Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some questions 4 torrent users

GINZY's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    - U use laptop or desktop for torrenting ?
    - Ur PC can have a rest after finish torrenting or it have to work until it die ?
    Ur PC is on 24/7 or u turn if off sometimes?
    -Save the electronic bill : laptop or desktop (especially when torrenting )

just got a laptop , now i want it with my Desktop PC to download torrent .
    is it good for my new laptop to grab torrent 24/7 ?
    IF not , i will only use IDM to download files from the server cause i mainly use seedbox to get torrent

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    I leave my desktop seeding 24/7, power isnt too bad since its only one box right now and 600watts

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    L3ST's Avatar Mt Love BT Rep: +1
    Using a laptop for 24/7 seeding is not recommended. You will kill the battery in .. 5-6 months. Laptops are made for casual use, or let's say 3-4 hours a day maximum. There is always the risk of overheating because of the high-usage of the HDD and it could crash in a couple of days. Usually the laptops have a 5.400 rpm HDD and that means you can't get high speeds, but if you do .. your laptop will not be usable during the download/upload.

I use a Desktop pc for seeding. Used to seed 24/7 but now I have a high bandwith so I can save a little on the power bill. seeding about 14-16 hours a day now.

I don't get the resting part. If you download, you have to seed. So .. no rest for your PC. You can close the PC when all tasks are at 1.0 ratio ( 0,6 ; 0.7 or what the tracker minimum ratio is ) or you seeded enough, nobody is gonna ask you to overseed or seed more than .. 72 hours let's say ( ex: FTN )

Get a Desktop for torrenting, laptops are made for mobility not high-usage.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Shalafi's Avatar The Trader BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by GINZY View Post
    - Ur PC can have a rest after finish torrenting or it have to work until it die ?

IF not , i will only use IDM to download files from the server cause i mainly use seedbox to get torrent
    my laptop is open for more than 30 days 24/7.. in 30 days i think i closed 3 hours maximum

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    pandapop's Avatar +OK 3fds/fog43/dfs5l BT Rep: +1
    i have a laptop and desktop. laptop is running 24/7 on torrents. its been running over a year, gets turned off maybe once every 6 weeks, and its fine. the battery is as good as when it was new. no problems whatsoever.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    L3ST's Avatar Mt Love BT Rep: +1
    Erm ... you guys are lucky. The battery on my laptop crashed after 1.5 years of 2 hours/day use My bad.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    thegman24's Avatar 100% American BadA$$ BT Rep: +2
    I run my computer about 16 hours a day, sometimes more, I was supposed to use it for music originally. But then someone pointed out I had no talent, and so I started using it for torrent-ing. Works pretty well, actually.

-TheGman

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    My desktop torrents sometimes, it barely works (i've had it since 2001) but its on 24/7. It only goes off when the power goes out.

My laptop.. is ghetto. I have a cheap gateway, torrent almost everything on here, leave it on 24/7 but its been started to show problems. Its about a year and 3 months old, but the battery lasts.. not very long, and the fan is broken. I have to leave it on to get 1.0 ratio as I only have 60kb/s upload.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Neither. I use a former PC of mine as a server with a multitude of tasks to perform. As this server works as an internet router, file server, local testing webserver it made sense to move torrent-downloads there as well.

My PC is usually running when I'm at home, my laptop only in order to synchronize data.

Depends what you mean with "good". Your laptop will consume less power than the desktop alternative which is a good thing, on the other hand I wouldn't want to use my laptop 24/7 because most models aren't built with this usage in mind. Much is depending on your usage because would you want to take a break from seeding and/or downloading just because you have to leave home with your mobile computer? There are distinct advantages to a 24/7 running (server-like) PC in your home.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    my laptop is open for more than 30 days 24/7.. I can't close my laptop :d ...i can sleep But My laptop can't sleep No restart no stand by My laptop Open 24 hours
    I Don't Like The Drugs.... But The Drugs Like Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast