destruction(sorry), should we not invade Israel and destroy them? Especially as she is likely to use them
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Well I guess anyone that looks at the complete picture and suggests that Israel and the US are not perfect and not totally innocent, and doesn't just blame the Palestinians and any other arab nations, is obviously not just delusional but also a complete idiot.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post

If they have weapons of mass destruction(sorry), should we not invade Israel and destroy them? Especially as she is likely to use them
    Does anyone here understand any/all of the permutations of the word "alliance".

Sometimes it goes beyond mere empathy, convenience, or common cause.

The fact we (as a nation) actually like and value the Jewish people puts us at odds with most of the rest of the world; our affinity is, in that sense, neither pragmatic nor practical.

Is that a reason to throw them over.

More to the point of this thread, does it excuse Carter from any requirement of accuracy.

He has attempted to defend himself by saying others should keep an open mind to his...lies.

Even viewed objectively, that's fucked up.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    More to the point of this thread, does it excuse Carter from any requirement of accuracy.

He has attempted to defend himself by saying others should keep an open mind to his...lies.

Have you actually read the book j2k4?

Or did you allow Kenneth Stein to do that for you?

Criticism of the book, primarily from Jewish groups and leaders, began even before it was published ..

What a surprise! Not mentioned by j2k4 though, that would be to accept that American Jews were somehow biased.

The majority opinion in the world, outside of the US, is that Israel is more to blame than the Palestinians. You can check the accuracy of that by the list of UN resolutions passed against Israel, and vetoed by the US.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Estelle View Post

Have you actually read the book j2k4?

Or did you allow Kenneth Stein to do that for you?

Criticism of the book, primarily from Jewish groups and leaders, began even before it was published ..

What a surprise! Not mentioned by j2k4 though, that would be to accept that American Jews were somehow biased.

The majority opinion in the world, outside of the US, is that Israel is more to blame than the Palestinians. You can check the accuracy of that by the list of UN resolutions passed against Israel, and vetoed by the US.
    In this case, it is not the "who is doing it" aspect of the criticism, but the "why is it occurring" that gives rise to questions.

I have already squared my posting as to "majority opinion", I think you'll find.

I haven't read the book, though Stein certainly has, and another fellow named Dennis Ross, whose work-product was mal-appropriated (without attribution, BTW) and mis-used by Carter, has read it as well.

Both of these fellows, it should be noted, are long-time, dyed-in-the-wool democrat functionaries whose pique seems to be directed very specifically at Carter and his book.

This should tell you something about Carter, I'd think.

I find it hilarious that people like yourself find it comforting to defend the man, actually, given his long and comprehensive record of delusion and incompetence.

As has become habit for democrats who miss being in the public eye (George McGovern comes to mind), he cannot resist the urge to pump up the deflated balloon of his non-existent legacy.

After a retirement of pounding nails for Habitat for Humanity, it develops that he'd have been better off pounding sand.

Even in democrat circles he is referred to as "the little peanut farmer from Georgia who became president and fucked up the whole damn universe".

In this instance, he reminds me of Gwyneth Paltrow, but with the unalloyed idiocy to publish his fantasies for posterity.
    Last edited by j2k4; 12-09-2006 at 11:18 AM.

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    I haven't read the book ..
    Surprise, surprise!

I find it hilarious that people like yourself find it comforting to defend the man ..
    I'm sure it will come as no surprise to anyone to learn that I have never defended Carter, but don't let the truth stand in the way of a cheap shot.

What I find amusing is the way you've had to resort to attacking Carter in order to avoid having to defend Bush.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast