Thread: need info/advice: giganews and isp fears

ok for a year and a half i have been using torrents thinking this would be too hard to use, well i was wrong im now using this and dont intend to look back but i have a problem or posible impending problem
    my news server is : giga news diamond with ssl and 20 connections
    my isp is bulldog here in the uk (up to 8meg ..i get 4 and a quarter meg)

now before news groups i downloaded maybe 300 gig a month
    in the last 3 days i have downloaded 110 gig !!!!!

giganews has in there tos a clause where they can kick people for excessive downloading has that happened to anyone? and if so what was the amount ? has anyone downloaded massive amounts of data with no problem, come back from giganews again if so how much in gb was it (hell at these speeds tb may be more appropiate)

bulldog have the same in there tos so i ask the same questions as above about that to

any replies greatfully recieved

thank you in advance from a very worried uk`er

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    The problem is that with a LOT of TOS agreements...they have a "glass celing" that if you reach it, they throttle you back.... especially ISP's in the US. They don't say EXACTLY what that limit is either....you just get throttled when you reach it. "unlimited" internet does not mean "unlimited" to some ISP's...though I think it should! If you are going to advertise unlimited service, then it is not the users fault when he hits their limit. That is why the ISP's should lay out SOME kind of ground rules, but a lot of times they don't.

But to tell you the truth, I have never downloaded that much data in the time you have. So I do not know. I can say that I have not heard any stories of Giganews throttling people back....most of the stories I hear abouth bandwith throttling have to do with ISp's.... not newsservers like Giganews.

Mabye someone with more knowledge on this can chime in...as I am in unfamiliar territory here.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreaper View Post
    ok for a year and a half i have been using torrents thinking this would be too hard to use, well i was wrong im now using this and dont intend to look back but i have a problem or posible impending problem
    my news server is : giga news diamond with ssl and 20 connections
    my isp is bulldog here in the uk (up to 8meg ..i get 4 and a quarter meg)

now before news groups i downloaded maybe 300 gig a month
    in the last 3 days i have downloaded 110 gig !!!!!

giganews has in there tos a clause where they can kick people for excessive downloading has that happened to anyone? and if so what was the amount ? has anyone downloaded massive amounts of data with no problem, come back from giganews again if so how much in gb was it (hell at these speeds tb may be more appropiate)

bulldog have the same in there tos so i ask the same questions as above about that to

any replies greatfully recieved

thank you in advance from a very worried uk`er
    I have giganews and got an average of 350-400 GB per month since summer 2005. Never heard anything and never been throttled.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post

I have giganews and got an average of 350-400 GB per month since summer 2005. Never heard anything and never been throttled.
    cool though if i cary on at this rate i may surpass the 400 gb lol

now i just need to hear from any one on bulldog isp ? or anyone that downloads more then multiforce

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreaper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MultiForce View Post

cool though if i cary on at this rate i may surpass the 400 gb lol
    I would say at 8Mb/s, although your speed is at the high/average end, some folks in the U.S. have residential connections of 50Mb/s on fiber (FIOS), and I haven't heard and squeals comming from them. I think a lot of those user agreements with throttling were written a few years (3-5 would be a LONG time in the digital telecom world) back. The basic tool they have is the # of connections, but until more folks get the superduper fast connex, I think that those at 8Mb/s and slower have nothing to 'fear'. Heck, I'm at 7Mb/s, usually run only 2 connections and d/l speeds of around 2Mb/s+ (I have other 'fish to fry' with my bandwidth!), without much pause, weeks at a time. Just this month I'm over 100GB and I've taken several 'pauses'. Will probably cross or exceed 300GB/month; looking at my monthly summaries, I've exceeded 500GB about half the months in the last year.

In short, don't worry!

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    asfdlq3i45poi's Avatar Master
    Hello,

Your ISP fears are unfounded if you use SSL encryption. Otherwise, your fears are very real and will come to haunt you in the near future.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by asfdlq3i45poi View Post
    Hello,

Your ISP fears are unfounded if you use SSL encryption. Otherwise, your fears are very real and will come to haunt you in the near future.
    no im not worried bulldog will look into what im downloading more worried about, as the other guy said, there invisible ceiling unless ssl hides the amount im downloading from my isp?

i am using ssl not sure if it is the recomended course of action to use but it came free with the diamond account so may as well use it