Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. what.cd

Poster BT Rep: +2
    Waffles could still return. There was a staff comment about it returning soon, but no definite date. A couple of possible new music sites starting, so it is not all doom and gloom.
    LSS #1

2. BitTorrent   -   #62
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Jesus Christ this site just shut down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no wait ,my mistake, that's just the normal amount of activity.

Too bad really, I had a special dirge ready that I was going to present to the Facebook FST refugee group and everything.

Well at least I still have my collage.
    Rip fst

Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. BitTorrent   -   #63
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I'm pretty sure that OlegL ratted us out to the coppers on promise of sex.

That's my operating theory but I won't know if it's true or not until I'm able to waterboard him.
    Respect my lack of authority.

4. BitTorrent   -   #64
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I'm pretty sure that OlegL ratted us out to the coppers on promise of sex.

That's my operating theory but I won't know if it's true or not until I'm able to waterboard him.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. BitTorrent   -   #65
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    "Learn from our successes and learn from our failings."

How can any subsequent sites learn from your failings when there's been nothing but secrecy surrounding what ultimately led to the failures?

yo

6. BitTorrent   -   #66
    Quote Originally Posted by smcewa11 View Post
    Waffles could still return. There was a staff comment about it returning soon, but no definite date.
    But is there any information about why they're down to begin with? And while exceptionally long, this isn't their first downtime this year either. That and the surprise domain change made them lose a lot of people and torrents. If they returned now, they could certainly compensate with an influx of What.cd refugees (a term that makes me want to puke, yet I'll use for the sake of convenience). It doesn't look like that will happen in time, though.
    Last edited by anon; 11-21-2016 at 04:14 AM. Reason: I just wasn't happy with the original phrasing.
    "I just remembered something that happened a long time ago."

7. BitTorrent   -   #67
    ramishka's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Waffles.ch now shows an interesting image http://waffles.ch/
    Also, an ex-staffer posted this image on reddit, with the caption "Soon" https://i.redd.it/8e0rlzjiivyx.png

8. BitTorrent   -   #68
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I'm holding out hope that some of the minds behind what.cds innovations will come together and give us something brand new. Waffles will never be able to fill the void of whatcd
    Last edited by 1000possibleclaws; 11-21-2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. BitTorrent   -   #69
    Poster BT Rep: +2
    The waffles pic is now titled: Just moving things around a bit, back soon!" **link removed** -Skiz

edit: saw this in a post:

OK. here, finally is the story. Waffles went down for financial reasons, and stayed down due to staff issues that will not be hashed in public, don't bother asking. Lack of communication was because of the staff element, I was hoping the downtime would last a day or two at most at the beginning, but that obviously isn't what happened. This happened at a really inopportune time, we were just as surprised at what happened since we went down as you were.
    We've changed hosts to get a situation that is within our current means. We still owe a debt to the old host that will need payment, and we still need money to pay it. Because we're changing hosts (and equipment), we don't know how long it will take before we are able to come back up. But I will make sure our twitter and this space are updated with news as it comes, particularly if an ETA arrives.
    Some answers to frequently asked questions: No, we're not adopting gazelle. The amount of development time it would take to do that is not available. For now, things will be as they were when we went down.
    No data appears to be lost, we have the site code as it was when we went offline.
    We're keeping the current invite policy in place when we reopen. We recruit at a couple of private torrent sites, plus invites are open. So will we offer something more liberal? That depends on what we find our current capacity to be after we get set up.
    That's all for now. Let's hope the migration goes simple and easy.

Last edited by Skiz; 11-22-2016 at 10:22 PM. Reason: link removed
    LSS #1

10. BitTorrent   -   #70
    R.I.P what.cd

this had to be the biggest torrent site in the history of torrent sites

and no backups ?

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast