Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FST monitor problem.

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Recently my Compaq FP5315 flat screen monitor would not enter the Windows mode of boot up. Instead it just flashed and I had to close the computer down. It would work occasionally. Now it does it every time. It is 3 years old.

The screen works OK if I press F8 and go into other modes. But it will not go into windows mode. I am presently using an old monitor.

Does anyone know what is wrong with the FST Monitor and would it be worthwhile getting it repaired?

Thanks
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    What happens when you select Enable VGA Mode for the F8 menu? It's supposed to boot to Windows at minimal video settings that way.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    What happens when you select Enable VGA Mode for the F8 menu? It's supposed to boot to Windows at minimal video settings that way.
    Thanks I'll give it a try. Back in 2 hours.

Wont let me in at all. Starts flashing every 3 seconds just after the Compaq screen display. Does not matter what mode of bootup I choose. doesn't even give me time to select choices.
    Last edited by bigboab; 04-16-2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    sounds like a corrupted graphics driver.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Check all your connections both inside and outside of the computer. If you have a graphics card it may have worked its way loose, try powering down and removing and reinserting the card to clean the contacts.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    The most common cause of this sort of problem is a refresh rate that isn't supported by the monitor.

Check what refresh rates are supported by the monitor.
    Then, while using your old monitor, change the refresh rate to one the supported by the flat monitor.

Once you've done that you should be able to swap back to the flat monitor and the problems should have gone. You can swap to the flat monitor without rebooting, so checking the result can be almost instantaneous.

If you can't find any info about the monitor, 60Hz is always supported. Once you've got the thing working you can experiment with different rates, but if you find one that doesn't work just leave it alone and it will revert to the previous settings after about 15 seconds.

Of course, it could simply be that the monitor is broken.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    The most common cause of this sort of problem is a refresh rate that isn't supported by the monitor.

Then, while using your old monitor, change the refresh rate to one the supported by the flat monitor.

Once you've done that you should be able to swap back to the flat monitor and the problems should have gone. You can swap to the flat monitor without rebooting, so checking the result can be almost instantaneous.

If you can't find any info about the monitor, 60Hz is always supported. Once you've got the thing working you can experiment with different rates, but if you find one that doesn't work just leave it alone and it will revert to the previous settings after about 15 seconds.
    If that was the case then the Enable VGA Mode solution I posted would work.

He's saying that it won't even display the black F8 menu screen. The refresh rate of that screen is supposed to be supported by all monitors. I suspect it's 60Hz but I'm not sure. Never checked that.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post

If that was the case then the Enable VGA Mode solution I posted would work.

He's saying that it won't even display the black F8 menu screen. The refresh rate of that screen is supposed to be supported by all monitors. I suspect it's 60Hz but I'm not sure. Never checked that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    The screen works OK if I press F8 and go into other modes.
    Seems to conflict with what he said later, so I'm not sure which is the case.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I see what you mean lynx but he also says:
    Wont let me in at all. Starts flashing every 3 seconds just after the Compaq screen display. Does not matter what mode of bootup I choose. doesn't even give me time to select choices.
    Whatever that means.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I have been using the flat monitor for 3 years. It came with the computer. I have changed to VGA with no effect. I also set the refresh rate as low as I could. Still no effect.

Could it be anything to do with the fact that the monitor is 3 weeks over its Guarantee date?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast