Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for info

I have been reading about newsgroups for awhile now and i finally decided to jump in yesterday. So I downloaded alt.binz and joined giga with a 3 day trial.

The only problem is I have no idea what I am doing! I have alot of experience with computers as well as with file sharing but I can't figure this out.

I think my problem is figuring out the alt.binz ui. I have downloaded a few nzb files but I want to browse the newsgroups and I can't figure out how to do that.

Also I have not found a good site that is easy to search and navigate for nzb files.

I would appreciate any info the community could offer. As it stands now I think I may just go back to torrents.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    First off, if you want to "browse the newsgroups", then alt.binz is the wrong tool for you. What the application does is offer you an easy start with newsgroups because it has all that you will need at the beginning and it does so more comfortably than other news-downloaders.

To speak clearly: alt.binz does not allow you to download header information you can later search through (searching headers directly is a possibility but that's not important for now).

After you have opened the application you'll see several tabs (Binsearch, NZBIndex, Yabse, beta.binaries.nl and more) that use the respective web-indexes like www.binsearch.info, www.nzbindex.nl, www.yabse.nl and offer you its results in a clearly arranged list that also lets you add items directly to your queue. These configurable search options are easier and quicker to work with than their web-indexes and in most cases your searches will be successful. There are of course items that don't make it into those indexes and only then another newsreader will be necessary.

To make it easier once more: try out this forum's nzb-collection and open the .nzb files with alt.binz: voilá. In case you want to go nzb-hunting off-site, there are already lots of threads in this forum with some recommendations. Personally, my second option is NZBs'R'US, but their premium rates are way too high.
    Last edited by Daniel; 10-23-2007 at 04:31 AM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    you can browse newsgroup with alt.binz via binsearch.info search engine(tab binsearch)>Fetch>Browse.But if you want to browse directly try newsbin pro this program is very lite and show headers in compact view
    Last edited by r77; 10-23-2007 at 05:02 AM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    download and install grabit
    you will need to go into server properties to enter your password, user name, server address and number of connections.

you can download nzb files from this very site
    fst nzb index

when you download a nzb open it with grabit to download.
    or just tell windows to associate grabit the nzb files and always open them with grabit.

the latest built of grabit will un-rar and check the download for errors using the pars.
    you may need to have winrar installed. it's never been an issue for me because it's always been installed.

If you are happy with the listings you find in the nzb section you may never need more skills than those above.
    easy hu?
    Last edited by Broken; 10-23-2007 at 04:50 AM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    I have been messing around with alt.binz for a few hours now and things are going much better. I probably should have tried a little harder to figure things out on my own but I can be a little impatient sometimes. I think I will stay with alt.binz for now but at some point I will definitely want to browse the groups directly.

Once again hank you guys very much for all the help.
    -Tenth

6. Newsgroups   -   #6

Smile

I am pretty new to Newsgroups myself. But in about 3 weeks, I have learnt so much about it, I am myself amazed. Patience, as you rightly said, gets a lot of things done.

Torrents are a thing of past to me unless I need something super special.

I made a list of things to learn on Newsgroups and the following things are remaining:

1. Post a request (there is a special etiquette I believe)
    2. Upload a group of files that can be found as a NZB by others. Need to learn about the ramifications.
    3. Predominantly, I am using Binsearch.info to search for NZB files, but I have to find out if there are websites that are better than binsearch.info.

I get very good speed 820kB/Sec for my line. I always use Alt.BinZ SSL for downloading. For browsing headers, I use GrabIT as it does not have support for SSL.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    I haven't tried to many sites for NZBs but I did use NZBsRus to find a few things that I could not find with the search, you have to register but it is free.

I am at the point where I can find pretty much get anything I want with the exception of some lesser know music.
    Overall I am very happy with my experience using newsgroups.

Only thing I want to work on now is using the newsgroups themselves instead of NZBs.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    psxcite's Avatar Pimpilicious Penguin
    I started out with Grabit as well. Alot of people do. But, once you get more experienced, you may want to upgrade to a better newsreader. Newsbin Pro or Newsleecher are the two best readers available.

The options available will make it worth the learning curve - which isn't high at all.
    "Dude, where's my rar?"

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenth View Post
    I haven't tried to many sites for NZBs but I did use NZBsRus to find a few things that I could not find with the search, you have to register but it is free.

I am at the point where I can find pretty much get anything I want with the exception of some lesser know music.
    Overall I am very happy with my experience using newsgroups.

Only thing I want to work on now is using the newsgroups themselves instead of NZBs.
    If you like to browse newsgroups try Agent Newsreader I think its the best newsreader there is with Agent you can read the text messages and reply if you like...I remember the days when there was no such thing as NZB sites Pars where just starting out most people posted with no Pars you can you just imagine the frustration people were constantly asking for repost's ...its much easier now... I must say what you see in the NZB sites is only the tip of the iceberg there is a lot of stuff you will never see on P2P sites not to say that you cant find stuff on Bittorent (i still use it occasionally) but for large files nothing beats Usenet...
    Agent -> http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php
    check out this very informative site http://www.binaries4all.com/index.php
    Have fun ...

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Just a fyi...

Most of the newsreader suggested newsbin pro, agent etc. do cost $$$. And it is not cheap !! $25 or more !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast