Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why "rar" format?

pdj2's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    why most of the private trackers put files in "rar" format? its a reason that makes me download from zamunda how ever the speed is much less tha a site like TL .
    now all the new trackers also have files in rar format , if someone needed to download a 4 gig file he has to have 8 gig space and many more negativity which u have to accept if u downloaded a "rar" file .
    http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-everything-related-board-9/t-signature-avatar-rules-83183

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    mysterious's Avatar POLAK BT Rep: +3
    It's scene requirement, scene format. If trackers need to have good pres, then the only way is uploading rars

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    rars are smaller than an iso (for games and apps especially, movies not much better tbh)

its a scene rule for most things

its how newsgroups are done

someone unrars a release, uploads the iso, no one can help him, he leaves the rars in tact, uploads them, a lot of users can help seed it.

unraring a scene release and uploading it as an iso and chenging the name or at least not giving credit to the scene is a big no no imho.

sometimes, but not often i must admit, pieces fail hash checks, and lately with the scene there have been quit a few rar fixes on games. it means you only have to redownload a small chunk, than the whole iso again.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    grimms's Avatar Excuse Me? BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    rars are smaller than an iso (for games and apps especially, movies not much better tbh)

its a scene rule for most things

its how newsgroups are done

someone unrars a release, uploads the iso, no one can help him, he leaves the rars in tact, uploads them, a lot of users can help seed it.

unraring a scene release and uploading it as an iso and chenging the name or at least not giving credit to the scene is a big no no imho.

sometimes, but not often i must admit, pieces fail hash checks, and lately with the scene there have been quit a few rar fixes on games. it means you only have to redownload a small chunk, than the whole iso again.
    Yup. Plus it benefits you if you want to build up your ratios on sites like bcg or TL. It can be a pain once you download it then have to unrar but i rather have to redownload a small chunk (rar file) if a file is corrupted versus a 4.7 gb iso which is one big file.

Excuse Me?
    Didn't Think So!

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    arkadaşlar türkiyeden tanıdık var mı*

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    The benefits far outweigh the needed harddrive space (which is temporary).
    Ask me about my self-esteem!

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    $we's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by pdj2 View Post
    if someone needed to download a 4 gig file he has to have 8 gig space
    bah, moot point.
    Last edited by $we; 12-31-2007 at 12:53 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pdj2 View Post
    f someone needed to download a 4 gig file he has to have 8 gig space
    If you don't have 8 GB of HDD space, you have more to worry about than downloading RARs.
    Sig goes here.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    fstokebanget's Avatar j-e-ib BT Rep: +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60BT Rep +60
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBob View Post
    good explanation there

also think of this, with so many rars in a torrent, you could select to download partially so you could partially seed that torrent

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast