Thread: New to Newsgroups, some info please

Hi there,
    I have just recently started using Newsgroups. I have very little knowledge about them but do like to try to work out best way to use anything pc or internet related. I have signed up to Newsdemon, an unlimited download package with apparently 20 connections. This also gives me Newsrover to search with.
    My inquisitive mind has already messed about with the configuration on newsrover several times. Had to reinstal a few times also cos i aint always the most patient.
    I have found that NZB files seem to be an index of all parts of a file i wish to download. So i use the NZB index from this site to download full files.
    Anyway heres some questions if anyone can help.
    In Newsrover, the default settings are 3 connections to subscribed newsgroups, 3 to autoscan and then it is set as a total of 3. My arithmetic would set it to 6 but i assume it is a total of 3 for some reason. Now if i am downloading an NZB file does altering these settings make any difference to download speed or do they only matter if i do a search in a newsgroup for a file.
    In the configuration there is a NNTP port set, there is also a check box for an SSL connection to port. Newsdemon do have an SSL newsserver. There are 4 newsservers listed in a drop down box, one of which is secure. Should i tick this SSL connection box for all 4 servers, for the secure server or for none of them, would it make any difference. Can anyone point me in the right direction for an easy to explain guide to using newsgroups, getting best speeds, understanding configration etc. Thanks for any help in advance.

Sory shoud have mentioned i have 50 meg broadband, so any advice on best settings for No. of connections etc welcomed.
    Last edited by doc2009; 07-05-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Hi doc2009,

I'm happy to help you get set up correctly and explain anything you need know, do you have MSN/WLM or another type of IM service we could use to talk? It's easier to help by using one of those.

-UsenetGuy
    Last edited by UsenetGuy; 07-05-2009 at 08:47 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Thanks for replying, sorry for delay in getting back to you.
    Tried to message you with my msn address but cant seem to do this.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by doc2009 View Post
    Thanks for replying, sorry for delay in getting back to you.
    Tried to message you with my msn address but cant seem to do this.
    Ah right, you probably don't have access to the PM system yet. You can add me though, my msn address is [email protected]
    Last edited by UsenetGuy; 07-09-2009 at 02:34 PM.