Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why screenshots for ratio proof?

Poster BT Rep: +1
    Why does everyone want screenshots as ratio proof? What kind of proof is a screenshot of some tracker site with almost all data removed?

I can fake the ratio on one of those screenshots in 5 minutes. Or I copy the screenshots from other users. They all look the same anyway with their usernames removed.

Wouldn't it be much better to just write down some popular sites with ratio and total upload and if the inviter is interessted he can ask for one or more usernames to check the values? He can also use the PM-system of the torrent site to validate that it's really the account of this user.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Well ratio proofs supposedly allow the inviter to speculate if the applicant is at least a good ratio keeper. Most proofs are now screenshots of profiles with the login <1 Min thing so it means the user actually logged into take the s/s, but you can still have users getting a friend to do a s/s, that cannot be avoided.

The reason most parts are censored is because the more info the s/s shows the higher risk of getting your account disabled.

Probably the best way to check is get the applicant to pm you their profile link or username. Then again no one can be 100% sure they won't invite cheaters or traders.

Hope this helps

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Torrent Lover BT Rep: +1
    And if the inviter wants to see direck link to your account,there is no way you can fake.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by newswalker View Post
    Why does everyone want screenshots as ratio proof? What kind of proof is a screenshot of some tracker site with almost all data removed?

I can fake the ratio on one of those screenshots in 5 minutes. Or I copy the screenshots from other users. They all look the same anyway with their usernames removed.

Wouldn't it be much better to just write down some popular sites with ratio and total upload and if the inviter is interessted he can ask for one or more usernames to check the values? He can also use the PM-system of the torrent site to validate that it's really the account of this user.
    forget about screenshots, they tell you absolutely nothing.

profile links with a message left for you in the profile are better, but no guarantee either.
    everyone can buffer an account. it doesn't make him a good user.

you should rather look how much a user downloaded on the tracker and how many forum posts he made.

traders and cheaters stay undercover on a tracker. they don't post much in forums and tend to have high buffers with little download.

that makes the account more valuable for the next trade.

only invite people you know and trust. check people's post, talk to them, get to know them.

if you are sure you are dealing with a trustworthy person, fill his request or ask him if he would like to join your site.

do it in a pm, not in public.

when you have doubts, keep your invite! you don't have to give it away!

many people here still think the more they giveaway, the more invites they receive. that's not true. rep points don't mean anything when it comes to high level invites. it's trust - only trust.

i often see users from here on the new members list on high level trackers. people get invited all the time. some even after a few weeks.

none of them are traders or gave away many invites in public.

all of them were active outside the invite section with good posts.

rule of thumb:

-invite people you know and trust in private
    -be active outside of the invite section

invites will come flying to you automatically.

p.s. of course 80% of the people here will never understand this
    Last edited by Polarbear; 03-28-2008 at 11:53 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    you should rather look how much a user downloaded on the tracker and how many forum posts he made.

traders and cheaters stay undercover on a tracker. they don't post much in forums and tend to have high buffers with little download.

Maybe that's in a lot of cases but not always and I think you are generalising things here. I see members here that are active on dozens of trackers. I am active on quite some trackers too but I can't be active in all those forums. I wouldn't have any time left for my 'real' life.
    Maybe people that have nothing else to do than visiting various boards can be active everywhere, I just can't, but that doesn't make me a trader or cheater.

Screenshots indeed don't mean much, but when someone has been a member on some trackers for let's say 3 years or more and has a decent ratio, the chances of him being a trader or cheater decrease.

Trust is the most important thing indeed.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Disme View Post

Maybe that's in a lot of cases but not always and I think you are generalising things here. I see members here that are active on dozens of trackers. I am active on quite some trackers too but I can't be active in all those forums. I wouldn't have any time left for my 'real' life.
    Maybe people that have nothing else to do than visiting various boards can be active everywhere, I just can't, but that doesn't make me a trader or cheater.

Screenshots indeed don't mean much, but when someone has been a member on some trackers for let's say 3 years or more and has a decent ratio, the chances of him being a trader or cheater decrease.

Trust is the most important thing indeed.
    i didn't say that people who don't post in tracker forums are traders or cheaters.

i said traders and cheaters tend to do so.

don't turn around my arguments with a reversal conclusion...

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Unless you're someone I'm familiar with on a forum board, I usually shy away from giving invites. I prefer to give them to people on forums of private trackers. There I can really see what kind of member they are.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Disme's Avatar I'm Belgian BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    i didn't say that people who don't post in tracker forums are traders or cheaters.

i said traders and cheaters tend to do so.
    Ok, read it slightly different.

But I'm still puzzled about where people find the time to be active on so many trackers.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by cullen7282 View Post
    Unless you're someone I'm familiar with on a forum board, I usually shy away from giving invites. I prefer to give them to people on forums of private trackers. There I can really see what kind of member they are.
    that's a good practice as well.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata

-be active outside of the invite section

invites will come flying to you automatically.
    I'd like to believe you ,but only time will tell and I have yet to be convinced of that.
    I do agree with most other points you made though polarbear ,a well thought out comment.
    And yes, why do people feel the need to belong to so many trackers?Surely you can't be loyal to all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast